It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA beefs up next-generation moon rocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

NASA beefs up next-generation moon rocket

www.lasvegassun.com

he Associated Press

Wed, Jun 25, 2008 (1:57 p.m.)
Click here to find out more!

NASA unveiled a beefed-up redesign of a proposed moon rocket Wednesday, saying the Ares V spacecraft that is to carry astronauts to the lunar surface in 12 years will be around 38 stories tall and carry a heftier load than originally planned.

The rocket is to be about 20 feet longer than a previous design and have six main engines at its base, instead of five. Engineers said they also decided to enlarge the twin solid-rocket boosters that will be bolted to its side so it can hold more fuel and carry more supplies and equipment than first envisioned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The changes were announced after a nine-month study to determine if NASA could meet its goal of returning to the moon. In a statement, Constellation program manager Jeff Hanley said the review showed astronauts can be back on the moon by 2020.

Looks like we will be returning to the moon. Hopefully this will put all those nasty moon rumors to rest.

www.lasvegassun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If we have already gone to the moon, when our technology wasnt advanced as it is now then why do we have wait until 2020 to get back to the moon. Going to the moon shouldnt be as hard as NASA is making it out to be since we have already done that.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The official story changes with time and will likely change some more and get more expensive. Anyone got 1.9 Billion for IT this year? Check Shana's blog.

Back on Jan 16th Jeff hanley was sending out memos on a full one year delay. Guess "someone" educated him and on the 18th said, "just kidding".

Ares I and Ares V have serious performance issues and the budget is ballooning like a Roswell balloon "story".

The "short" story is over at NASAWATCH. Griff', "Um, Jeff screwd up." We won't talk about Doc Horowitz's erm, history of the early design screw ups.

Links for the thinks:
NASA WATCH delays and Ares I

Jan 16th Hanley Memo PDF

Jan 18th Hanley Memo PDF

Problems not being talked about including whip

Griff attempts to bully the media yet again. Griffin Gets Snarky at DC Breakfast

Makes the Hubble mission troubles seem mild. What do you mean we layed-off the guys who are supposed to process this?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Looks like we will be returning to the moon. Hopefully this will put all those nasty moon rumors to rest.

Or just maybe, create some new ones?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
ISTM, what is needed is not a bigger booster, but:

1. More robust way to shield against radiation during the trip
2. A better method of rendezvous with the Lunar module, which only had one engine in the initial landing. If that failed they were dead.
3. A better method of returning them after the rendezvous. We know what happened with Apollo 13. The lander needs to be independently able to return to Earth (which would be difficult given the penalty of the excess weight).
4. A separate rocket and system available for immediate launch, to enable a rescue mission if the LEM or the Orbiter goes bad.

I wonder if they're planning on using that same design and if so, why use such a high risk method?

Seems foolhardy, given the reduced need for this mission since we already got the title 'first' on the Moon.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by isa75
If we have already gone to the moon, when our technology wasnt advanced as it is now then why do we have wait until 2020 to get back to the moon. Going to the moon shouldn't be as hard as NASA is making it out to be since we have already done that.

That's just what I've been thinking. 12 years?? Are you kidding me? Well I guess that we have to wait a bit. I bet it will be longer still when some future administration cuts the funding back. The Potomac two step!
All kidding aside, at least when and if we do get back there, at least it will put all of the moon fantasies to rest.

new topics

top topics

join