It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malmstrom and Vandenberg AFB launch procedures?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Hi all,

Have you people saw the movie Wargames?
In the beginning, were the two men in the launch control seats, when they turn the launch keys and enter the launch codes and the launch countdown, is the procedure
actually the same when they launch a Minuteman or the Peacekeeper rockets in Malmstrom or in Vandenberg AFBs?

Do they enter a launch code and enter onto a system to initiate the countdown and then do they actually have to turn a key to launch the rockets?

Are there any documents that can explain this?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by infocon_delta

It is similar, as two people have to turn the keys at the same time. They also have to coordinate with other sites in order to launch. Another words, two people in the launch control facility cannot launch a missile themselves.

Vandenberg AFB is different as it is a testing facility with dummy warheads.

The movie "Wargames" is fantasy.

PS, I worked in the missile field for a couple of years.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.

Also, what computers do they use to track and enter all the launch and missile data in front of those red launch control seats.?

I had seen many pics on the net where they have those computers where it shows all the continents with the missile tracking data or launch data informations. Some were colored green like in the movie, and in real-life...some of the mapping systems have the UNCLASSIFIED labels on top of them...Im sure you seen it.

What software is that?

reply to post by kidflash2008

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.
I just love that movie no matter how fake it is.

Also, what kind of mapping and missile tracking sofware do they use in those launch control facilties (in real-life)? Sometime I see a mapping system or a tracking system monitor which has UNCLASSIFIED label on it.

It seems to me that their using TRUSTED SOLARIS systems for their missile tracking and launch systems...Am I right? I saw this in a PDF documents titled BMS Overview...I cannot recall, on the MDA website.

So what type of data tracking do they use? Is it like a UNIX based system or just a proprietary GPS tracking software?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by infocon_delta
Do they enter a launch code and enter onto a system to initiate the countdown and then do they actually have to turn a key to launch the rockets?

Are there any documents that can explain this?

I don't know about documents, but having been there and done it, I can say (without going into the classified details of it) that's pretty much how it works. Launch code. Verification. Configuration. Then you have to turn a mechanical key at essentially the same time as a bunch of other people in order for the missiles to go whoosh and boom and End of the World. It's another one of those nice little fail-safe things to try and prevent any mechanical or computer snafu from launching those puppies.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Also, what computers do they use to track and enter all the launch and missile data in front of those red launch control seats.?

When I was doing it, they were old, old machine-language based computers built by Boeing. Hopefully they've upgraded a little since then, but there's a kind of comfort factor in the old stuff, knowing that they really can't be hacked or do something really unusual that would cause big problems.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Are these UNIX based systems since some of these tracking systems are labeled UNCLASSIFIED or CLASSIFIED?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

I did my job in the 1990s and the computers looked old. They still did the job, but they do look like something out of a 1950s sci fi set.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by infocon_delta
Thanks for the info.
I just love that movie no matter how fake it is.

Also, what kind of mapping and missile tracking sofware do they use in those launch control facilties (in real-life)? Sometime I see a mapping system or a tracking system monitor which has UNCLASSIFIED label on it.

It seems to me that their using TRUSTED SOLARIS systems for their missile tracking and launch systems...Am I right? I saw this in a PDF documents titled BMS Overview...I cannot recall, on the MDA website.

So what type of data tracking do they use? Is it like a UNIX based system or just a proprietary GPS tracking software?

Thanks.

A few months ago, while on the way back from Area 51 in Nevada, we stopped at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, Montana. They were having a tour that day, but we didn't elect to go on it. We did, however, check out their AWESOME museum at the main gate. A lot of info on the launch systems was on display, as well as obsolete gear including from the launch sites . Neat stuff.

BTW - Malmstrom is the launch control for the Minuteman III ICBM sites in Montana.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Hi all,

Are those systems running OpenVMS or UNIX operating systems?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
There was a story about an enterprising launch officer who had figured out how to turn both keys with the help of a coat hanger. I am not sure if they punished him of gave him a promotion. But i am sure they changed the location of the launch ignition.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

That must of been a long time ago as it would be impossible to do now. Also, he would of needed to get the other launch facilities to launch with him.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Do they use OpenVMS (VAX/VMS) or UNIX systems in these launch facilities? Or is it an independent system written only for the USAF?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
To all those asking about operating systems - they don't *have* an operating system. The Minuteman launch control systems are using hardwired computing devices; in those cases where they are executing software, it is (as an earlier poster noted) machine code. These systems were designed and in most cases built in the 1950s and 1960s. They are not networked, they don't run modern OSes, and they were purpose-built to do one thing.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, there was at least one global US Military contacts distribution system (i.e. showed you where units were that the US military knew about) that used HP-UX workstations, but it didn't control weapons. It was just there to provide intelligence.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by infocon_delta

Im gonna be the first to ask why you want this knowledge? Building your own ICBM field?

Seriously though, your touching upon some sensitive information here. Some enterprising federal analyst may stumble upon this thread and wonder the same thing I am.

CT

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Theorist

well said !!!

i am very concerned about the constant questions from infocon_delta
regarding the actual systems.

it is classified knowledge, if i was you i would STOP asking so many of these questions or you may end up with a visit from some not so nice agents !!! trust me !!

snoopyuk

[edit on 5-8-2008 by snoopyuk]

top topics

join