It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"twoofer"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
why is this insult allowed to continue?
please, mods, disallow the use of this derogatory term.
it belittles ATS to have it all over the threads.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
What the eff is a twoofer?

Two For?
Twitter?

I don't get it.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
it's a 'truther' as pronounced by a two-year old.

it is an insult.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

I've never personally seen it before, but according to Urban Dictionary it is:

1. derogatory term for those on the outer edges of the 9/11 truth movement.
2. derogatory term for any conspiracy theorist or political extremist who regularly uses the phrase 'speaking truth to power'

Edit to add link

[edit on 8/1/2008 by pstiffy]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Oh.... well I am not a twoofer, but I'm not anti-twoofer either.

People call each other disinformants all the time. Maybe you could start calling them disinfoumens.

I thought I'd hear it was a swear word I've never heard of, so I got excited... But meh, I don't think I'd get upset about it.

I am a beweever

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
i've seen worse, lately, too.

"idiotic" being a particularly common one.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
it's a 'truther' as pronounced by a two-year old.

it is an insult.

Seriously?

Wow, you sure choose to be insulted easily.

Vas

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I two second the pleasant insult of "twoofer" it is derogatory and belittling.

We all know it. There is a better way to disagree without flaming stereotypes and opinions.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
LOl, twoofer.

I was ridiculed at school. They would call me hey "twoofer" and where your twoof at now?", and "You can't handle the twoof!"

It was brutal.

Ban twoof now.

Heil Hitler.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

i disagree.
subtlety is not weak.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
no official weigh in on the matter?

is it 'under the radar'?

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Well, if something like this upsets you, there's always the Alert button at the bottom of every post in a thread...Hit that button & make your comment to the Staff on how you think this post may be violating the T&C's. There are also a list of threads that address T&C's located on the right side of the Search page (The Search button, of course, being located in the menu under the banner at the top of every page)...Peruse those if you feel the need to also include a specific "violation" by linking one of those threads to your complaint.

Be mindful that there may be some delay in the Staff addressing your Alert complaint & also that they may not even contact you at all about any action they may or may not take...This is a big & busy website after all.

IMO, it's generally just not worth the trouble for most things you may personally take "offense" about...I've been on board the ATS forums nearly as long as the day Simon Grey first registered himself here & have seen how much ATS has suffered along with "growth pains." This site is huge & has member-representation pretty much world-wide, so you're bound to run into jerks occasionally. Some may seem as dense as a black hole with an equally "sucky" attitude...Mostly, I just
and move on.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Be aware this should work both ways. I personally have never used the "twoofer" comment, but I am guilty of using "idiotic" on numerous ocassions. However, almost without fail if I enter a thread and attempt to defend any portion of the "official" story, I get a half dozen "sheeples" thrown at me. If it is considered derrogatory and insulting to use a name directed at the 9/11 conspiracy theorists, then it is equally insulting to direct the a name at those who don't buy into the conspiracy.

(Personally, you'll never catch me using the word "truther" or any variation of it because I believe the conspiracy theorists started calling themselves "9/11 truthers" in an attempt to somehow legitimize themselves in the eyes of the general public and remove the negative connotation surrounding the term "conspiracy theorist." I refuse to grant what I believe to be complete crap any form of legitimacy by attatching the word "truth" anywhere to it.)

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
well, i believe 'sheeple' is a fair statement, seeing as people behave as a herd, however, it is a thin line, and if people who defend the rights of 'sheeple' to just believe everything they are told by big money/power are offended by the term 'sheeple', then 'sheeple' should also be outlawed.

and, then, we can all be just you and me and the other humans.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Huh? Is this for real? No, I mean really, is it?
You are mad becasue someone called you a silly name?
Oh fer pete sakes. I think the wife would give a proppa Southun "never in all my put togetha!!

Ain't this how terrism works? If you feel nailed, they win? I do believe you just christened the use of twoofer on this forum.

twoofer, sheeple ........ bah, doens't matter.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by billybob

I'm honestly not offended by much of anything, I just pointed it out as being very hypocritical. Correction, hypocrisy offends me. It is something which has permeated every part of our society today and people seriously need to slow down and reassess themselves. We've devolved into "whatever I say is fine because it agrees with me, but you better tread lightly and not offend MY sensibillities or else you're being insulting." It really reeks of a kindergartener poking another kid in the back of the head and laughing until the other kid turns around and returns the gesture at which time the first kid jumps up and runs to the teacher crying about being abused.

My other issue with the "sheeple" thing is that you don't know me nor do you know anyone else on here who's viewpoint regarding 9/11 disagrees with yours. You have no idea how much or how little educating myself I've done on the topic. Just because I haven't embraced the same conclusions some one else made a youtube video about which you latched onto doesn't mean I have a herd mentallity. If anything, here on ATS and particularly in the 9/11 forum, you're in the herd and you're playing the role of the sheep. In case you haven't noticed, the majority of the posters in there believe like you do.

It is one of the reason I avoid that part of ATS like the plague. I made the mistake of replying to a handfull of "out there" (IMHO) 9/11 theories shortly after I first registered here. I also made the mistake of believing that EVERY part of ATS was open to good old fashioned debate and exchanging of ideas. How wrong I was! I offered what I believed to be a well worded, fairly well researched, and not overly confrontational rebuttal to someone's thread and immediately saw a handfull of "you have been added to so-and-so's foe list" U2Us appear on my screen alongside several very short replies which didn't even take a whiff towards disproving what I had written, instead merely calling me a "sheeple." It was then that I had my first epiphany on ATS: The 9/11 conspiracy theorists in the 9/11 forum have no desire whatsoever to debate, discuss, or defend their position with any dissenters... instead they seem to merely repeat the same things over and over in between patting each other on the back and starring and flagging each other's parrotting viewpoints.

If anything should be "outlawed" here at ATS, it is ignorance, and being repititious and insulting in the face of a legitimate debate or merited differing viewpoint is the epitome of ignorance.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Just my take on this...

If one is to consider themselves a "Truther" it follows that one should be interested in the truth. It has been my experience in life that truly accepting the truth about anything requires strong convictions. Having strong convictions, one should be able to deflect or ignore such an obscure reference.

A seeker of the truth should rise above the ordinary "rabble" of those out there that refuse to see; this by definition requires poise and intellect. And the ability to accept truth, any truth, even if it means accepting that you may be wrong.

A true seeker of the truth will persevere in the face of persecution. Those speaking out about truth, have always been persecuted and the most successful have not allowed this persecution to deter the ultimate goal, seeking the truth.

Let's say ATS outlaws "Twoofer"

How about "TooFor" or "TwoFer" or ToothFur" on and on?

Rise above this and speak the truth; that is what ATS does, that is what we all do.

It has been my experience here at ATS and in real life as well, that those that engage in such things are temporary and usually without much to offer.

I have been a "JarHead" and a "Pig" and a "NeoCon" on here so many times I can not count; yet here I remain. Those names, no matter how incorrect they were used, have become for me a kind of badge of honor. I realized that when one was thrown my way, I was being effective in my posting and had frustrated the intellect of whomever was using the terms.

Just my opinion

Semper

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
alright.

I'll be a twoofer, and be happy about it.

LOL!

nice response, semper.

respect.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by billybob

I second your idea! But we can do better...

Perhaps a "RedAlert" function could be made available that allows members issue a Preliminary report/alert to ATS about possible terrorist and criminal activity.

ATS would then have the responsibility of deciding which of these incidents is to be referred to Crime Stoppers or Homeland Security, possibly even Immigration and Naturalization or The National Security Agency.

In this age of Global terror where our Freedoms are at stake - can we really afford to take such chances?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I believe that the use of derogatory terms by either side of an argument serves only to complicate matters. I am all for enthusiastic championing of one's own beliefs, even if that means coming into aggressive conflict with other viewpoints. but I stongly feel that childish name-calling distracts us from the meat of the matters which we are discussing. Surely it would be better for all concerned if we concentrate on arguing the points of an issue, rather than wasting time and bandwidth with empty insults.
Just MHO...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join