It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the HELL is Texas Toast?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Okay....garlic bread is Italian in origin, correct? I happen to be Italian and am quite offended by this crap called "Texas Toast." You all know what it is, right? It's garlic bread toast and somehow Texans think they invented it? They have a lot of nerve them Texans.

Whaaa....did you have something to do with this???

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think it has to do with the SLAB-sized sliced of bread.
They're just really fat pieces of bread, turned into garlic bread..
Makes good French toast too.

But I could be wrong..

[edit on 17-7-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Texas toast is great with bacon and eggs. As spacedoubt says it's thicker bread than the normal sliced bread.

[edit on 17/7/2008 by Sauron]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
first of all, texas toast is the bomb, 2ndly it doesnt have to be gralic flavored,

3rdly, its the BAWMB

Texas toast is a thicker variation of pre-sliced packaged bread. Producers of Texas Toast include the 'Wonder Bread' variety, Mrs. Bairds, and Safeway/Lucerne Foods. [1]. The name is somewhat misleading as it is not yet toast when it is sold this way. Popular in Texas and the states surrounding it, it is generally served toasted as a side with southern-style dishes such as chicken-fried steak, fried catfish[2], or BBQ [3][4]. Texas Toast can also be used when making toasted sandwiches[5].

Texas Toast-style bread, because of its thickness, is often used by restaurants and cafeterias for dipping into egg batter and grilling on a flat top grill to create French toast. The crust is much softer than French bread so it is easier to cut when eating. Its thickness allows it to hold together better than regular bread making a much more attractive presentation when plated.

Texas toast is made from the thick slices of bread when buttered on both sides and broiled until lightly golden brown. Depending on the recipe, the butter may have seasonings such as garlic. The toast may have cheese on one or both sides. "Texas toast" is also the brand name of a frozen garlic toast (a variation on garlic bread) product made by Pepperidge Farm.

Some recipes include regular, or thick, sliced bread being cooked in a frying pan that has just been used to fry steak, bacon, or other meat product in order to absorb the grease from the meat.

en.wikipedia.org...

wiki has spoken!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Texas toast is bigger than most sliced bread, thicker sliced to be exact.

As the saying goes..."All things are bigger in Texas."

Now you know.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Yeah that's what I was gonna post, so I would say you are correct. Not that I know anything about food or cooking. I had it when I was a kid on weekends.

The bread is like an inch and a quarter think.

Oh yeah I'm sure there are different ways to make it, but we had it dipped in egg batter and fried till browned. Was pretty good the way my step-mom made it. I vaguely remember cinnamon and nutmeg in the egg batter. I'm sure there was a lot of other stuff that I just don't remember.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think Italy should one up Texas and make Italian Tea...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
LOL! Funny thread.

Texas toast is awesome. Especially with white gravy. It's a tasty meal unto itself.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Italian Tea? I had that once and tripped my brains out. But seriously, I have learned a lot. I didn't realize there was a variety besides garlic toast. I feel better now. I don't have to call the Governor of Texas, Rick Perry.

He is a handsome devil. Wasn't our current "president" the governor of Texas? Maybe he had something to do with Texas Toast...

I think if they make Garlic Texas Toast they should have to give some of the money to me. Everyone in the world should pay me a royalty when they make it the garlic kind of Texas Toast. Pay me a toll...

I could be like the Texas Toast King. Texas Toast Tycoon.

BTW: Lysergic, your attention to detail is always appreciated and respected.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
...What Lysergic said....

I'm hungry now!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I used to love the stuff 'til I cut out the white bread altogether.

Good Texas toast at Dairy Queen.

Peace

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Yeah, I like to stay away from the food section of this forum.

~Mouth Watering As We Speak!~

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

Stupid Italian here trying to bash Texas Toast... well I got news for you ..

Spaghetti ain't Italian.

In fact...

Tomatoes are not even indigenous to Italy!

And what's with all the Potato dishes from Ireland, the Potato didn't arive in Ireland until the 1700's! Wasn't "popular" until the 1800's!

French fries are NOT French, need I say more?

Sour Dough Bread isn't sour either!

Most Canadian Bacon does NOT come from Canada!

And England has never produced a single authentic original dish in it's entire 2,000 year history!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
pwnd.

anyways, I could really go for some Texas toast right now, I AM FAMISHED!

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Stupid Italian here trying to bash Texas Toast... well I got news for you ..

Mods....shouldn't this young man be spanked for calling me stupid?

Rockpuck, it's truly hard to care about anything that comes after your first sentence. Are you this good at making friends in real life? Or IS this real life for you?

You have a nice day now little feller.....

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Dr. Love....always a pleasure. I wouldn't have even thought that Dairy Queen would HAVE Texas Toast. Is it just the ones in Texas or all over?

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
I wouldn't have even thought that Dairy Queen would HAVE Texas Toast.

Yup. Finest kind, too.

Is it just the ones in Texas or all over?

At least in the ones here in the South. Dunno about elsewhere but I'm pretty sure that they do. The country friend steak basket comes with Texas Toast (though in some places it's just bread fried in butter masquerading as Texas Toast.)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e
Texas toast is bigger than most sliced bread, thicker sliced to be exact.

As the saying goes..."All things are bigger in Texas."

Now you know.

What wolf said!

I'm from Texas and Texas Toast has nothing to do with garlic, although because it's thicker sliced bread, it actually would make for awesome garlic bread!!! Several grocery stores carry Texas Toast sized...it goes awesome with gravy and you can make some mean, serious sandwiches with it!!! If you have a Sonic near you...they sell these toaster sandwiches now with that cut of bread...AWESOME!!!! And because they say, "All things are bigger in Texas", like Wolf said, that's how they got the name...Texas sized toast=Texas toast

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

And England has never produced a single authentic original dish in it's entire 2,000 year history!

Yorkshire puddings?
Cornish pasties?
Meat&Potato Pie?

Traditional Roast Dinner?

Bread and Butter Pudding?

Full English Breakfast?

Rhubarb & Custard?

PIES, PIES, PIES!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

It's just food man, calm down.