It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggested reading material?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Ok, its my birthday in a couple of weeks and im looking for suggestions for a good but PLAUSABLE read as my daughter wants to buy me a book.... i told her beer would do, but shes not having it!

To explain my circumstances, i believe in UFO craft as i have seen them. Im unsure about aliens visiting us although i believ there must be other life in the universe. I am sceptical about abductions and absolutely do NOT believe in the GFL or fleets of plaideains (sp?) I do NOT believe in channelling or people who claim to be in any sort of mental telepathic contact with aliens..

Sooooooo

Im a believer of sorts but dont want to waste my time on something totally stupid (imho) like "i was abducted by my venusian lover and forced into unspeakable acts" or " the GLF are coming to save us if we all hold hands and chant"

To cut to the chase, im sure there are people out there, who like me, believe in things up to a point but are hesitatnt to waste good money or precious time on a book of what to them will be mostly nonsense. I have seen some reviews on Hoaglands book on the moon but wondered if this might be something suitable for my above stated beliefs?

So any reviews of good ( or maybe even bad ) reads on the UFO subject, would be of great benefit to myself and hopefully others. Hopefully this will help people like myself learn more about the subject without being put off by what we consider nonsense

Thanks in advance

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Anything by Timothy Good!

Stanton Friedman's new book on the Betty & Barney Hill case is apparently a good read as well.

I'll stop there & leave the door open for other recommendations

IRM

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I was absolutely enthralled by Erik Von Daniken's "Chariots of the Gods".

www.amazon.com...

He does a wonderful job of clearly illustrating the evidence for extra-terrestrial "meddling" in ancient civilizations. No GFL, no channeling, just hard physical evidence that we are not, and never have been alone in our little nook.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The only books I have read and come across are these books and I did enjoy them:

Anything by Whitley Strieber (non-fictional, such as Confirmation, Communion, and so on)

Anything by Budd Hopkins
Aliens among us by Ruth Montgomery

I have also heard that Zacharia Stitchin is really good about reptillians, and such, I have yet to read his books, but I am dying to read his books at the same time.

Good Luck!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Hi Expat, I have read your post carefully, and this is without a doubt the book you should buy.

If I had to recommend one UFO book and one alone, it would be 'Disclosure' by Steven Greer, in my opinion this is an amazing book... check out the amazon link below, I've always believed in something but this book seriously blew my mind and is really credible too (and it doesn't involve channeling etc... just 60 ex-military, nasa, government, astronaut witnesses who spill the beans):

www.amazon.com...

Trust me it's almost 600 pages of pure gold.

As an afterthought here is the blurb from amazon from those too lazy / hesitant to click the link:

"Book Description
For the first time ever, over five dozen top-secret military,government, intelligence and corporate witnesses to secret projects tell their true stories which disclose the greatest covert program in world history. This explosive testimony by actual government insiders proves that UFOs are real, that some are of extraterrestrial origin and that super-secret programs have energy and propulsion technologies that will enable humanity to begin a new civilization - a civilization without pollution, without poverty - a civilization capable of traveling among the stars. This is not just a story about UFOs, ETs and secret projects: It is the story of how 50 years of human evolution have been deferred and how these secret projects contain the real solution to the world energy crisis, the environmental crisis and world poverty.

About the Author
Dr. Greer is the founder and director of the Disclosure Project and the Center for the Study of Extraterrestrial Intelligence. He is an emergency physician and member of AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha), the nation's most prestigious medical honor society.

On May 9, 2001, He spearheaded The Disclosure Project press conference at the National Press Club in Washington DC at which more that 20 military, government, corporate and intelligence witnesses came forward to urge open and honest congressional hearings in to the subject of UFOs and exotic energy and propulsion technologies. 250,000 were waiting on line for the webcast - the largest number ever for a webcast from the National Press Club.

Dr. Greer has met with and provided briefings for senior members of government, military and intelligence operations in the United States and around the world, including senior CIA officials, Joint Chiefs of Staff, senior members of congress and congressional committees, senior United Nations leadership and diplomats, senior military officials in the United Kingdom and Europe among others.

Dr. Greer has been seen and heard by millions world-wide on shows such as The Larry King show, BBC, NTV in Japan, The Voice of America and many others. He has addressed tens of thousands of people live at conferences and lectures around the world.

He is married. He and his wife have 4 daughters and live in the Charlottesville, Virginia area. "

It's the only book you need.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by PsyBreaker]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I recommended "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan to another person looking for books on the subject. Its very well written and has a few sections that deal with UFOs, alien abduction and other phenomena.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Some good suggestions there guys, many thanks for taking the time to respond

I have read chariot of the gods and though good i thought he was reaching a bit in parts

I will definatley add the greer book and the sagan one to my birthday wish list, though i think the greer one would be better as obviously i am more familar with the disclosure project. I have sensed peoples attitude to greer change recently but never having read the book i should give him a chance

Many thanks again

ps, Jess, thanks for the suggestions but im not really into the reptillian thing and having read a few of stitchins comments on the web i think hes a bit more "out there" then i currently believe. cheers though.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
#double post#

[edit on 20-8-2008 by expatwhite]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hi Expat, Sagan is a fanatical skeptic and debunker... I think the Greer book is more what you are looking for. He has copped some flak recently (unrelated to the Disclosure Project) but in my opinion, 'Disclosure' is an exceptional and enlightening read in this field.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by PsyBreaker]

new topics

top topics

join