It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time: An infinitely expanding entanglement of branches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Now, I put this in skunk works because it's not based on any scientific facts. This is just my perception of time, however skewed it may be.

Time isn't linear. It's interwoven together like the roots of a tree, ever expanding in infinite directions. With each decision and/or variable that is altered in the timeline a new branch is forged and so on and so on in a self similar fractal of existance.

The way I visualize it is sort of like a ball of roots from a tree:

If you were to travel 'back' in time the 'future' would never have the same outcome. Your consciousness is like a node of awareness meandering through the infinite web of possible realities, so no matter where it is dropped in the sea of branching timelines it will always take a different path through. If you were to somehow find the branch where you were conceived and follow it to a point of time in your life and transport yourself there then you will start branching off from that point.

With an infinite number of possible pathways to branch off into, the probability of following the original one that is in your memory is infinitely small.

That is assuming that transporting matter directly from one timeline to the next is possible.

So I don't believe there is any one discrete timeline unless you trace a path throughout the infintely expanding ball of existential pathways.

I'm not saying this as fact, just as a cool possibility that I can't get out of my head.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Does this not make sense to anyone?

join