It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crackdown launched on illegal downloads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   

www.physorg.com

Britain's six biggest internet providers have backed a government plan to clamp down on rampant music and film piracy, it was reported Thursday .
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before they start sending little jimmy to a re-education camp to get aquainted with the proper procedure's of doing pretty much everything?

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Sounds like all talk and no walk to me.

"Hey, I know what your doing, I'm watching you."
So?

Good for you, until you sue me, try and stop me.
It's still illegal for ISP's to divulge information regarding consumers to private companies.
No 3rd party should have the right to see what your doing on the Internet.
It's a breach of privacy.

Frankly, they've threatened these kind of things before, and it all gets played out into some major step towards "cracking down on P2P sharing."
But it amounts to jack all as the users are still protected by law, as they should be I might add.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I dunno you hear stories. I heard that some guy downloading rambo from p2p when it came out, had recieved a call from his isp claiming if he kept downloading illegal movies that they would stop providing him service.

Apparently someone was tracking isp's and was informing the providers of the isp numbers participating in the downloading of the files.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by toraylin]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by toraylin

lol that happened to a few of my mates, the ISPs are full of it they have never done anything to anyone I know over torrenting things.

-fm

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Oops. Double post

-fm

[edit on 24-7-2008 by funky monk]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

if he kept downloading illegal movies that they would stop providing him service.

Exactly, they'll cut off your service but they're not going to give your IP and home address up to Sony BMG or someone so they can prosecute you, otherwise they'll actually break the law in most countries and be liable to a world of legal pain, which they cannot afford.

P2P and online piracy is far from even being "touched"; all these so called anti-Piracy legislation and measures are only hitting the tip of the Iceberg in my opinion.
As long as they continue to try to breach people's rights and handle this issue it such an austere and Nazi-like manner your just going to get more backlash from the public.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
If ISPs sold out each customer who downloaded illegal music, they wouldn't have any customers left. I wonder if the record industry understands this

This is just more trying to kill mosquitos with a handgun, I for one am not concerned at all.

sty

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
how are they going to know exactly if my MP3 i donwload is legal or not? there are tons of legal mp3s and free conspiracy documentaries .
At the same time i see the good side of this legislation - people will reduce their dependance on commercially manufactured music, so they will start to go for the free underground music ! Unknown artists would be happy to share their music for free just for the sake of getting famous / appreciated , so I guess the media corporations are digging their own grave with their new police behaviour. So I guess it will be a great time to start making music !

however, I am still not sure - how are they going to know the MP3 is free???

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
One thing ive noticed recently is the drastic drop in price on some new releases.I noticed a "New Hit album" the other night advertised for 10$ on its release at hmv. Personally i think the Record industry right now is in an big upheaval.

These "measures"they seem to be"taking".Is just going to have an opposite effect.I believe it will just push the underground further and further till there is no industry left.Or atleast effect their downward spiral into industrial hell.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by toraylin]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by unnamedninja

If ISPs sold out each customer who downloaded illegal music, they wouldn't have any customers left. I wonder if the record industry understands this

Put it a better way, if they sold out every consumer who used P2P networks and downloaded copyrighted content, they'd be broke on their asses.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I was going to post some info on here regarding this until I saw that the headline had been altered to something more sensationalist than the original, contrary to the posting rules for this forum.

Here's the REAL headline:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Blah! headline grabbing news *Crackdown on illegal downloads* Never going to happen ever ever ever..unless they shut down the whole internet...When will they learn?

sty

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

well, accoring to some sources that`s the plan indeed! you will have to pay for every website you access, and sure you will have a list with available "wesbites" .. however, if this would ever come in place we will develope a new internet - better designed so it would not allow any form of control or providers !

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

Even I, as a non-techie, am aware that there are plenty of programmes which you can D/L for free which will stop them spying on your traffic.

I am not condoning illegal d/l's when I say this, I am simply making the point that it's going to be impossible to enforce - although I suspect they will keep trying.

This is simply about control - it's a test for eventual government control of the net.

Good luck to them - it'll never happen.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
reply to post by Lethil

well, accoring to some sources that`s the plan indeed! you will have to pay for every website you access, and sure you will have a list with available "wesbites" .. however, if this would ever come in place we will develope a new internet - better designed so it would not allow any form of control or providers !

Of course we would...they let the internet genie out of the bottle,and now its the only thing they have little or no control over.Long live the internetz! But really,its probably one of the biggest mistakes they ever made...

Yah peer guardian..too bad its not out for vista yet...plus you can encrypt the packets you send for ISP's that throttle p2p traffic..but ISP's catch on sooner or later...but then you just encry them differently..and so the cycle goes on...

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong (as I can be alot), but if you own the original copy of say a CD for instance, I am sure you could then download it from anywhere (in illigal terms) and claim it to be a back up of the original. I am quite sure the law is that if you buy something you can duplicate it for your own back ups as long as you dont give it away or sell it.

I have seen on many game download site's a disclaimer that if you dont own an original of that game then it is illigal to download it. I can imagine a phone call from my service provider saying we are cutting you off for illigal down loads, my reply would be that I own the original and that I am backing up my original (if indeed I am correct). I am sure they would spend time and effort checking up everyones originals with doorstep inspections.

There are too many loop holes in the law, its too patchy. Also I dont like the idea of being spied on by my provider and shall give them a call in the morning asking how they are monitoring my internet useage, its very creepy.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by theukman
Please correct me if I am wrong (as I can be alot), but if you own the original copy of say a CD for instance, I am sure you could then download it from anywhere (in illigal terms) and claim it to be a back up of the original. I am quite sure the law is that if you buy something you can duplicate it for your own back ups as long as you dont give it away or sell it.

I have seen on many game download site's a disclaimer that if you dont own an original of that game then it is illigal to download it. I can imagine a phone call from my service provider saying we are cutting you off for illigal down loads, my reply would be that I own the original and that I am backing up my original (if indeed I am correct). I am sure they would spend time and effort checking up everyones originals with doorstep inspections.

There are too many loop holes in the law, its too patchy. Also I dont like the idea of being spied on by my provider and shall give them a call in the morning asking how they are monitoring my internet useage, its very creepy.

Nope,not really...that *law* has been around for a while...but the only legal way to backup your dvd's,games etc is to rip the *original* disc.Lawyers can still find ways around those laws...that law is basically the same as *As long as you only have it for 24 hours its cool* many ways around it if someone wanted to prosecute you...but at the end of the day...no one really cares about the little people.Its the trackers they go after and even then...a few days after being busted they just move server and are up and running again....pointless waste of money all this p2p2 crackdown...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Looks up the "wi fi defense" ... Anyway I have ran 5 torrent sites . Sysoped admined modded owned ect. And have never gotten a letter at all . Never used PG or any firewall or protection. I serve my 320Kb all day every day. (Like 15-25 gigs+ a day) just in upload . And i have never even got a warning .

The bottom line is . DO NOT USE "OPEN" SITES!
If you don't have to beg for 3-4 months for an invite or didn't have to bribe someone into selling you one . Your doing it wrong . Don't try to be part of the underground if you are not willing to grease a few palms. Or work for it . I have became staff on just about every major torrent site there is . Just by knowing the protocol and helping out in MIRC. .

Please learn the world , Make some friends and get off the high profile sites (pirate bay,mini ect)
You will be much happier and WAAAYYY safer. Besides . Good sites have TONS of 100Mb servers hosting torrents . And if you really really really dont like uploading . Donate a few bucks for gig credits . Problem solved .

This post will self destruct in 5.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
When isp begins to actively hand over all their data on their users we are gonna see a new fascist start of a government in UK.

I will also direct you to this thread i stumbled upon today www.abovetopsecret.com... which pretty much will explain the deeper meaning in my statement in this thread.

Best Regards

Loke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join