It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boo Hoo, Cry me a friggin River...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The news I hear on mainstream media is so laughable its sad.
On the front page of CNN.com's webpage hangs the article title: Wind power brings prosperity, anger.
Here's is some of the article, you only have to read a little to get the point:

John Yancey leans against his truck in a field outside his home, his face contorted in anger and pain.

Yancey knows the towers are pumping clean electricity into the grid, knows they have been largely embraced by his community

But Yancey hates them.

Horses graze in a lower field. Amish buggies clatter down a nearby road. From the back porch are sweeping views of the distant Adirondacks.

But the view changed dramatically in 2006. Now, Yancey Road is surrounded by wind turbines.

"I just want to be able to get a good night's sleep and to live in my home without these monstrosities hovering over me," he says.
Source

Oh my, boo hoo, poor Yancey!
What can I do to help him!?
Take those damned wind turbines down already!
They are ruining our views!!!

Come on...

I saw another similar story on the news a few months ago on how a wind turbine farm was going to built off the coast, a mile out to see, out of the way...
But noooo, a high class neighborhood complained that it would ruin the view of the horizon...

Seriously America?
These are the reasons we aren't going to advance to a new age of clean, renewable energy?

Where are the news headlines of the oil companies ruining rain-forests, dumping millions of tons of toxic waist and poisoning the drinking waters of communities, leading in the death of a society that is on top of that, being forced to work for the same company? Not to mention all the fighting and wars that continue to rage on for a substance that we know is bad and that will run out!
But no, this is the news we hear.

Can we get anymore self indulged?

The story was so laughable, it was sad.
This is supposed to be a serious article posted by CNN... it made headlines...

I know your not stupid ATS members...
But this is the news the mainstream hears...
This is why our old school mothers and fathers, grandmas and grandpas, dont think oil, or gas, is casing such a big problem... or why nuclear energy is the direction we should be taking, not these new age silly wind turbines or hydrogen and solar renewable energies... oh wait, but nuclear energy causes waste that wont die fr over 200,000 years!
And the govt tells us that nuclear energy is the cleanest energy we have!???
Who the hell are we to produce something that the by product of our prosperity is simply handed on to the next generation and so on...
200,000 years??? the buildings the waist is stored in arent going to last that long.
But no, we just hand our problems over to someone else...

Its really sad... I know I'm just ranting, but why cant the govt or general population see that we are being led into a future where the only outcome will be negative?

Thanks for listening...

-Odessy

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i thought that was a strange article to wake up to this morning as well.
i can see part of his point about the noise and views etc. and the fact that these generators got put in place before he could do anything about it is kind of a bummer.

if i were in his shoes, i might feel the same way. they don't bring in much money per year, and i'm kinda stuck with them.

on the other side of the coin, i personally like wind power and would love to have a couple on my property.

on a side note, i think it's a weird story to run on the main page of CNN sunday morning.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I personally agree with you. But there is little to be done until ecology will be taught in schools just as ,say, mathematics are learned. Until every person realizes that we are messing with the only planet that will ever suit us perfectly - because we are born here - nothing will be done.
"Not in my back yard" reasoning together with "we are really green"/"green is evil" propaganda by polluting industries and especially its lobbyists will act as major obstacle that will stand in the way of any serious change in our approach to living on this planet.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

Well, find a river and get ready to cry again my friend.

I woke up this morning with a printed letter under my door. While we were sleeping three of my neighbors, under the cover of darkness, came to the patio of the townhouse and measured the distance between the flower pots and the railings. Armed with their condo rules documentation, I have been asked to move my plants. Mind you, it would have taken less effort for them do to that than to go though the whole James Bond process.

They also took pictures. I am afraid that the three stooges are going to become CNN's latest iReporters. So when you all wake up tomorrow and are faced with these staggering news, I just want you to know that we think we're going to make through this crisis, barely.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Ha schrodingers dog, wasnt that nice of them!
They took the time out of their night to make sure you didnt get in trouble!
Sweet neighbors!

Yeah man, its these people who are so caught up over the small things that they forget to look at the big picture, how we treat our fellow man.

I love those types of people... dont you!
I bet hey think they've done a lot of good around there. Pat them on the back the next time you see them.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I officially would love to announe that I will GLADLY take a turbine in my back yard. BAM! Place it right there for all to see so long as I get some of the electric. Splatter my roof with sun panels too. I'll even slap a geo-thermal steam unit back there. The view is already a bunch of buildings and I know this energy crisis sucks so start setting up government! Gimme a cal and I will give you my address and take the day of work

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm the same way man.

Not to mention, they are getting over 6K per year for every turbine on their property.
thats over 36K per year on top of what they are already earning, and its for a good cause...
With that money, they can green their house up with solar panels etc, and save even more money in the long run.

I would also like to add, its not this guys choice anyway, he has no room for complaint.
Its his fathers land, that he is living on, and the wish of his fathers.
If he really doesnt like it so much, then dont threaten to move, just move.

point is though, these kinds of situations shouldnt even be used an argument against any renewable energy resource...
Just take a look at these:
article 1

LINGLEVILLE, Texas—Johnny and Tesa Whitley bought 350 acres in rural Erath County to raise horses and enjoy the breathtaking sunsets, but their view is now marred by something they never expected: two dozen wind turbines.

The 400-foot-tall turbines tower over trees atop ridges, some just a mile away. At night the structures’ bright red lights blink intermittently, even reflecting in their lake, Tesa Whitley said.

“We had a beautiful horizon, and now all we see is turbines,” she said.

Folks in several nearby towns, about 100 miles southwest of Dallas, are fighting to make sure the same thing doesn’t happen to them.

Article 2

The views of two of Beverley's most iconic buildings could be ruined if plans to create a wind farm are given the go-ahead, according to East Riding Council.

The local authority warned stunning views of the Minster and St Mary's Church would be obscured – especially from the Westwood – if 12 huge turbines were allowed to be built at the village of Routh.

and the list go on... just do a google search...
its ridiculous...

Now, on a more positive note, check out the views we could be enjoying soon!
I welcome them!

Source

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
They one on the highway looks awesome...

You get paid for it?!?

Hook me up!!

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a minimum of $6,600 a year for every turbine.

apparently there are 195 turbines on tugg hill from the original article!

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I do agree with having green sources of energy such as wind power but I do understand the point of view of the guy in the article. Maybe someday they will invent a wind turbine that can produce enough energy so that you don't need to put up so many of them.

However, the story shouldn't have made front page news.

top topics

join