It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL Problem in America: The Biggest Drug Addiction Known to Man

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You Can Keep Blaming George W. Bush Or Liberals, Or You Can Start Dealing With Reality

by Thomas J. Bico

MARCH 15, 2005 – Everyone talks about the drug problem in our country and, you know, the War on Drugs, but then how come we embrace... even encourage... the use of our most widely abused narcotic. By the age of five, virtually all of our citizens are already addicted to it. Our congressmen and women and Senators allow this drug to guide their debates. You can not go out in public without being exposed to this drug; virtually none of our citizens can bear to be home without using it....

And I mean all forms of TV. Like coca leaves progressed to coc aine and then to crack, TV has also progressed, from 13" black and white boxes to larger and larger screens, color, and now 27" high definition, surround-sound; from 13 basic channels to cable TV, VCR’s, video games, one thousand channel digital TV, and now, the crack of TV, the boundless internet. And still it’s not enough -- you feel like there’s one-thousand channels and nothing’s on -- the promised high, like with all drugs, remains endlessly elusive, as your life is sucked away from you, as you sit staring at a box....

Our nation went to war against a nation that didn't attack us because of WMD's that didn't exist. We've lost over a thousand, killed tens of thousands for a mistake.

But the point isn't any of these issues, it is that politicians - of both parties - are now aware that you can do whatever you want and the American people will do nothing about it. They know that all they have to do is give you some excuse to be inactive, to not respond, and you will take it, because you just don't want anything interrupting your TV time.

They can irradiate our food, put hormones and antibiotics in our meat - all this happened under Clinton, not Bush - and no one will do anything. They can work you 60 hours a week, hand all of the nation's money to a few wealthy people, knowingly kill 18,000 innocent Americans each year by rolling back pollution controls, and they know people won't do anything. The excuses and justifications they give for these things are obviously transparent, but like with all drug addicts, the TV addicts of America are not looking for the right answer but just any excuse to not be interrupted in their using.

Indeed, there are now laws that exist which make it illegal for our children to do anything but sit home and watch TV at night; they will get arrested if they go out the door due to curfews. These laws did not exist like they do prior to 1986. The government has made it illegal for your child to leave the house, and you have done nothing.

There are lots of you there who want to blame George W. Bush for what is happening to our nation. Many of you want to call liberals the problem.

The reality is it is all of us.

Source: www.moderateindependent.com...

I think it's interesting that this article is from 2005. Over three years old. And what has anyone done about anything? Nothing at all. People can warn us and warn us about how we are harming ourselves and we don't even listen. And here it is now, 2008. Have we changed anything? No. We are all guilty of everything this article suggests. You and I both.

In the end, we will all be responsible for our own demise and yet, we can't help but seeking as many alternatives as possible to aim the finger of blame at other than ourselves. It's Bush's fault. It's the media's fault. It's Obama's fault....

When will we realize that it is no one's fault but our own. The power has always lied in the hands of the people and yet we still to this day continue to do nothing but sulk around and scoff at those we would blame with our mouths while remaining stationary with our bodies and minds.

It's time to wake up....

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged.

Absolutely, TV is the modern day, psychological WEAPON, used by the Elitists and their government goons to keep the populace distracted and misdirected, while they keep us in total servitude and apathy to what is going on. It IS like a drug for many, like a giant, sensory tranquilizer dart, that keeps their focus on consumption and materialism...Buy, Buy, Buy...Work, work, work...Obey, obey, obey...Conform, conform, conform.

Awesome thread Mad_hatter.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Are you suggesting my son's addiction to SpongeBob is actually a stealth attack by the NWO to numb the masses into submission?

Seriously, we are what we consume. It's easy to be spoon-fed whatever the spin doctors decide to throw our way. If it happens to be mental garbage, and we choose to accept it, then we can only blame ourselves. At some point we have to take responsibility for our actions.

Starred and flagged!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Television...haven't watched it regularly since 1999. If I am at a friend's house and we watch TV okay, I guess. So I haven't seen a single episode of the new Dr.Who or new Battlestar Galatica nor Heroes which I have been told are very good shows. I have bought the different seasons of Lost on DVD and watched them once back to back on a free winter weekend. So in a way I don't have the draw of HAVING to watch something as a specific time and day to catch up.

News I hear on the radio station WLW as well as baseball games, when they are on and have the radio on. But for the most part I don't worry about if I keep up with fictional teleplays and stories. Yes people call me odd because I don't watch TV or have cable (paying for television). I also don't impulse buy the latest processed snack food that has been drilled into my brain 47 times a day because I don't see it.

People also say I am not well read because I have never read a Steven King or Tom Clancy novel. They do get the impression that I am well educated because I do read lots of non-fiction, biographies, philosophy, history and science books as well as text books on various subjects that interest me.

And finally a look at my total number of ATS points shows that I do not spend a huge amount of time online unless of course you compare the amount of time by people that watch lots of television.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I agree completely. There are some good educational programs on television, such as How It's Made, but these are certainly in the minority. The rest is just a bunch of mind-numbing entertainment.

Sometimes, I think people actually subconsciously steer their lives toward the lives they see on sitcoms, simply because they think it's the proper way to live. It's what they're "supposed" to do.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
amen! throw away your t.v.s....

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
i'm sorry but i think this is ridiculous. the television is a great invention.

the television is an extension and advancement of everything the human race has always had in it's culture. the delivery of information and entertainment. i embrace the television. and if you don't embrace it, life without TV continues as normal, as all traditional methods of media still exist today.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Tv is in part...as is this internet a dveice that causes a dopamine release not unlike Cocaine, Glutamate production rockets even diring a good show adrealine...

It is truely addictive and too much over stimulation will lead to depression much earlier in life when combined with a fast paced society and actual drug use it can be a serious instigator...

when I gave up getting high entirely and wanted full brain repair I made sure tv was removed from the equation.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

great thread !

i became a non-user of tv about five years ago and i did it cold turkey...

i only fall off the wagon for the superbowl ...lol

but you are right that many people are addicted to the tube and i cant help but notice it since i quit. the final straw for me was finally realizing that each news channel was spinning things according to what the owners of the stations wanted to shove down your throat.

here is a cool video about tv...

www.youtube.com...
YouTube - About Television

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think the deeper problem isn't the TV itself, but rather the extent to which people allow themselves to be influenced by it. Kids are affected even more so.

Another thing is, people watch the scifi channel and expect fiction, but they don't expect it when they watch the news even though that's what they're getting half the time. We've got all these "experts" and figures of authority telling us how to think. People take these so-called experts with blind faith, when they may just be saying what a certain corporate/government interest is telling them to say.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I guess you could say I am a part of he TV generation... I remember the Ed Sullivan Show, I saw Johnny Carson when he had a head full of black hair, and my favorite sitcom of all time was Gilligan's Island.

I love TV and the movies. They transport me to a fantasy place, like reading a book, but with pictures! They give me a break from the drab reality that surrounds me. So I do agree with bizone that TV is a wonderful invention.... but so is medicine. And just like medicine, TV can be abused.

I wish I could figure out when it happened. There had to be a day when suddenly, instead of funny sitcoms and interesting variety shows, there was lame not-so-funny recycled ideas made into sitcoms and the variety shows were replaced with reality TV.

Whenever it was, I am sure it coincided with a major change in my viewing habits. I now watch mainly the History Channel, Science Channel, and occasionally Discovery. Once in a while I will catch an episode of Star Trek (in one of its many incarnations) or catch an old movie I have forgotten about. But I rarely watch the networks, or even the superstations.

I remember when TV was this magic box with a huge antenna that neighbors came to see. We were one of the first families to get TV, an old black-and-white Zenith. That thing lasted forever before we finally became the last family to get one of the new color TVs. Now I have a nice color set (no hi-def yet) with satellite cable, and I am planning on a hi-def flatscreen unit to hang in my new shop. Yes, I pay for programming.

I think that what has helped me is that I always saw TV (and the movies) as a fantasy pastime, not something to build a life around. I have had plenty of times in my life when I did not have a TV, and I survived. It seems like I am in the minority with that sentiment, however, since the boob tube is the centerpiece of all of my friends' lives.

So just like morphine, a drug that can bring relief to those in severe pain, yet can destroy a life through its addiction, so TV can be used for information or to waste a life. Blaming TV is like blaming morphine for being addictive, ior blaming a gun for shooting someone, or blaming a car for crashing into another one on the freeway. It's the people behind the remote control who are the problem, not the screen that responds to them.

Great thread though, a flag and a star from me as well.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I have a love/hate relationship with tv. I love history and science fiction and american football. And as far as movies go, we just rent dvd's.
The things I have interest in compared to what cable has to offer like reality show's and sitcom's that suck anymore and the msm, which I can't stand. There is no reason for myself to have cable t.v. Which is why I do not.
I enjoy the internet, hence no commercial ad here. But life without t.v is not all that bad.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediK
I agree completely. There are some good educational programs on television, such as How It's Made, but these are certainly in the minority. The rest is just a bunch of mind-numbing entertainment.

Sometimes, I think people actually subconsciously steer their lives toward the lives they see on sitcoms, simply because they think it's the proper way to live. It's what they're "supposed" to do.

Totally agree with this. I so very rarely watch television these day and have no idea what program people are raving about anymore. How It's Made is one of my favorites. I still like CSI and that's about it.

Ha, just two days ago a picture hanging directly behind my TV slid off the wall and now the TV screen is complete fuzz. I never bothered to try to fix it. I couldn't care less.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
honestly...from diligent research and intense study of people who not only abstain(rare), but also overindulge(very common) in television viewing...the bad outweighs the good.

For those of you who are unaware of how the brain actually deciphers information and how brainwave activity can be manipulated via electromagnetic stimulation, I suggest you do a bit of research....

after 30 seconds of watching the television your brain slips out of the beta wave state 15-18 Hz and directly into the alpha wave state.
In the alpha wave state, the human brain is extremely susceptible to subconscious mental reprogramming....

Ever wonder why they call them 'programs'????

Think about this...(Ive read up a lot on this subject, as I am fascinated with electromagnetic technology. If you have any good recommendations shoot me a u2u)
what if you forgot that you forgot something?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

I disagree with you, and the report you posted.

TV is the greatest invention known to man. It is the basis of multiculturalism and global connection, it is, for many people, a way to get out of their little cocoon and learn a little bit more about other people and their cultures.

Like every substance known to man TV can be malign, if taken in big quantities. I think a strict TV policy, like I have, is the best solution. One or two hours in front of a TV set, watching worthy stations like the BBC, can do you no harm, on the contrary.
More then two hours a day I do consider malign, both to your time schedule and to your progress as an educated person...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bizone
i'm sorry but i think this is ridiculous. the television is a great invention.

the television is an extension and advancement of everything the human race has always had in it's culture. the delivery of information and entertainment. i embrace the television. and if you don't embrace it, life without TV continues as normal, as all traditional methods of media still exist today.

Again and again your mind will try to argue that what I am saying isn't right, that TV watching is not that big a deal. That is the addiction talking.

It is not surprising that some will argue that television is not harmful to their health. Such as any addict will tell you that their addiction is not the source of their problem. I have actually been down that road with drugs myself and overcame it. I can personally testify that when you are addicted to a drug, you find anything else to blame for your problem except the drug itself.

To many, their addiction is something they feel they need to cope with whatever else is going on in their lives. I urge you to turn off your television set. Get out of your house and go to the gym, or go to the park and meditate. It will do wonders for you. And you will thank yourself in the long run.

People talk of conspiracies about this, that and the other while the most glaringly obvious conspiracy escapes them. The television set sitting right in their living room.

Sure, there are real conspiracies out there that are going on...such as the chemicals in your water and food...conspiracies that are so big that one wonders where on earth to start to combat them. But why not start with the most obvious one. One that you can control. The one that is your own fault. Instead of talking of overthrowing the US government and ways to avoid the NWO, why not stop all their power at the source? That damned tube right in front of you.

Please wake up people....we've always had the power. We still do. We're just so zombified, unhealthy, and unawakened that we are handing them their power on a silver platter. It's so sad really...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by iiinvision

I find that interesting. Do computers do this as well?

Because if computers also put people from the beta state to the alpha state, "drone workers" would actually be a correct term to use.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
everything is electromagnetic energy...everything

computers cell phones cars tvs books pamphlets et c

s-quad (silent sound) tech is worse than tv manipulation, but only that its more versatile...but you also have to remember that it is able to be used in any type of electromagnetic transmission...this # has been going on since the 50's....

s quad tech

electromagnetic frequency and the brain

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Just remember folks:

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join