It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smell - what do Women want?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Do women want us to smell (read:reek) of things like TAG body wash and that stuff on TV?

Do men really stink?

What about white vinegar and baking soda?

I guarantee you that men do not want women to dive into a vat of 'Red Door', 'Evening in Paris' or 'White Shoulders', in fact many of us don't even smell that good.

Tell us, ladies - debunk the commercials where girls run after these morans spraying cat urine on themselves, in a search for the wild aspargus.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I can't speak for all women of course, but I think most women are happy with a guy that wears deodorant and showers everyday.

Most of the guys I have dated do not wear cologne, however, I will say that when I pass bye a guy wearing good cologne (he is obviously wearing a bit too much else strangers 4 feet away would not smell it, but that is despite the point) it does make my head race. Normally we only smell mens cologne in errrmmm...intimate situations. So yes a good cologne can trigger a positive respose.

Just remember if one does want to wear cologne or perfume, start with a modest amount and don't increase. People get into trouble because they can't smell it anymore so they wear way way too much. One should be quite close to a person, as in practically embracing them, before they can smell it.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
reply to post by Badge01

...most women are happy with a guy that wears deodorant and showers everyday.

Most of the guys I have dated do not wear cologne, however, I will say that when I pass bye a guy wearing good cologne (he is obviously wearing a bit too much else strangers 4 feet away would not smell it, but that is despite the point) it does make my head race. Normally we only smell mens cologne in errrmmm...intimate situations. So yes a good cologne can trigger a positive respose.

Ah! One of the paradoxes explained. Wear too much, captivate passers-by but repel those in close proximity. (takes notes)

Just remember if one does want to wear cologne or perfume, start with a modest amount and don't increase. People get into trouble because they can't smell it anymore so they wear way way too much. One should be quite close to a person, as in prac tically embracing them, before they can smell it.

I am quoting almost your entire post before your female friends get you in a headlock and force you to delete it.

Thanks for giving away a major secret!

How do I apply a 'not too much amount'? (good take on that and adding more b/c you can't smell it yourself.)

So it makes your head 'race'. Care to comment on that mysterious comment?

I've heard the women like Old Spice. What about men having a neutral smell, like the white vinegar on the pits?

Do you subscribe to the pheromone theory in people? IOW, can a man approach you and you find yourself turning way because he doesn't smell right? (not bad, just not intuitively right smell). Say, in an 'out at the bar' situation? (saw this on TV show about it)

Do you think love @ first sight might be 'glued' by this smell right phenomenon (and cemented by oxytocin and other hormones)?

I mean as long as we're 'telling...'

Seriously, though, thanks for the fun and entertaining reply.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Women do like a nice smell from my experience. Just use common sense with choosing a smell, and how much you apply. Plus shower often, using a smell to cover up the other smells doen't work! lol

I think some women love the sweet smelling type of cologne, you know kinda like candy. Hard to describe, but I got one, and I get women loving the smell

[edit on 25-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well, generally speaking, my wife doesn't usually want anything more than daily showers and deodorant. She has told me on several occassions that she likes the way I smell better than cologne.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
When I was younger my buddy’s girl friend gave us a ton of samples of Joop. We would put a few samples on and always got tons and tons of complements from female customers at work.

But then we found out its endorsed by Michael Jackson, and they creeped us out so we stopped using it.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Thanks for giving away a major secret!

How do I apply a 'not too much amount'? (good take on that and adding more b/c you can't smell it yourself.)

So it makes your head 'race'. Care to comment on that mysterious comment?

I've heard the women like Old Spice. What about men having a neutral smell, like the white vinegar on the pits?

Do you subscribe to the pheromone theory in people? IOW, can a man approach you and you find yourself turning way because he doesn't smell right? (not bad, just not intuitively right smell). Say, in an 'out at the bar' situation? (saw this on TV show about it)

Do you think love @ first sight might be 'glued' by this smell right phenomenon (and cemented by oxytocin and other hormones)?

As far as telling what is right and what is too much, ask a friend. Tell them to be honest as you only want the scent picked up in close proximity. A female coworker might be a good choice.

As far as “natural” methods like white vinegar or whatever, I would advise against it. Yes it kills bacteria but it is still too risky. Just like people can’t tell when they are wearing to much perfume, people can become immune to their own body odor. I would stick with anti-perspirants/deodorants. For best results don’t apply them right out of the shower. Dry off and give it a few minutes. The stuff needs to adhere to the skin and get into the sweat pores, it can’t do that when the skin is still damp. With all the chemicals in our environment a little store bought deodorant ain't gonna kill you.

I don’t pay much attention to pheramones, though they play a part. Supposedly a scent from a different immune system triggers a response. Now oxytocin and the like, that’s the secret to “true love” right there. Keeps monogamous animals bonded, makes mothers love their babies, and everything of a romantic nature too.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

OK, thanks!

When you say 'too risky' I laughed, but it's probably true.

Thing is I don't want aluminum chlorhydrate on my skin. (a truly risky thing, perhaps)

So I'm thinking the white vinegar and then talcum powder.

I have not used a regular deodorant more than a handful of times in my life, so I know I'm not at risk for the Zinc-Alzheimer's thing from that. Now aluminum cookware and plasticizers, yikes.

There are probably 'healthfood store type' deodorants with eye of newt and wheat grass so I suppose I could check on that.

Thanks and have a great day!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Okay, I'll be weird here and say it. My girlfriend works outside in the yard and works up a sweat, and just the natural smell of her perspiring is a turn on, and I would think that a little natural odor is okay for her and some women. I realize some cannot stand the smell of sweat, and certainly not letting it go to the point where it wreaks.

I think too much cologne is not a good thing, one should use it sparingly and on special occasions.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I never wear cologne. But I will tell you, I use that Axe Body Wash stuff in the shower. I started using it because I could get it cheap, and it really does make your skin feel good. But now, just about every time I get close to a girl (And I don't mean just in the intimate way) I get a "Wow! You smell good!" It's perfect for me, because you can't smell it from even a foot or two away, but it's enough so that when you hug or something, you can. My last girlfriend would also go crazy about how smooth my skin was, but I'm not sure that it's from the body wash...possibly...might want to try it out. But there you have it. My secret.

Oh, and I don't use any of that Axe body spray or anything like it...just the shower soap and deodorant.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Just showered , and deodorant is fine.
Iam allergic to most colognes and perfumes.
Axe gives me a wicked headache almost instantly, and I'm not alone.
Axe cologne was banned in all the schools in my city, because there are so many students and teachers alike who had bad reactions to it.

I doubt vinegar would be a good choice, as it would make you smell like a pickle.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Oh my, what a Pickle I'd be in, then.

I once asked a colleague if I smelled OK, since I worked out at lunch time but took a lot of showers, too. He replied that my odeur was, um, how do you say? 'legendary'. I figured I was actually from France having been secretly raised by my parents, a love child of my Italian father, and a young French girl he met in Cuba during the war.

Sadly, or happily, depending on our take, I inherited my father's lack of sense of smell, so I have to rely on the kindnesses of others.

On the vinegar, selection is crucial - not just any vinegar will do; but thanks for looking out for me.

Besides, is smelling like a pickle so wrong? (as long as I was a Claussen).

Thanks for your input AD. Always appreciated. (takes more notes)

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I say rub chocolate chip cookies all over your skin after a shower and your deodorant. Im tellin ya, if a guy smells like chocolate cookies, there ain't a woman alive that would turn him down.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Weird? Not at all. At least you have a girfriend (which, lemme tell you, some ATS members have been known to doubt)(*).

My SO always smells great, or so I'm told. I love to tease and say 'you reek to high heaven, OMG, have you taken a shower this week?'

Of course, that gets a laugh.

(*) Avatar, much?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Chocolate Cookies? Now -that's- what we call Info You Can Use. (Takes more notes; bakes cookies.).

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edit: Oh, wait, do you mean cookies or cookie dough?

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Like the smell of fresh baked cookies. It's the ultamate afrodisiac, Im tellin ya, there ain't no woman nowhere that isn't drawn to the smell of fresh baked cookies.

Can some ladies help me out with this?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I say rub chocolate chip cookies all over your skin after a shower and your deodorant. Im tellin ya, if a guy smells like chocolate cookies, there ain't a woman alive that would turn him down.

That depends on what kind of woman he wants..
The kind that eats cookies all day..?????
Woah!
The problem lies in that obviously every woman has her own preference.
I agree that a cologne should be used sparingly and only smelled when you are really close to the person.
It also depends on how much coin you are willing to spend.
Some colognes are cheap..and others...

Old spice is what my dad and grandfather both wore. So I associate it with older men.
Brute 33 is what my first boyfriend wore, so I associate it with a younger male.
Just an idea..but perhaps you should grab a couple of hot girls to take you cologne shopping.
Perhaps a win-win situation there.
GIRLS LOVE TO SHOP, and help out a guy in need..
YOU get a great cologne, and perhaps more..

DAMN I"M BAD!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01On the vinegar, selection is crucial - not just any vinegar will do; but thanks for looking out for me.

Why are you even using vinegar? Yes I would worry it could cause an odd smell (I keep a spray bottle of it at home and spray it on itchy bug bites, but that is for home use, I assume it may smell).

The vinegar is simply killing the bacteria on your skin, which feeds on sweat and causes an odor. Hand sanitizers (just alcohol, harmless) would work better. Dial type body wash (anti-bacterial) would work too, but I would go with handsanitizer. It kills mechanically and the bacteria cannot become resistent to it.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I usually jut take care that my clothes are clean in ordinary daily life sense, shower regularly and use a deodorant. Sometimes I use men's perfume, which is apparently a very, very nice thing in women's opinion. Some don't care, but they have nothing against such mild and nice smell either. It seems to me that it is a win-win situation.

Some crazy women want perfection, which I suppose is what some ment want from themselves in context of looks, but that won't give much intelligent conversation dates (that does sometimes lead to sex btw) either. In my opinion there is no point in trying to be perfect in every sense, because tastes and cultural tastes do differ enough so that almost every single one of us is ok looking for somebody.

You can obviously increase your appeal and there is nothing wrong with that, but from my experience those who do it too much end up old and bitter. It happens because they live by their looks, and when that is gone, they try to live and gain by other standards but have never learned how. That won't cause any good.

But what a hell do I know, I am a geek.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Axe gives me a wicked headache almost instantly, and I'm not alone.
Axe cologne was banned in all the schools in my city, because there are so many students and teachers alike who had bad reactions to it.

Yeah, the spray gives me a headache too, but the shower gel has a very mild smell. Undetectable unless at very close range, which is how I want it. I don't want to walk into a building and have everybody go "Whoa, that guy smells good!" Or even worse, "That guy's wearing way too much cologne."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join