It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Problem of ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Dear members of ATS,

I have only been a part of your community for a short time now, and I am very impressed with some of the discussions here. This is, so far, the best board I have seen in this kind of general subject category (the entire site, not just the religion board).

I have noticed recently that some of the members who have been here a while are complaining about the zealous types, and generally people that don't really seem like they can think a well formed thought. I thought this was just a general kind of inter-board small annoyance.

However, as I have been getting more involved here and there with different topics and as I have been reading through more threads, I am seeing something that actually strikes me as quite alarming, and I am worried for the future of this site because of it.

I have noticed a lot of these said zealous types becoming...well...more zealous. It is the religious ones that get me most, though I do not exclude the others. I will give you a general example of the kind of thing I am seeing-

There is a thread on the hottest topics forum titled something along the lines of "The Greatest Deception of Mankind". With such a suspenseful title, I simply had to read through it.

It starts off as a somewhat serious look into the reality of ETs and the UFO phenomena. It then quickly divulges that the author believes that ETs are actually cloned bodies inhabited by demons and/or satan, and satan himself is using these bodies to divert our attention from searching for God by making us search for aliens instead.

It spirals downhill further after this, and ends with all kinds of "He"s and "Him"s and "God's truth"s and finally "I will be happy to answer any and all questions related to this or how one can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. If you truly seek God He will NEVER hide the truth from you."

I mean... I don't know how to express how I feel about this without possibly offending some of you religious people out there, so I will give this disclaimer: I am not so much attacking your religious beliefs as I am some of your expressions of them.

Are we in [SNIP] sunday sermon here or are we on a conspiracy forum trying to gather factual evidences for all kinds of claims of aliens, shadow gov., ghosts, etc.? Do we really have to be subjected to the absolute craziest and wildest of your imaginative stories, fueled by your theological beliefs? Give me a break! Demons flying around in space ships?!

What the [SNIP]has happened to our internet communities? People used to be sensible. Im sorry, but to me this kind of thing is a bit ridiculous. Next thing you know, people will be spitting in the pages of their own bible more by saying that God is the database on a mothership of some sort. You really are insulting people's intelligence here, people.

Stop falling into your own mind traps and fantasies. Stay open minded to things like this, of course, but don't get sucked to far into it as to 'believe' it or anything else.

Please guys, let's bring some respectability back to ourselves so that people stop looking at us as crazies. It really makes our research suffer.

Mod Edit - removed profanity

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I am one of those who can't form a well formed thought
.... but I agree with you. So many posts seem to take on religious overtones to downright sounding like a religious sermon. When I see the thread go in that direction, I leave the thread. There has been complaints about this recently. I'm not sure what can be done about it other than leave the thread, or ignore the posts that you don't like.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Oh well, it's been problem always and everywhere. They just ought to know better, and you are all bison's schaisse
But more alarming than those zealous types that cannot produce a well formed thought and type it down, are those that can form those and type them down, and by that seduce and confusing honest people looking for info.

Anyway, it is always nice to see people who are aware of this and kindly remind rest of us about the fact

Best regards,

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GreyFoxSolid

Starred and flagged mate

I am the second line.

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

Note - adding that doesn't make it so and starred and flagged is a one line post.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I agree with you completely, but could you edit out the obscenities please?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It seems as though threads like this are becoming more common. Over the year since I have been here, there has appeared to be a steep decline in the quality of some of the threads on ATS. When I first got here almost every thread had members from both sides discussing the topic rationally and both sides providing good quality backing evidence

Many posts these days consist of members accusing people who disagree, as disinfo agents, poking fun at ones religious beliefs, baiting other members into arguing or generally producing a thread that has no plauisble evidence, and, attacking anyone thats asks for that evidence

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
There will always be zealots.

Their fervor will always increase as their religion loses credibility (doens't matter if it's because it's untrue or because the actions of some of its followers have destroyed it), and as world events turn ugly.

Right now, especially with the Russia conflict, we have the worst of both worlds.

The other thing that annoys me, that I've gotten with some of my threads recently, is people who say "You disagree with me! You must be part of the system!"

[edit on 14-8-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreyFoxSolidI mean... I don't know how to express how I feel about this without possibly offending some of you religious people out there

I think you are very kind for not wanting to offend others, but this is your life too and the things going on affect you and yours.

I personally am offended at ppl getting so offended easily!!
You don't need anyone's approval to think what you want to think; to believe what you want to believe; and to express your thoughts on any manner (well, except for the owners of this site of course hehe)..

People that are offended bc you believe differently are usually offended bc they NEED you to believe so they feel validated (and the ironic thing is most of the time, these types are wrong.. they are just wrong in "packs").

I wouldn't worry too much about what others think about your opinions. They are yours and you have a right to em. There is always SOMEONE who will agree (if ya need that), even if you and that someone are in the minority.

As I have stated before, I do not read and post here w/ the mission of making friends. If I make some along the way (which suprisingly I have), then that is just the icing!
Good luck and glad you are here.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I have to admit, religion aspect aside, I am finding that most of the threads seem to decline into what is like arguing school children rather than an adult debate. While some bring forth evidence to back claims, most do not and still argue that their way of thinking is the right way. I was always under the impression that when stating something as fact (not just as an opinion) , that you had to produce credible evidence to back your claims.

Example: Chemtrail vs Contrail threads. I have seen plenty of good scientific evidence brought to the table for the contrail side by members such as OzWeatherman and Essan but nothing of any scientific value from anyone on the pro chemtrail side, yet they still argue their points back without one shred of decent proof. Sometimes becoming obnoxious and belligerent to get their point across.

I guess my point is that its not just religious zeal that is getting bad here. Lack of good proof and respect for other members is sorely lacking at ATS.

Maybe a time out button should be added for those who insist like acting like children

[edit on 14-8-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
As the overall level of stress increases; group dynamics come into play.
Each "tribe" jockeying for position to try and avail themselves of the perceived resources, be they spiritual, ideological or material.

Malthus was right.

en.wikipedia.org...

This power struggle will be expressed on the www. as well as in the society outside the interweb. The stratification of society will increase with it's accompanying rudeness, strident thought, and violence.

It's not a problem exclusive to ATS.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!

[edit on 14-8-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I disgree that this is the greatest problem facing ATS.
If you don't like the views and opinions of those who look at things with a reliious perspective you can always put them on your ignore list. I for one welcome views and opinions that differ from mine.

Society is made up of people who have wide range of beliefs. ATS is merely a reflection of that.

I don't see any great looming problems ATS is not addressing.
Stick around a while and you might find that respecting others peoples opinions is not that difficult.

It can even be enlightening at times.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
A thread has been created to have issues like this addressed. Please direct you concerns be adding to that discussion.

Closing this one.

top topics

join