It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Public Softens from Religious Dogma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
According to a recent study of religion, they have found that most of Americans, though highly religious for the most part, are not stringently attached to the dogma associated with their particular religion.

This is definitely a positive sign in acceptance and tolerance and rather open-mindedness of the American public. Not to say that the leaders of these religions are too happy about this new finding. It is rather the people who believe that there is more than one way to salvation, and many ways to interpret religions.

But they also say, contradicting the teachings of many faiths, that truth comes in many forms. Large majorities of Americans say that many religions - not just their own - can lead to eternal life, and that there is more than one way to interpret religious teachings, according to a massive new study of religion in America conducted by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life and released yesterday.

This is definitely a far cry from the religious wars in other countries and of times past. I am wondering, for those of you that are highly religious, what this study means of faith pertaining to individual religions. I also ask what the general public thinks of this mentality for the year 2008. What does this imply for the literal interpretations of religions?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The link to the article is:

www.boston.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
verndewd here.
This is a good sign , Religious dogma has been a plague on man for a very long time, and really became prolific in ugliness after the establishment of the holy roman empire and biblical cannons were edited. prior to that The religious strife was mainly a semitic agenda dating back to the rule of sargon in akkadia. from which came the flawed chosen race idiocracy.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ah, we do love to say the word "dogma" don't we?

If you're saying the American Christian public does not fit the stereotype of what people consider to be Christian, then absolutely this is a true statement.

In regards to the one example given on how this may be the case, The Bible says:

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

So a person who calls themselves a 'Christian' is only given two choices. You either:

A.) Believe Christ is telling the truth

or

B.) Do not believe Christ is telling the truth

If the person says "B" then are they really a follower of Christ? Can someone be a Christian and NOT follow Christ? The statement he'd given does not leave any 'shades of grey', not even from a legalistic standpoint.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

huh....

so i can disregard 99.9% of the bible and still be a christian, how nice..

...i'm referring to the parts of the bible where jesus isn't actually doing/saying anything

so, saint, you believe that jesus is telling the truth

so you believe the only way to follow him is to abandon your old life, your children, your parents, your wife etc, and go with him?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
huh....

so i can disregard 99.9% of the bible and still be a christian, how nice..

This is a bizarre conclusion. I'm curious how you came to it.

so, saint, you believe that jesus is telling the truth

Yes.

so you believe the only way to follow him is to abandon your old life, your children, your parents, your wife etc, and go with him?

Yes. I was guilty of following people other than him and fell to disappointment after disappointment. It wasn't until I followed him did my spouse, parents, children and so forth begin to head in the right direction. Leadership often means much more than physically walking in front of someone and expecting them to follow. My old life was rife with uncontrollable sin before him. My new life had released that weight.

"Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.'" - John 3:6-7

[edit on 26-6-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Your testimony is a life-affirming one and I thank you for sharing it. Despite the negative connotations associated with organized religion, like politics, it is the few bad seeds that overwhelmingly represent the whole, at least in the media. It is testimonies like yours that help me understand why/how my parents are so religious.

It is ignorant to believe that, because religious wars have killed so many in the past, that it is in any way connected to the spirituality and positive change that it brings about to the majority that allow themselves to be enlightened by it.

I believe that God, or whoever is up there, is beyond the petiness of man. Beyond classification, the powers above can instantly peer into the heart and soul of man, despite our efforts and masquerades and intentions.

If it has changed the course of your's and your family's life, more power to you.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by astronomine
It is ignorant to believe that, because religious wars have killed so many in the past,

*pause* Firstly, wars are about territory, power, money, and resources.

Secondly:

"Joseph Stalin was responsible for killing over 40 million people. Joseph Stalin closed down over 48 000 churches, and attempted the liquidation of the entire Christian Church." - www.christianaction.org.za...

This isn't propaganda, it's verifiable fact:

"Merridale does not attempt to put a precise figure on how many Russians lives were lost to violence between 1914 and Stalin's death in 1953, but suggests a total well in excess of 50 MILLION. All of it planned." - www.federalobserver.com...

"So, for a very rough estimate of how many Orthodox Christians were murdered by the Communist Regime, take 75% of 54,769,000. Answer = 41,076,750."

"In terms of clergy, a very high proportion of 1917's bishops, priests, monks and nuns were murdered by the Soviets, mainly in the two great anti-church offensives of 1918-22 and 1929-30."

"In 1914 in Russia there were 55,173 Russian Orthodox churches and 29,593 chapels, 112,629 priests and deacons, 550 monasteries and 475 convents with a total of 95,259 monks and nuns."

- answers.yahoo.com...

This was not a religious war, this was the act of an athiestic regime. The progression of laws during that time removed the rights and lives of believers one set of decrees at a time.

[edit on 27-6-2008 by saint4God]

top topics

join