It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travellers from the future 'could be here in weeks'.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Time travellers from the future 'could be here in weeks'.

www.telegraph.co.uk

Prof Irina Aref'eva and Dr Igor Volovich, mathematical physicists at the Steklov Mathematical Institute in Moscow believe that the vast experiment at CERN, the European particle physics centre near Geneva in Switzerland, may turn out to be the world's first time machine, reports New Scientist
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit for link

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Havalon]

(Mod edit: Fixed link to article. --Majic)

[edit on 8/22/2008 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The report opens up a whole new can of worms!

While Earth's gravity produces gentle distortions in spacetime the LHC energy can distort time so much that it loops back on itself. These loops are known to physicists as "closed timelike curves" and they ought, at least in theory, to allow us to revisit some past moment.

The CERN particle accelerator has already been cooled down to its operating temperature, (270˚ Celsius) and the first ‘protons’ have been inserted!

The first particles have been injected into the biggest atom smasher on the planet, marking the start of the countdown to probing the secrets of the universe.

So keep an eye out for project leader Lyn Evans popping up looking confused in a mall near you!

H

(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to include ex

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Havalon

if this is true and plausible

then its already happened and the future is set in stone

In other words, visitors from the future already exist today

i believe if time traveled existed

we would not

in the infinite vastness of time- there's be someone who'd get their hands on it to destroy everything in existence.

just my 2 pennies though

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Isn't this a paradox? Wouldn't they already be here?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkAkaSilent

No because in theory, you can`t travel back in time beyond when the first time machine was created and activated. So technically, any future time travellers would only be able to travel as far back as to when the LHC is activated.

Of course thats assuming there's no secret time machines anywhere

[edit on 21-8-2008 by ben420]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

That is a moot question (and a good one!) Mark,
the LHC is due to commence full operation in 2010 so there is a conundrum! has the future already been!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Thanks for the post Andrew E,
Why would they want to destroy it though?

H

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

How can you say for sure that they aren't?

Maybe time travellers have been here for thousands of years.

Perhaps what we are experiencing now is the 10,000,000'th different version of life and history here on planet Earth. Maybe the history of man has been manipulated over and over again. How would we know the difference?

Think about it

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon

Thanks for the post Andrew E,
Why would they want to destroy it though?

H

there are people that exist who only exist to destroy

take the new batman movie - an dhow the joker was depicted. He didnt kill for fun. He didnt kill for revenge. He just killed. It was just who he was.

Call it mental illness
Call it revenge

Call it whatever, but the natural and impulsed nature of human beings seems to be a paradox in its self

humans create music and art
but destroy it with war and bigotry

both sides have their extremes and with war and bigotry comes ultimate destruction.

Someone would want to destroy all of existance because .... _______ insert series of events here.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Okay Andrew E, I'm gonna go with - there might be pretty heavy security around this thing!

and yup! there are some strange people out there!
H

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
But more so
my comment is based on odds

the odds that in the next 500,000 yeras of human existance (or whatever amount you wish to designate) that not a single person exists with both the desire and capability to travel back in time and destroy all of existance is not odds i would want to bet against

it only takes 1

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon

Okay Andrew E, I'm gonna go with - there might be pretty heavy security around this thing!

and yup! there are some strange people out there!
H
'

i'm sure there was very heavy security around the first atomic bomb too

now everyone knows how it works - and those with enough money can make one...

all it takes is time for the technology to become conceivable for the right minds - and its going to hit the black market.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by MarkAkaSilent

In short, no. There are no paradoxes. The universe, more appopriately called a world-line, is only one universe of many that coexist in what is the multiverse. Do a google search on "MWI wiki" or "many world interpretation" or "relative state formulation" for info.

-Euclid

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think we're talking about a temporal dimension in a way that is incompatible with the properties it possesses.

Just like in a 2-D Universe you might wish you had the 'power' to go through one of the 2-D 'walls'.

BUT, to 'get to the other side of the "wall"' you wouldn't go through it, you'd go 'over' it, a concept which doesn't exist in 2-D Universes.

So by talking about going 'back' in time if we're really talking about 'hopping dimensions', then there's no paradox and 'people' don't (and can't) go back to their own time and meet themselves.

Fifth dimensional beings might be able to 'go back in time', but it would be something different than what we're trying to discuss.

2 cents.

link   
I have a time machine, but no one believes me since I can only send people back in time and they get stuck there. So those that I do send back try to leave me little gifts, like the Pyramids and Stonehenge.

Then there is the problem of language. Everyone always askes me why they don't just leave me a note written in stone in English. The problem there is, that every time I send someone back, English changes from what it once was without any of us here realizing it. So in other words, yesterday we were all speaking ancient Greek, and a few days before Aramaic, etc.

Just kidding actually. Just some free-style thinking about time-travel.

Another poster mentioned that one can't travel back past when the first time machine was invented. I have heard that before, and figure that is probably true, but of course that is only a "best guess" with our current understanding of the multi-verse.

link   

That LHC takes up a lot of ground area, and a whole lot of money plus engineering on a pretty impressive style. Not exactly a thing that could be duplicated, unnoticed.

But if there is a 'will' then there usually is 'way!
H

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Who says they ARE NOT HERE already...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
this is old news isnt it? the fist link go;s nowhere for me, and the second is to the mainpage of the telegraph

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

Sorry about that!
I seem to be having trouble with it! (it worked before??)

Cut and paste:
http:// www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/06/scitime106.xml

(take out the spaces first)

H

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I wonder if this thread leads to disappointment or truth in the future...if only I had a time machine.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join