It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Idea for Veterans.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I was thinking what if..

I was watching a TV show about our WWII veterens and current veteren health care and how we could avoid war in the future and make our politicians more responsible about going to war.

One way to get a politicians attention is to take money out of his pocket, right?

So here is my idea.

What if we made it a law that all WAR FIGHTING VETERANS pay NO FEDERAL TAX? Since our good men and women are fighting in a war that we started, they should not have to pay ANY FEDERAL TAXES. Why? Because they're paying the greatest tax of all, Their LIFE.

All Veterans who die in the war, their spouse should not pay any taxes until their child turns 18.

I betcha the gosh darn politician would pay closer attention to try and avoid wars if we take this money out of their pocket.

BTW, I am not a veteran and never served in the armed forces.

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheInfamousOne

i think conservatives would never go to war again

If there's one thing oil tycoons love more than war, its money.

War = money
atleast to a conservative whackaloon

let me know when you run for president......just make sure you bring your birth certificate with you

And shed all knowledge of ATS - because conservatives will say you're an alien nutjob who thinks we arent alone in the universe

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm sure the cumulative effect of having veterans exempted from Federal income tax would lead to all the wealthiest people in our country to get commissions in the service, have a nice cushy rear-echelon position (never once risking their wellbeing) and going nuts with their industries and ventures.

Nah! (j/k) These people don't seem to demonstrate any real loyalty to the nation, only their commercial activities (otherwise they wouldn't be all out for the NAU).

While I would have benefited from such a thing while I served (up through Desert Storm) I'm not sure the Fed would have tolerated it. And in our country, it appears that Fed is the governing body now, and has been for quite some time (many decades at least.)

I like the idea though!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As a veteran, conservative wackaloon,........I like your idea. Most politicians (on both sides of the isle) are so far detached from the people they "represent" they don't know what sacrifice is.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Honestly, I think any true conservative would think it to be an excellent idea. I would extend it to ALL forms of taxation and make them tax exempt for life.

They've earned it, as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt it would change much, however. There are about 25 million veterans in the US, which is probably somewhere around 1/8th of the taxpaying population. Assuming that they pay taxes at a similar rate as the rest of the population, that'll probably cut federal income tax receipts (which are $1.2 trillion) by about $150 billion.

$150 billion is obviously a lot of money, but its only about 6% of the total US annual tax revenues from all sources (not just income taxes; the total is a little under $2.7 trillion). And as we've seen, the government is more than willing to run deficits MUCH bigger than $150B, anyway. So again, it probably wouldn't have the desired effect and more likely, they'd just try to raise taxes on everyone else to cover the shortfall, anyway.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
They deserve everything they need. I don't think they should be fully exempt from taxes but instead pay a discounted rate instead of cutting it fully. The amount they are taxed will go 50% into a fund to a veterans fund and the other 50% into the regular system. I truly feel this would help big time!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

that sounds totally right to me. Of all people, these guys should be getting a million bucks retirement.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
service connected disabled veteran

VA benefits ARE currently tax free

When Military retirement is offset to VA benefits, it is a shift from taxable to tax free.

What we need IMHO is a law that all members of Congress and All Presidents and extreme court members be veterans.

Didn't serve your country?
Stay out of making the decisions that send people to war.

Sgt Gatley to me
(Ton Son Nhut airport 1969)
"We fight so those who upset us with their every word have the same freedom to speak out in public as those we agree with."

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
THIS is a GREAT idea.

We the people need to put incentives in place to ensure that there is as little war as possible.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Vet here, I support the idea. One problem with it though is that the politicians would just make up for the losses in Veteran income by cutting funding to other progams. They have far too much power to keep themselves protected.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I'm sure the cumulative effect of having veterans exempted from Federal income tax would lead to all the wealthiest people in our country to get commissions in the service, have a nice cushy rear-echelon position (never once risking their wellbeing) and going nuts with their industries and ventures.

Nah! (j/k) These people don't seem to demonstrate any real loyalty to the nation, only their commercial activities (otherwise they wouldn't be all out for the NAU).

While I would have benefited from such a thing while I served (up through Desert Storm) I'm not sure the Fed would have tolerated it. And in our country, it appears that Fed is the governing body now, and has been for quite some time (many decades at least.)

I like the idea though!

Good information there, and you are probably right. They would find other ways to make up the difference. Or they will find some loop hole in the law the would exempt the vets from paying NO Federal Taxes.

I just think we need to find a way to grab the attention of these morons who never served decided on the deaths of our hero's over seas.

I just thought it would be a deterrent from going to war since this country always seems be be in debt.

Our vets deserve the best, which is something they never have received. Just a bunch of broken promises from the politician who sent them there and get rich in the process. Even in war and debt, these politicians give themselves raises.

new topics

top topics

join