It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: The average American loves the French enormously

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Obama: «L'Américain moyen aime énormément les Français»

www.20minutes.fr

«Ca fait trop longtemps maintenant qu'il y a une caricature des deux côtés de l'Atlantique», a t-il regretté, assurant que «l'Américain moyen aime énormément les Français».
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/25/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sorry for the french-fried source, BUT ...

"For too long are there caricature from both sides of Atlantic" did he regretted, assuring that "the average American does enormously love Frenchies ".

~ Snipet French-Fried Translation ~

.... FOR sure that's Outter Space Breaking News ! ! !

No more French-Fries Cowards ! No more French-Fries Nazis !

!!! VOTE OBAMA 2012 - errr 2008 !!!

!!! Free French Fries For All American Citizens !!!
!!! Free Burgers For All Frenchies !!!
!!! Peace & Love in the Whole Universe !!!

www.20minutes.fr
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Rigel]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Whatever happened to 'freedom fries'?

I was always under the impression that it was the French who disliked Americans, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think Bill maher said it best about France vs Conservative America.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel

!!! Free French Fried For All American Citizens !!!
!!! Free Burgers For All Frenchies !!!
!!! Peace & Love in the Whole Universe !!!

I suppose we have to give up "freedom kisses", too? And what about "freedom ticklers" ?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

If you were here, you'd know that 90% of people listen daily US music, watch daily US Soaps, and go daily in theater seeing US movies.

Not to mention the all stay-behindish stuffs, schools and agents, nor the Ford cars ruining the streets.

Thanks to 50 years of Marshall Plan, Ford F°, Rockefeller Foundation & al.

Bonjour chez vous.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Guess you should prepare for French Living Worms Camembert Cheezy Burgers all over the place.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel
reply to post by Maxmars

If you were here, you'd know that 90% of people listen daily US music, watch daily US Soaps, and go daily in theater seeing US movies.

Not to mention the all stay-behindish stuffs, schools and agents, nor the Ford cars ruining the streets.

Thanks to 50 years of Marshall Plan, Ford F°, Rockefeller Foundation & al.

Bonjour chez vous.

You somehow forgot to blame, or at least mention, Bush for holding a collective gun to the heads of all the french people forcing them to enjoy U.S. products.

In reality, of course, french people are into U.S. products because they are better than what they can get locally and they enjoy them more. Heck, even our wines have been beating the french wines in blind taste tests held in europe.

My personal experience with this is working as a docent in Virginia City, NV. We dress up in ca. 1875 western clothing complete with six-shooters, etc. Guess who goes "ga-ga" over all that the most? You guessed it - the french tourists, followed closely by the germans, british and australians (ooh, is that a real gun?). It is, of course ...

[edit on 7/25/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
My experiences with France showed me that not all French hate Americans. The only time I did have trouble were from ultra-patriots, but I suppose we have the same type of problem here as well.

Generally, the French won't bother with name calling, because they just want to enjoy their lives.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

That was hilarious, Bill Maher is a crackup.

On the topic, we get a lot of French tourists in Ocean Beach - they all seem to like America just fine, they spend a lot of Euros to come visit here...

The might not be in love with our government, then again they seem to understand that a lot of us aren't either...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Can you all lay off with the smiley fest, and please explain what this thread is about other than Obama visiting France?

PS, I can't read French.

[edit on 7/25/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
In reality, of course, french people are into U.S. products because they are better than what they can get locally and they enjoy them more.

At least Airbus don't crash all over the planet, dude !

Renault and Peugeot ? Get most world records in all kind of races !

Hey ! France launches Ariane and put up there most of world satellites ! France goes to Mars, comrade !

Well, this said - sure that if USA did not have financed and armoured their happy friend Adolf Hitler aka Ze Leader, err Der Führer, France won't have been almost destroyed (thanks General Leclerc for having saved the most). Reconstruction was the hole by where the snake just slipped in.

May you check the world out, my friend.

Heck, even our wines have been beating the french wines in blind taste tests held in europe.

Source ? American Association of Drunk Rednecks ?

What about Armagnac, Cognac, Mouthon, Champagne that rican people drunk night day dusk and dawn ? Oh you just drink JB ?

My personal experience with this is working as a docent in Virginia City, NV. We dress up in ca. 1875 western clothing complete with six-shooters, etc. Guess who goes "ga-ga" over all that the most? You guessed it - the french tourists, followed closely by the germans, british and australians (ooh, is that a real gun?). It is, of course ...

Well, if you're talking to me about frenchies spending good time into USA Nevada cowboy bangbang fancy parties, I can't help but give you that very point. My pleasure.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Oh man here we go again.

Is this going to be a France bashing again?

" they are such easy targets "

What caught my eye is the line

the average American does enormously love Frenchies

What source did that come from again? Most Americans I know either can't stand the French or the rest who simply dont care about France and half of those can't even find it on a map

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

The frenchie paper is almost unreadable even in french, but the funny, if not truly hot spots, are :

1/ Sarkozy calls Obama "Mon copain" (childish word for friend) while Sarko is ultra-right-winged [?], at least officially ;

2/ Obama states as mentionned that... American loves ENORMOUSLY French nation ! ! !

I was of course a bit provocative in the opening post, however that's fine to hear some of you guys that seems to somewhat like some of us - or at least seems happy to see that french does NOT dislike y'all.

Truth is far more straight, and if what I said upthere is just true (american products everywhere, specially cultural) - and this really being not a question of quality (except maybe for SOME KIND of music and SOME SORT of films) btw - the fact is that America, American Dream and American "MassMythology" are deeply appreciated by most of the living frenchies.

Anyway, I think that's just the same other way - hey dudes : french kiss, mouleen woudge, lew pewtitew femmew de Pawis, the Toow Ayfell -
Smiley Fest !

Oh : SMILEY : French Invention by the way. Just like TCP-IP, or Computer !!!!

>>> "What ? Internet ? Computer ? Smiley ??? Crazy frenchie of you !!!" Go flame, antifrenchies dudes !!!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Not all French hate the Americans but I get the feeling the reverse is true to an extent.

Americans are always hung up about how they had to "rescue" or save France's ass in WW2 and that France has never repaid this debt to them (like France asked for US liberation and entered into a contract) and so their not to be trusted generally.
That and the failure to back them up on the Iraq issue seems to me has seeded a great distrust for the French, and sometimes Europeans in general in the American public's mind.

Again correct me if I'm wrong but I always, ALWAYS see that being brought up on the forums here.

Some along the lines of:
Eg: "The French are cowards, we've saved them in WW2 and they didn't pay us back in Iraq."

reply to post by centurion1211

In reality, of course, french people are into U.S. products because they are better than what they can get locally and they enjoy them more. Heck, even our wines have been beating the french wines in blind taste tests held in europe.

That is pure ignorance.

Better than they can get locally? You ever been to Europe?
France uses Mercedes for Taxis and Citroen's for Police Cars, I remember on the streets of Paris I didn't see one single Ford. Nothing but Audis, BMW's, Volvos and Volkswagens for the average French person.

They're the home of Peugot, Renault & Citroen the second and third largest car-makers in Europe and I'm sorry but European cars triumph over American counterparts in virtually every aspect.

Don't forget who gave you your automobile there buddy, without Mr. Benz and his petroleum combustion engine you'd be riding around in a horse & cart.
The Europeans pioneered automotive technology, that's why the best, most powerful, most luxurious "exotics" are almost always European.
And that's why you pay a premium for them.
Cars a no contest.

You obviously have yet to experience European products. I suggest you reserve your judgement until you do so.

I thought the stuff we have over here in Australia was pretty darn good too, our food, our cars, our technology, even our women; when I travelled over to Europe it was like another dimension.
The level of quality of European-based producers is astounding I have to say.

As for wines, I hate 'em, I couldn't care less; but all I know is look at the wine list at any fine restaurant and where does the most expensive wine come from? France 90% of the time.

Don't knock European stuff until you try it

[edit on 25/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I have no problem with the French people I did not like Jacques Chirac however. Forget about whether or not he liked the Bush administration or not; I don't think he ever had the people of Frances interest at heart during his term. I find that in general the people of France to be very plesent people. The only problem I have ever had is when we did some work there and had to meet some dead lines and needed their assistance, they were ...well lets just say a little on the laxidazicle side as far as having to work late. It was always "Today no! tomorrow mmmmm perhaps"

[edit on 7/25/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Americans are always hung up about how they had to "rescue" or save France's ass in WW2 and that France has never repaid this debt to them (like France asked for US liberation and entered into a contract) and so their not to be trusted generally.

Hey, careful how you generalize there buddy.

I'm an American, and I feel our efforts on Frances behalf in the World Wars of the 20th century were, in a historical sense, just paying our dues

After all, any American that knows their history knows that if it weren't for France, there probably wouldn't be a United States in the first place.

As far as France not supporting the invasion of Iraq - I think by this point most Americans realize the French were right, invading Iraq was unnecessary and a stupid mistake. Real friends & allies tell you the truth when you are about to do something stupid

All the far-right types who say rude things about the French also seem to forget that the French came to our side without hesitation in Afghanistan (when we were actually responding to an attack) and that Jaques Chirac was the first foreign leader to come and see Ground Zero and express his solidarity with Americans after 911.

Don't assume all Americans disrespect the French.
That attitude is mostly confined to the more extreme end of one side of the political spectrum.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS :

Jet Lands With Gaping Hole Torn in Fuselage - Qantas 747 Makes Emergency Landing After Large Hole Tears Open Cabin

Qantas aka Boeing of course (amazingly enough no headline or so with the Boeing name within !).

Off topic or not ? Not sure.

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I have no problem with the French people I did not like Jacques Chirac however. Forget about whether or not he liked the Bush administration or not; I don't think he ever had the people of Frances interest at heart during his term. I find that in general the people of France to be very plesent people. The only problem I have ever had is when we did some work there and had to meet some dead lines and needed their assistance, they were ...well lets just say a little on the laxidazicle side as far as having to work late. It was always "Today no! tomorrow mmmmm perhaps"

[edit on 7/25/2008 by CaptGizmo]

Very true about Chirac.

May I ask what kind of deadline are you refering to ??

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Ignorance? Hardly.

I've tried french wines and other products. OK, but not worth the price differential. Only thing where europe still has us beat IMO is chocolates. And I'm sure you don't want to bring up france and cars in the same sentence. And militarily, france hasn't won a war on their own since I helped kick vercingetorix's butt in a previous life.

So now I'll ask you this time, then why are the french using all those American products? Obviously, no one is forcing them to. They are choosing to do so of their own free will. They must have what seems like a good reason (to them) for doing so. Sounds like some people here still have those BS ideas that led to french laws making it illegal for foreign words to "creep" into the french language.

Oh, and U.S. wines have started to beat french wines in blind taste tests - with french judges.

[edit on 7/25/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I have no problem with the French people, it was Bush that did his best to villify them for not supporting the War in Iraq. I thought changing the name of French Fries to Freedom Fries was childish.

Yes, we liberated France and saved many others countries bacon as well. Do they owe the US anything? Gratitude possibly.

My oldest sister spent over half her life in Europe, and the only country she said that showed any dislike of Americans was Spain. She positively loved France and Italy.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join