It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar systems like ours may be rare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Prevailing theoretical models attempting to explain the formation of the solar system have assumed it to be average in every way. Now a new study by Northwestern University astronomers, using recent data from the 300 exoplanets discovered orbiting other stars, turns that view on its head.

The solar system, it turns out, is pretty special indeed. The study illustrates that if early conditions had been just slightly different, very unpleasant things could have happened -- like planets being thrown into the sun or jettisoned into deep space.

The researchers ran more than a hundred simulations, and the results show that the average planetary system's origin was full of violence and drama but that the formation of something like our solar system required conditions to be "just right." SOURCE

Also...

Similar planetary systems are likely to be a minority in the galaxy, says model developer Edward Thommes of the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada. Even so, if only 1% of the Milky Way's hundreds of billions of stars have a terrestrial planet with a stable orbit in the habitable zone, the Earth could have plenty of company.SOURCE

While not explicitly about UFOs or aliens, this could be a clue to how populated (or not) our galaxy may be.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Actually it cannot add more to the argument of alien life possibility then,say , finding a "Earth-like planet" - announcements.
There is always possibility that alien life can be totally different then our Earth-life, according to different conditions that influenced it. Proteins, nucleic acids, water, carbon - it is all here on Earth with certain physical and chemical situation.
Why it should be the same on Jupiter? Or in the neutron star systems?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It helps that our sun is just the right size to have us orbit without cooking us.. imagine if we were orbiting something the size of The Pistol Star

If the heat didn't kill all life on the planet, the radiation would... most stars I've heard of are a lot bigger than our Sun...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
There is always possibility that alien life can be totally different then our Earth-life, according to different conditions that influenced it. Proteins, nucleic acids, water, carbon - it is all here on Earth with certain physical and chemical situation.

Why it should be the same on Jupiter? Or in the neutron star systems?

That may be true. However, how would we go about recognizing it?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Savior, this is a fascinating topic, thanks for bringing it up.

Our Galaxy is a very big place, though. We reside pretty much on the outskirts....guessing anywhere much closer to the center is counter-productive to life as we know it, due to radiation...I'm guessing here.

So far, over 300 extra-solar planets have been confirmed.....Of course, because of the difficulty of detection over such great distance, what we find are VERY large, certainly not Earth-like. AND, of course, not indicative of the Solar System arrangement that we're familiar with.

So....in keeping with your premise, yes, it seems likely that a stable pattern of planets might be out of the norm, but not impossible to imagine when you conceive of the immensity and the diversity of just our Galaxy.

In fact, I have seen theories that say a stable System such as ours NEEDS a gas giant, such as Jupiter, in order to maintain stability. It's gravity well tends to 'sweep up' debris, thus maintaining order.

One could also surmise that Jupiter is a 'failed' star.....a bit more mass, and the whole equation changes.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

That may be true. However, how would we go about recognizing it?

Well there is an argument about what is considered life on Earth - viruses,prions and such. So i guess that it will be no different. If there will be something that would be moving or reproducing or bursting from people chests or even flying UFOs - then there will be people making doctorates on rules, categories, families , alien evolution trees and such.
Of course, if it exists. And statistically it should.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I agree, Zero....we have examples right here on Earth....bacteria that are anerobic. They don't need Oxygen to survive.

I think I read or heard somewhere that there are organisms that thrive on radioactivity. It is mind-boggling, the possiblilities.

How would we recognize non-carbon-based life, if ever we encountered it? I really don't know.

Secondly, would we then recognize any such life as sentient?? How would we tell? It is, indeed, a reason for caution, as we tentatively venture into space.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think that Binary star systems are actually more common than single star systems such as our own.

For those who think that two suns would "cook us," not so hasty. Planets in Binary systems could be farther away from the suns to avoid being fried but still receive sufficient heat. Depending on their atmosphere too etc..

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

I think I read or heard somewhere that there are organisms that thrive on radioactivity. It is mind-boggling, the possiblilities.

Yep.. .check out this link to an article I read... links in with life thriving on radioactivity / toxicity: Pit of Life & Death

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Mainstream theoretical models of stars/planets/solar systems are so wrong and so ludicrous as to be completely worthless. They can't even account for the most basic of observations from the sun and interaction between the planets.

And they want us to believe that they can reliably predict what the universe is like outside our solar system? Give me a break.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

Riposte....that's interesting! Could you elaborate?

No, I am not teasing, nor am I mocking. Am truly interested in the theories you might present.

edit....I seem to have chosen a terrible username....but, it's what I got, and I live with it....please don't read into it.

Thanks

[edit on 8/8/0808 by weedwhacker]

join