It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AC-XX Moving Forward

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   

The Pentagon's Fiscal 2008 omnibus reprogramming includes $32 million for the purchase of a single C-27, which will be a prototype for an AC-XX Gunship "Lite." Another $11.5 million is set aside for engineering analyses for an objective platform; the hope is AFSOC could buy a small fleet of C-27-based gunships to add to the firepower offered by the existing AC-130 fleet.

AC-XX "Lite"

Just to link it to my favourite subject:

This comes as AFSOC is thinking about linking its UAV fleet to its next-generation “family of gunships.” Under this plan, the manned gunships -- AC-130, AC-XX “gunship light”and a variant of the next-generation bomber -- would serve as command and control platforms for the UAV that could be used to scout targets for the large planes.

“We already do that with Predators and gunships,” said Heithold. “We’ll put a Predator out in front of a gunship and latch the Predator to the gunship and they can look at [the ground together] and they’re talking to one another so the targets can all be picked out before you ever get there . . . So thinking more along those lines is what the Next Generation Gunship is going to be like.”

AC-XX/UAV

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Wonder if you could cram the BAE mk110 57mm cannon and a NLOS-LS canister inside?

That should take care of just about any target.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is certainly a step in the right direction.
I hope they explore the platform for other uses and
a stretched one also.
Cheaper gunship would be attractive to countries.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm surprised as to how much the Air Force fluctuates in what air power it can field.
This idea of a Lite Gunship is nothing new but has died out since the Vietnam war in which it was heavily used. The ability of long loiter with less fuel burn but with a little less firepower. Not to mention if they brought back the idea of parachute flares to deny or hinder night attacks. Of course as mentioned though the lower cost is the key point to actually fielding the plane.

Also Italy Jezza is one of those countries that would probably be interested or at least where at one point. They couldn't fund their one program though due to the high unit costs.

*Side note* I wish the DND would get their hands on 20 C-27Js to replace or Buffalos or at least a couple to augment the force. Its a dream.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Of even more interesting to me is that they offed the C-27 because of high-maintenance costs, and are now returning to the design.

new topics

top topics

join