It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Looming Threat of Yellowstone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The Looming Threat of Yellowstone

www.vorchester.com

A lurking danger to the entire world sits quietly underground in one of the most beautiful places on earth. The almighty volcano that sits beneath Yellowstone patiently rests, waiting to release a violent killing machine on humanity and there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Everything else going on the world won't mean much if this happens.

www.vorchester.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Yes, I have been preaching the Yellowstone Supervolcano threat to friends and family for years, but nobody listens. If this volcano blows it could be the end.
I'm glad someone has reported this.

[edit on 6/26/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think the fact that this threat has been looming for 600,000 years takes it out of the "breaking news" category.

I too have researched this quite a bit. It would be a huge catastrophe if it happens, but there is nothing to indicate it will happen soon.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Did you see the chart in the story, it looks like something is going on. I wonder how many chinese lanterns it takes to equal the output of a Yellowstone eruption?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Likewise.

I'll never forget that sinking feeling wehen I first read of the massive potential packed into the earth beneath Yellowstone Park (this was probably 10 years ago). I really had no idea. The fact that at the time I lived only 130 miles away didn't help me sleep at night either.

Thing is though, 'due to erupt' when the time span between eruptions is hundreds of thousands of years could mean anything between 10 minutes from now and 10,000 years from now. I tend to put it out of my mind. If it blows, I'm SOL. Nothing I can do about it.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
who cares? nothing we can do to stop it,when mother nature gets angry..boy does she get angry,If we are to become yet another extinct/partially extinct species it will happen.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Old news.

When it blows, now that will be breaking news.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The BBC did a great mini movie on the subject. Quite disturbing.

Supervolcano

Its Hollywood but still a pretty though provoking watch.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Now here's a story from drudge.

Harness volcano power, energy experts say

This is a good idea, but I don't think it would prevent an eruption. I think you'd need a much bigger harness for that.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by gekko
Old news.

No it won't, when that thing blows, the news isn't going to exist to report it, nor will you to watch it.

Unless you're on the southeastern coast, or the Canadian eastern coast... then, maybe you'll have a few minutes to jump on ATS and write...

"Last in before death!"

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I only live 382 miles from Yellowstone, if I am not blown to Smithereenies, (thanks Yosemite Sam for once again supplying me with the perfect word) I will at least be pelted with all the surrounding landscape...
sigh...
Not that I haven't had this idea looming over my head for 25+ yrs now or anything...I was hoping there was some new info on it... looks like just the same stuff over and over...

Back to my newspaper and grapefruit.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I'm in Norway, so I should be able to enjoy it televised, the start of it anyway.

I wouldn't be looking forward to the winters up here for the following decade or so though...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

They aired that on the Discovery channel here in the states last year. The CGI of the park blowing its lid was extremely cheesey looking, but otherwise it was a pretty good film. I appreciated the fact that they incorporated scientific fact into the movie in a non-condescending manner while still keeping the information accessible.

My religious beliefs sort of preclude me from believing this will happen during man's time of Earth, but I still find the topic to be pretty thought provoking.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
I think the fact that this threat has been looming for 600,000 years takes it out of the "breaking news" category.

I too have researched this quite a bit. It would be a huge catastrophe if it happens, but there is nothing to indicate it will happen soon.

Well since it seems to be quite regular every 600,000 years and its been 600,000 years since the last time... I would think there is 'indications'

The magma chamber beneath Yellowstone National Park is gigantic measuring 50 kilometers in length, 30 kilometers in width and 10 kilometers in depth and spans the entire caldera itself. The size of Yellowstone ’s caldera covers almost half of the park and is the largest in the world.

Then there is THIS

A survey measuring various elevations of the Park carried out in the 1920’s was compared to a later survey in the 1970’s done by USGS volcanologist professor Robert Smith who has been studying the Park for much of his life. Smith noted changes had occurred in the caldera since the 1920’s and that the middle of the caldera had uplifted by 2 feet 5 inches. Further measurements indicated that the ground beneath the north of Yellowstone also was bulging up, tilting the Park downwards inundating shorelines trees on the south end of Yellowstone Lake .

www.earthmountainview.com...

2 feet 5 inches from 1920 to 1970

And from the OP's link we have THIS.... recent movement

Now I am looking for the reports of the "scientists" who want to drill into the magma bubble to see how big it is....

Yeah right... anyone ever shook a bottle of champagne and opened the cork?

Good Idea Horrah for SCIENCE

:shk:

Interesting paper from USGS

Understanding Volcano Hazards and Preventing Volcanic Disasters

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

You can watch HERE for any daily movements....

www.iris.edu...

USGS Real Time monitoring of Yellowstone

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Daily update map its been quiet for the last few weeks
www.seis.utah.edu...

Other ATS threads on this

Magma pushing up ground in Yellowstone
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Situation X: Yellowstone Eruptionwww.abovetopsecret.com...

But no worries..."Scientists" say it won't be so bad... they predict Vegas will suffer a 5 degree average annual temperature drop... and as it is 110 F outside right now a little snow in winter won't be a bad thing

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Great post!!

The Earth goes thru a cleansing from time to time. And man in his arrogance thinks he is immune from cosmic forces.
All the guns, bombs, think tanks, stored virus's and knowledge
will be just dust in the wind.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Originally posted by gekko
Old news.

No it won't, when that thing blows, the news isn't going to exist to report it, nor will you to watch it.

Unless you're on the southeastern coast, or the Canadian eastern coast... then, maybe you'll have a few minutes to jump on ATS and write...

"Last in before death!"

I have to point out that being on the east coast would be the worse thing. why would you wanna be down wind of a supervolcano? that's not the safest.. the safest in N.A would be as far to the west coast as possible.. wind blows west to east.
the last place I would wanna be is on the east coast when that ash chokes it out..

west and south, that's where im going..

also... IF it did erupt, it's not like everything would die right away.. it would take time. we would probably freeze and starve to death over time..

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
I have to point out that being on the east coast would be the worse thing. why would you wanna be down wind of a supervolcano? that's not the safest..

Quite right... I was in Toronto when St Helen blew... we had dust for days... the dust went high and east, despite what scientist said would happen... it was a thin band that moved east...

So I am thinking Vegas will be good... considering the western US dessert has been around since the days of the Dino's I will take my chances here...

Besides with Area 51 flying saucers and Bigelow Aerospace's new Gemini space station hotels and Albuequerque's new space port,, I think I will have best chance to hitch a ride off world if need be

And if not... well Vegas would throw one hell of an "End of Days" party

[edit on 26-6-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Oh come on, do people still believe the every 600,000 years thing?

Previous eruptions:

640,000 years ago

1.3 mya (660,000 years gap)

2.1 mya (800,000 years ago)

Average gap 730,000 years.... not that 2 samples is any good statistically.

And then there is that uplift, but very little seismic activity. So probably not anytime soon. But no one really knows with Yellowstone, it's true.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
seismic activity doesnt mean much..i heard scientists only have about a 5 minute warning time before she goes boom...anyway today..tomorrow...50,000 years..who knows...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join