It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptical on ATS & Chances We've Been Given.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Ever wonder what it's like to be a skeptical person on a conspiracy forum mostly dedicated to Aliens & UFO's, a person of science and empirical evidence? But at the same time a person who understands that out of the billions and billions of stars strung across billions of galaxies the chance of other intellectual life is there and modest. A person who in their past had seen a single UFO up close and personal, a person who is excited about belonging to a family of species that populate the vast cosmos? But at the same time in dire need of proof? I guess it's the same exact dilemma evolutionary biologists face if they somehow retain a shred of belief in a divine creator. Because lets face it... The hard evidence for extraterrestrials as of this post is zilch.

Before I get into what will be perceived as the meat of this thread, I want to point out a few things about us and the special place we all share. We're a community of people who find conspiracies interesting. Don't kid yourself in thinking that skeptics or "debunkers" don't find these topics appealing (in one form or another). Some of us are called "believers" because even without evidence they're convinced we're being visited by extraterrestrials. Then there's a whole group of people stuck in the middle leaning towards being a full blown skeptic or full blown believer. This is why ATS is special, folks. There's a plethora of difference present and they're all allowed to be represented.

While this may make ATS special it certainly allows for immense clashes between groups. This is what I want to talk about and this is why I believe that it's time for Ufology to strive for excellence. It's truly time for the field to divide the good from the bad and prove that it's not just pseudoscientific bull. I've never understood why there weren't any people striving to elevate the field to scientific standards. I wonder, is it because it's too hard? If extraterrestrials are here and not unreachable then there must be cases out there that have yet to be explained that can be touched upon by the scientific method. [en.wikipedia.org...]

Do people here have any idea what an amazing chance we as a community have been given? It doesn't matter what the end truth to the whole expedition will be. What does matter is that we've moved on to greater and better things through our search for undeniable truth. We can make this into an independent effort with no bias one way or another. Chances are the whole process will result in proving or disproving the once unexplainable. Why should people fear answers to questions everybody here has asked in one time or another? Would you rather live in belief, ignorance, or the truth?

At this point I've outlined the general path I'd like for us to tread. I'm certain that there will be believers who will disagree. They'll tell me that there's no sense to look because the truth is already out there. No matter what we do there will always be those that do not care for evidence. This is the way in all science and it's the first sign that you're heading in the right direction. There will be skeptics who tell me that there's no point. It's not up to us to prove the existence of extraterrestrial life visiting us. Burden of proof, QED. This is the way in all science and it's the second sign that you're heading in the right direction. We've acknowledged that and are out searching for answers in either direction. You must understand that the hunger for truth should not stop you in a comfortable position.

Before I get myself in way over my head I want to hear from everybody on ATS. This isn't about a single person leading anybody anywhere. This is about people who've felt the same way or understand the need to move forward. This is about a collection of people. You've been challenged and I hope that the conversation will be healthy and professional.

Carl Sagan
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I agree with most of what you said. I think one of the problems right now is that no one has really made a conscious effort to form an independent ATS UFOlogy group that is skeptical by nature and willing to analyze any and all available evidence in an unbiased manner.

I desperately would like to be able to convince other, slightly more skeptical people, that we are, without a doubt, being visited by extraterrestrials--and that is precisely the reason why the problems with popular UFOlogy have become evident to me. There is far too much guesswork involved, and far too little actual science. Popular UFOlogy is scaring away far too many rational people before they even have a chance to analyze any potential evidence.

I may not be an expert in any one field that could be of use to a group like this, but I am a more than capable semi-professional in the fields of video and audio production, editing and analysis who could assist with any such work that could potentially contribute to the cause.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majal
I may not be an expert in any one field...

I believe that this will become an issue and a bias towards a number of people that could and should participate in such an independent effort. If anything this project should make the field more approachable by experts in theoretical physics. I know that Michio Kaku [en.wikipedia.org...] has expressed interest in the UFO cases that have yet to to be explained. If we could find a specific event that deserves an investigation and if it goes past a multitude of tests... Well then it could be presented to what folks would consider to be experts.

There's no doubt that before the process can begin many people would need to educate themselves on any number of fields. Maybe that's why there are very few people willing to head out and test for truth in Ufology. It takes time and resources.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majal
I desperately would like to be able to convince other, slightly more skeptical people, that we are, without a doubt, being visited by extraterrestrials--and that is precisely the reason why the problems with popular UFOlogy have become evident to me.

Instead of convincing a skeptic, maybe the correct way is to work with them to help rule out possible misidentifications or events to provide a fair and unbiased investigation.

There is far too much guesswork involved, and far too little actual science. Popular UFOlogy is scaring away far too many rational people before they even have a chance to analyze any potential evidence.

Totally agree with this. There is far too much bias on the believer side (as well as the skeptic side too, i guess). This is why I try to avoid most threads at ATS that involve assumptions or state "100% proof of ET's, etc". Maybe if we treated UFO'ology as and actual science, then maybe more people will take it seriously

I may not be an expert in any one field that could be of use to a group like this, but I am a more than capable semi-professional in the fields of video and audio production, editing and analysis who could assist with any such work that could potentially contribute to the cause.

I too would be happy to help with any weather phenomenen that is mistakingly identified as a UFO or otherwordly occurence. Also weather balloons identification

top topics

join