It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One year since the death of Rachel Corrie. A memorial to her spirit to stop war through non violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
One year ago today Rachel Corrie formerly of Charlotte North Carolina was crushed to death by a bulldozer in the town of Rafah 3/16/03
Rachel was a member of the "International Solidarity Movement" according to Amenesty International to help bring peace to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict through non violence.
Rachel was protecting the home of Palestinian doctor his wife and three children.
She was wearing a bright orange vest and standing in front of the home when blatantly a member of the Israeli militia drove his bulldozer over the top of her,crushing her to death.
They proceeded to destroy the home of the doctor without regard.
Over 3000 homes in the last several years have been illegaly bulldozed in this manner in an attempt to crush the will of the Palestinian people and bring them to despair.
The heart of the war against terror is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and unless it is assuaged it will not end.
Our deepest feelings and sympathies go out to the family and friends of Rachel Corrie.
She Fought the good fight with non violence as the great Mahatma would have fought it.
God bless you Rachel
We love you

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Too bad you won't see this mentioned on a TV anywhere.

Maybe we should just nuke Isreal and Palestine and get it overwith.

Hopefully she is in a much better place...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
im sure shes at peace thorfinn ......i dont think that nuking the palestinians and israelis is going to solve that problem though, the end result of that would be escalation eventually

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Just get rid of the fecking Zionists. Then the decent Jews and Palestinians will have a chance for peace.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
just getting rid of them sounds easy but its not a solution pisky.....making them bend to the will of all that is sane and rational is though

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Imagine for a moment that we (the USA) just nuked those countries into oblivion. Would it be any different than what they have been doing for centuries? It would be the means to the end they refused to avoid...

It's sad that people must die senselessly for....does anyone even know what for anymore?...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The real shame of this is the fact that more people seem to care about the afghani having sex with a donkey than the life of young lady trying to make the world a better place

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcheroftheskies
One year ago today Rachel Corrie formerly of Charlotte North Carolina was crushed to death by a bulldozer in the town of Rafah

Our deepest feelings and sympathies go out to the family and friends of Rachel Corrie.
She Fought the good fight with non violence as the great Mahatma would have fought it.
God bless you Rachel
We love you
Wow, I've heard about Rachel Corrie on the TV before, and I've always wanted to know what on Earth that conflict was about in the Middle East. After joining ATS, I've certainly learned a lot more about my surrounding world, and the meaning behind the conflicts.

The thing that we have to realize is that these terrorist attacks are not going to stop because they are funded on both sides-the terror fighters and the terrorists. All the war on terror goes much deeper than trying to bring one small person to jail, Osama Bin Laden. The illusion is that we think terror will somehow stop after Osama is caught. I think that it will not. I've read articles by University Educators that Osama is not the person who masterminded the September 11, 2001 attacks against the WTC, but those who control the monetary system. For more on where I got that information, look here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The people who are creating the problems of terror are the same people who have started WW1 and WW2, but people around the world are too hypnotized by the media to really see what is going on. They, the powers that be, enjoy the fighting and killing, while they play countries and humanity like a chess game. Humanity will forever be divided as long as we all remain stupefied on our interconnectedness.

Rachel Corrie epitomized the true spirit of humanity and she showed what we are capable of if we all stick together to end the tyrannies that create unnecessary conflict. She will be sadly missed. God bless her soul.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It is a shame that more attention isn't brought to this young lady and many others like her. Non violence is a great concept, however it is one very unlikely to work in a society where violence isbeing portrayed in many different aspects of life.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The state of Isreal needs to be dissolved and, all international aid going there needs to be stopped. The land was stolen from the Palestinians after WWII to compensate the Jews for the holocost. I admit, the holocast was a terrible thing. Stealing the land of another nation to make up for it is just as bad. There's even a new Iron Curtain now. It has to be stopped.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The willingness of this young lady to give her life in an attempt to bring about peace to a part of the world that is in so much pain, demonstrates a compassion and love for her fellow man that we rarely see. To respond to her death, and the deaths of others who have done the same, by saying we should destroy or "get rid of", through violence, those who were responsible, is to insult and dishonor their memory. They died because they understood that violence does not produce peace. Hatred and aggression can only be truly defeated by love and self-sacrifice. Until everyone else figures this out, tragedies such as this will continue around the world.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
i could not have said it any better myself...that is exactly what happened and it is a shame

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
jezzy i want to thank you for your response to this memorial to rachels life and immortal i want to thank you for helping keep peoples minds open to the fact that this world is in need of dire help. you two are my favorite people here on ATS

world watcher i thank you for responding but i will say that the concept of non violence has worked ...it worked in india for mahatama gandhi...if u have not seen the movie Gandhi with Ben Kingsley portraying the true to life mahatma i would highly suggest viewing it

violence only begets more violence

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
The state of Isreal needs to be dissolved and, all international aid going there needs to be stopped. The land was stolen from the Palestinians after WWII to compensate the Jews for the holocost. I admit, the holocast was a terrible thing. Stealing the land of another nation to make up for it is just as bad. There's even a new Iron Curtain now. It has to be stopped.

Palestine, as it was called back then, was owned by Britian. They decided to split it. It was not "stolen" as you said.

www.adl.org...

I also feel very bad for this innocent life lost, and do wish that innocent people on BOTH sides don't die. However, Protestors die all the time, in Tiannamen Square, as well as protestors in Iraq are also killed. If you happen to be in a dangerous area, you have to realize what can happen.

Do you really believe the driver of the bulldozer would purposely run someone over like that? If he seen her, it wouldn't have happened. Often people think that the Israeli military is so brutal and cruel. While I don't agree with some of their tactics, such as firing missles into a car, they are not monsters. They don't use human shields, and they won't purposely shoot innocent civilians/protestors. 3 of my cousins all served in the army, and they would NEVER do such a thing, unless their lives were in danger.

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by quintar]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Oh he saw her alright and that is was witnessed my friend
it was poo pooed by the israelis so they didnt have to take blame
they had to get her out of the way or they would not have been able to continue there demolition
it would have started other protests and they would not have been able to continue there destruction if it worked in Rafah....So they mowed her down like a dog my good man

once she was out of the way they knew no one else would continue this type of protest
She was moving back and forth directly in front of the bulldozer dressed in blaze orange!!!!!
Have you ever driven a bulldozer???
i have the view is great you can see every thing in front of you ....so well that if your good enough you can professionally grade an area so it is flat enough to put pavement down for a road.
until you know the circumstances of the situation i highly suggest you take your inane and obtuse comments and place them else where like possibly in the conspiracies in religion forum

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i saw the movie Gandhi, and yes he preached and practiced non-violence, however India is stilled riddled with violence, especially between the muslims and hindus. Remember it was violence that took the life of Gandhi.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
thats right world watcher so what your saying is they should find responsible parties for gandhis death and commit violence against them??
america is also riddled with violence
drug wars
wife beatings
child beatings
but if you remember the movie non violence brought british rule to and end which is wrong
do you think that gandhi would have wanted the people who killed him reciprocated violence against them...no
he made a sign of blessing as he lay there dying in the direction of his killer ...that was left out of the movie
some laws are ancient and inexhaustible
forgive them father for they know not what they do.
love thy enemy
and from the Dhamapada
in this world hate never dispelled hate
only love dispells hate.
this is the law.
ancient and inexhaustible

as time gos by world watcher i think you will see the truth of this come to fruition

join