It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

www.time.com

How out of touch is Barack Obama? He's so out of touch that he suggested that if all Americans inflated their tires properly and took their cars for regular tune-ups, they could save as much oil as new offshore drilling would produce. Gleeful Republicans have made this their daily talking point; Rush Limbaugh is having a field day; and the Republican National Committee is sending tire gauges labeled "Barack Obama's Energy Plan" to Washington reporters.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The first thought that came to mind when I read this was that my tires are not the only thing full of air. If this is his answer to our problems we are truly screwed if he gets elected.

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
OK, what do you expect from a man who's response to Americans asking why immigrants into this country aren't being required to learn English was "Why aren't you teaching your children to speak Spanish?" and then lecturing Americans on how they should be more accomodating? He isn't "out of touch" he's an incompetent jackass who can only speak when the words have been carefully orchestrated for him and he's been spoon fed his statements.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
actually he is correct , closing the car windows will save 3mpg on a trip , having correctly inflated tyres will save fuel as will regular servicing

so why slam teh guy for actually making sensible advice

or is it you didn`t realise that looking after your vehicle will save you money?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

I hate to say it, but he's got a point.

Think about how many cars are out there driving in America right now with under-inflated tires and bad oil. Anyone who works on cars knows how greatly those two factors can affect your gas mileage.

Then think about how little we're going to see from offshore drilling, considering that we won't get usable oil for another 4 or 5 years at the minimum, and that we'd have to share that oil internationally.

I don't think he meant it as his energy policy, but it's good advice to the general public. Clean up your cars, fill up your tires and you WILL save money at the pump. I guarantee it.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
i got another one - learn to drive economically - change gear at 2000rpm or less , you`ll use less fuel

link   
another thread

This is being discussed in another thread.

link   
In the manual that came with my tires (Toyo) the difference between good presure and low presure comes at 10-15% worse fuel efficiency per 1.0 kg/cm less pressure then optimal.

On average they say low tire presure costs you 50 liters per 10000km.

For me that would be 1000€ a year more fuel cost then with optimal tire presure, driving on average 150K km/year.

I myself check tire presure every time I go to the gas station, albeit not because of the fuel effiency but because I like to keep my car in perfect balance for whenever I feel like putting my foot down.

I don't know about you, but 1000€ aka 1539$ a year is something I don't mind saving ...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I bet the tire gauge idea was his assistants idea while pumping up his Hummer tires. I have no faith in Obama and I'm amazed he made it this far.

This idea is a no brainier not a world changer like he would like you to think he is.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I realize it will save money to check tire pressure regularly. All I'm saying is this is not the answer to our oil problems. He has to be more original and come up with a better idea if he wants to inspire. At this point I'm not inspired..

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yes and converting your car to run partly on HHO/hydrogen would save a hell of a lot more fuel than merely pumping up one's tires. The CFR (and the oil industry) certainly wouldn't allow that to be said though.....

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

It's a no-brainer, and still at least 25% of the American people can't manage to pull it off. What does that tell you about the state of our brains?

It's a common sense solution to a very real problem - the fact that you're mocking his advice shows quite clearly that you don't even listen to what he says, you just disagree with anything and everything that comes out of his mouth.

This is the problem with partisan politics and the running-mouth pundits - they're unnecessarily adversarial, and they inspire their little cult followers to be the same.

Bottom line is that it's good advice, and anyone with even a hint of common sense knows that the information is what matters, not the source.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Forgive me Digital but you seemed to change your tune in your later posts. I believe any thinking person understands that Obama was not suggesting that simply inflating tires would solve the energy proem. Most of us out here took what he was saying as a suggestion that there are simple, obvious ways we can all help mitigate the problem. We went through this in the 70's crisis but apparently lessons learned don't last. Inflate your tires, replace your air filter, regular oil changes/lubrication, turn lights out when you leave a room, lower your heat 5deg/raise your AC 5deg... Simple things will help. It's not a solution but...

=> BREAKING NEWS ALERT

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

you just disagree with anything and everything that comes out of his mouth.

Your wrong! I agree with some things he says, Its hard not to . He flip flops enough so that everyone can relate and agree on any given day.
As I said, Yes I realize its a good idea but its not the kind of ideas I'm looking for in a potential president.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Here's why he deserves to be slammed.

Links used to get data:
wiki.answers.com...

www.bts.gov...

www.newton.dep.anl.gov...

www.terrain.org...

OK...
Data Used:
Average American drives 15,000 miles per year
Average American passenger vehicle fuel efficiency (I am negating semis as they generally do have proper tire inflation, etc.) is about 25 MPG
19.5 gallons of gas per barrel of oil
18 billion barrels available in offshore reserves waiting to be tapped
163 million licensed American drivers
We'll use Halequin's 3 MPG saved figure, even though I couldn't find a reliable source for that AND we'll take the huge step to assume that everyone in America is driving around on underinflated tires that look like they just stepped out of a Donal Duck cartoon.

My argument:
15,000 M/Y @ an efficency of 25 MPG equals 600 gallons of gas per year, per person.
15,000 M/Y @ the higher efficiency of 28 MPG equals 536 gallons of gas per year, per person.
Difference of 64 gallons per year, per person. Multiply that by 163 drivers for a whopping total of 10.432 Billion gallons of gas per year saved.
Divide that by the 19.5 gallons of gas per barrel of crude for just over a half a billion barrels of oil saved per year by everyone if they get that extra 3 MPG.

We're a FAR cry from the 18 billion barrels waiting to be pumped from the offshore fields. Even assuming all worst case scenarios, there is no Earthly way inflating our tires, rolling up our windows, removing our NASCAR flags from our antenas, and resisting the urge to have gas spray fights between us and the guy filling up one pump over will equate to the same benefit we will get from approving drilling in these locations. Obama is an ass.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
actually he is correct , closing the car windows will save 3mpg on a trip , having correctly inflated tyres will save fuel as will regular servicing

so why slam teh guy for actually making sensible advice

Either you did not read the article or you are purposefully being disingenuous.

If Obama would have said what you posted, then yes, he would have been correct BUT that is NOT what he said. He did NOT say that it will just save you a little money.

Obama stated that doing those things will save as much oil as offshore drilling would produce. Two totally different things and it's very dumb on his part to even suggest such a thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
I hate to say it, but he's got a point.

No, he does not.
Obama did NOT say that it will just save you a little money.

Obama stated that doing those things will save as much oil as offshore drilling would produce. Two totally different things and it's very dumb on his part to even suggest such a thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
He may have a point but that is only one of many things people can do to improve gas mileage.
It's more about driving habits than anything else.

Btw, is there a pressure gauge for his head?
He really needs to let some air out.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Forgive me Digital but you seemed to change your tune in your later posts.

I'm not being hateful, I just don't see him as the messiah the media is making him out to be with the kind of ideas he is coming up with.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

apparantly you can`t read either at all - in no where did i attribute anything to obama as it was observations about saving money and good driving practises

stop trolling neo-con.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join