It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't give your dog people food!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So, for the last couple of days my 4lb. long haired chihuahua has been 'puking and 'poopin all over the place. This morning, blood was added to the mix.

So, I call the vet. I was thinking she ate something in the yard and got worms because I saw weird looking stuff when I cleaned up after her.
The vet said worms do not cause symptoms like I described. Then they asked if she has had any people food lately.

Now, I do make all my dogs boiled chicken quarters and serve it with dried food and a bit of canned food and the vet said that was ok when I asked about it previously. She still said that was ok, but asked if I had given her anything else, to which I replied, no.

The vet tells me that with a dog that small that I need to bring her in right away, and that she will require a blood test that is $65.00 right off the bat, not including the visit.

I take her in, and then they inform me that she has to stay overnight and have an IV for liquids because she is dehydrated, and might have to stay longer.

Cha Ching!

Tina is now a resident and the vet for a couple of days. She has low blood sugar, and pancreatitis.

I tell my boyfriend all of this and he says, "you know, come to think of it, I gave her a lot of my bacon the other day because she was begging and really seemed to like it."

Bingo!

Don't give your dogs people food! It's really bad for them and can cost you!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
No, just dont give your dog bacon

My dogs five and she's had people food quite a lot, she's never had any problems at all, apart from when she ate a grilled tomato (as a puppy) and got the runs

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
yeah, i'm with Oz on this one, it's not that people food is bad, just be aware of the type of food it is.
Also sitting doggie up at the dining table, napkin tucked neatly into collar, and serving dog mush just wouldn't be the same..

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Yes, I see what you are saying. My pup usually only gets what I feed her.

I don't eat bacon. I cook it for my boyfriend, and leave the room. I am anti bacon and pork altogether, so this only proves my point.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nuts!
yeah, i'm with Oz on this one, it's not that people food is bad, just be aware of the type of food it is.
Also sitting doggie up at the dining table, napkin tucked neatly into collar, and serving dog mush just wouldn't be the same..

Yep that means no chocalte and no onion.....i here raisins are pretty bad too

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Oh yeah, now he has also confessed to giving the dog meatballs that had onions in them. Oh boy, I can't leave the room while he is eating!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
you can give your dog meat or rice with no problem but some things like grapes and onions are toxic and can cause renal failure in pets so it's best just to stay with dog food for dogs. One thing most common that dogs get when they eat people food is pancreatitis and it is serious and it causes them to throw up and their bowels to act up...it didn't take me long to realize that my dog would throw up after she had table food because it upset her system and then when I read about pancreatitis in dogs I thought of my god! so now she only gets DOG food.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
My dog had a severe case of pancreatitis. I've always fed my dogs table scraps, along with regular dog food. It's the fat content that you have to watch out for. I don't give them fatty beef anymore. That bout with pancreatitis was rough! My dog lost 8 lbs in one week and was in so much pain. Poor thing!

I hope your pup is better real soon.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

Oh yeah, now he has also confessed to giving the dog meatballs that had onions in them. Oh boy, I can't leave the room while he is eating!

Lol.....as my gf says, "Men need constant supervision"

I believe cooked onion isnt too bad, but I try to avoid giving my baby girl none at all

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Funny I read this today Enthralled....

I fed a dog some salsa today...

He liked it, I was like are you serious, I let him smell it;

He acts tempted so I let him have a taste...

Btw, he is hella old Maltese(sp?) and now he is all lively today...

No vomit yet...

But then again it's not bacon

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Oh my gosh, all I can say is that the vet told me never to feed a dog onions, that they are really bad for them.

Salsa has a lot of onions, so watch the maltese for a few days!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Thanks............the vet led me to believe we caught this just in time before it became a real problem for the dog.

Thing is, I have nothing to do with pork products, (evil in my opinion, or against my religion, whatever way you take it)

I cook them for other people that eat them, and leave the room when they consume them.

I'm sorta pissed my boyfriend fed my dog anything to do with a pig.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thank you very much for what you said Anonymous............this is what the vet has told me.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Oh boy............LOL, hmmm, the vet told me the dog had low blood sugar after the expensive blood test.

I can only say, this dog will never get bacon again. (Which I consider vile) after this expensive visit! I only cook the crap for heathens who insist on eating it, and then feel a need to share the vile crap with the dog!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
makes you wonder why we eat that garbage

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Don't give your dog people food!

There was a thread a few years ago with the same title though it was about cats,I said it on that thread and I`ll say it again here....

I cannot agree with feeding pets with human food,It may seem a cheap option at the time even if the person your feeding your pet to wasn`t very nice but tastey lookin,But! you will eventually be caught and then you`ll think it an expensive way to feed your pet.

Now seriously
our dog had the same problem with bleeding,he was very sick and was caused by giving him raw bones with fat on them,dont give your dog left over fat from steaks etc.

Couple more,onions and chocolate are toxic to dogs if you didn`t already know.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Question Fate

Oh yes. If it can do this to a 4lb 2 year old dog, you betcha!

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Ya!

My boyfriend insists it is healthy for the pet to serve if only boiled chicken quarters. It sucks because the pet is not getting the vitamins it needs. I see that now after what the vet has said.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think it also depends on the breed of dog and what not. There are a lot of people who put leftover bacon grease on dog food and never have an issue.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Oh come the hell on, everyone knows the health benefits of cutting some of this crap out of our diets, but for the most part people don't. Got some sarcasm for that too?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join