It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Phoenix Lander finds life...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
on Mars, do you think NASA will tell us about it? Do you think they might hide the vidence from the people and say that there was no life? What are your feelings on this?

**edit typo

[edit on 6/6/2008 by EternalThought]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EternalThought
on Mars, do you think NASA will the us about it? Do you think they might hide the vidence from the people and say that there was no life? What are your feelings on this?

My personal opinion is that the entire Phoenix lander story is a cover anyway. They've known about extra-terestrial life for decades so I doubt that they'll "accidentally" find anything, even if they do publically announce it.

What Im saying is that any "evidence" would be deliberate, planted evidence if they were inclinded to disclose extra-terestrial life.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by EternalThought

If and that's a really big IF they find life and decided to let us know about finding it the Government would step in and control every aspect of what is being released.

I'm with the crowd that feels they already know there is life out there I think this is really a sham, Or one could suppose this is their way of " Finding life "
and their attempt once again to control HOW we learn what they already know.
And slowly bring us up to speed

There is life out there!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EternalThought

There is life on Mars because I have seen many life forms from Viking 1 and 2, Pathfinder Sojourner, Spirit and Opportunity mission photographs.

Hold onto your hats because the first scoop full of Martian soil picked up by the Phoenix Lander back hoe contained ice and I found at least one fossil or skeletal remains with what looks to be one of these either a worm, centipede or caterpillar with a sharp point coming off the back of the rounded head and 2 eyes and a vertebrae skeleton. The vertebrae are in line like a flexible metallic wrist watch band that bends because the fossil was photographed in a slightly curved position lodged in the scooped up Martian soil sample. Rik Riley

[edit on 5-6-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I believe they may tell us about the discovery of life on Mars as part of the slow process of disclosure. It will start IMO with an announcement of microscopic life on Mars and then over the course of several years they will acclimate the masses to accept the fact that we are not alone in the universe. I believe that is the way the PtB will begin the process without causing chaos and upheaval. Baby steps!

[edit on 5-6-2008 by TheShadow]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheShadow

If it were up to me, i'd release all the information regardless of the consequences. It might be one hell of shock to alot of people but people would get used to the idea.

More people would die in the years "building upto" that point of full disclosure than releasing it all at once, due to technolgy which could potentially solve most of the worlds problems. Thats if that technolgy isn't weaponised...

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

I don't disagree! We are an adaptive species and we would adjust accordingly. I think there would be chaos (especially in the religious world and zealots) that would eventually lead to peace and harmony among our species. Unfortunately the decision is not up to you and I!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

i think most people wouldnt take life on mars to be alien, in a sense if its an organsim, itll be explained of as cells and how everything is already made up of stuff like that anyway

itll be like its less than an ameoba or something i dont know

most people are wanting little green men or bad ass aliens from movie types

who knows

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheShadow

I have to agree with you, I have said all along this is how NASA is going to present Life in baby steps. First by discovering water, ice, fossils, microbial life and larger breathing biological lifeforms roaming the surface of Mars. Not enough oxygen guess again.

NASA will hold back as long as they can on the life issue and the reason they can is they can get away with it and there is no rush and no adversary there or here to expose them hiding the truth about life on Mars. The only group of people pushing them about the question of the life issue on Mars are we the tax payers and we do not count.

Yes there are a few scientific researchers and book writers on the subject of Mars that are pushing the issue of exposing past and present life forms on Mars, but the Universities and Scientists that count receive government grant money and they are in the know and will keep their mouth shut because millions of dollars are on the line.

The employees of NASA/JPL and other contractors are not going to spill the beans about life on Mars because there would go their contracts, pay checks, and retirement. Employees as well as contractors working for or with NASA have signed secrecy agreements and if breached could face imprisonment and stiff finds. Further more the higher 6 figure employees are the ones that are in the know about what types of life existing and where life can be found on Mars. Most departments are compartmentalized with NASA to control secrets of getting out to the world and tax paying citizens of the U.S. Rik Riley

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well IMO

most people are wanting little green men or bad ass aliens from movie types

If they do find some sort of life I agree it will microbial or some sort of fossil remains of such. As far as advanced alien tech that's stretching it a bit.

If it were up to me, i'd release all the information regardless of the consequences

Man that could get bad really bad, Consider what has happened to humans in our own history when a more advanced society comes into contact with one that is less advanced, the lesser seem to fall apart and never really recover from the shock.

I have to agree with you, I have said all along this is how NASA is going to present Life in baby steps.

Exactly

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Man that could get bad really bad, Consider what has happened to humans in our own history when a more advanced society comes into contact with one that is less advanced, the lesser seem to fall apart and never really recover from the shock.

Yes there would likely be a *shock and awe* effect from a public disclosure but the extent is not really known. It would depend on how knowledgable the people already are and with the advent of the internet this could be interesting.

I am not taking anything for granted but I am saying that the *chaos factor* is probably greatly exaggerated. In another decade or two nasa will probably be the only agency saying we are looking for "microbial life" and believing it.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Yes there would likely be a *shock and awe* effect from a public disclosure but the extent is not really known. It would depend on how knowledgable the people already are and with the advent of the internet this could be interesting.

I agree disclosure should happen at a greater pace but by whom?
NASA, The Government?

What will they say

We found proof of advanced life in outer space and We lied to you we've known about it for decades.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
No one has pointed out that the Phoenix lander is not equipped with a biology lab. The only means it has to detect life is photographically.

Which brings up this question: why has there been only two martian probes equipped with life-science labs in the last 32 years, both of which landed in 1976? Why is it that with all the advanced sophistication a lab could now possess 32 years later--probe after probe, lander after lander, rover after rover--not one of them is equipped with a state-of-the-art bio-lab?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
No one has pointed out that the Phoenix lander is not equipped with a biology lab. The only means it has to detect life is photographically.

To answer these questions, Phoenix uses some of the most sophisticated and advanced technology ever sent to Mars. A robust robotic arm built by JPL digs through the soil to the water ice layer underneath, and delivers soil and ice samples to the mission's experiments. On the deck, miniature ovens and a mass spectrometer, built by the University of Arizona and University of Texas-Dallas, will provide chemical analysis of trace matter. A chemistry lab-in-a-box, assembled by JPL, will characterize the soil and ice chemistry.

I think it's more than a high tech camera

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
ok, all of those are great answers, and I agree with them. What if they say"there is NO life". Would that be a waste of their money and efforts? Or will this make them look genuine about finding the truth?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
why has there been only two martian probes equipped with life-science labs in the last 32 years, both of which landed in 1976? Why is it that with all the advanced sophistication a lab could now possess 32 years later--probe after probe, lander after lander, rover after rover--not one of them is equipped with a state-of-the-art bio-lab?

Simply put, if you know there is milk in the fridge you won't keep going to it and opening it to check if there is still milk in the fridge

Makes one think hey LOL

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think they would told us ... even if they don't find life there they can tell us there might be life, they saw some stuff and need further investigations to find out if there is life. They need money so i think they would tell us the next moment they found it. If they will have 100% proof they will immediatelly tell us .... cause they need financial help.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I agree disclosure should happen at a greater pace but by whom?
NASA, The Government?

What will they say

We found proof of advanced life in outer space and We lied to you we've known about it for decades.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by SLAYER69]

First of all I don't claim to know the truth. I am only speculating based on the information available on the internet. I realize there is a huge amount of disinformation so in the end it becomes a matter of trusting one theory over another or combining multiple theories that are somewhat related.

I might be on the right path or I might even be totally wrong. In fact, since my theory assumes "a worst case scenario" I would prefer being proven wrong rather than right. A blow to one's ego is a small price to pay when considiring the bigger picture. ;]

Tell me, "do you know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" or are you just speculating like others. I am not attacking you, I am just trying to get to the bottom of this mess. Also ask yourself: Is the truth that horrible that it must be conceleaded at all costs for over 50 years?! If yes how can it be handled at an all-around minimum cost? Should "they" keep lying perpetually or should they spill the beans and cut our losses?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Only one problem with the OP's post.

Phoenix cannot detect life; only the right conditions for it to exist. They are basically looking for tell tale signs of it.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The fact of the matter is there are still old people that would die at the thought of it. They still talk about the horse and buggy. Pretty much anyone over 60 is going to freak out or call it a lie. They were raised so deeply in the church that they have no other reason to think about other life forms. In about 10 years most of them will be dead and we will get our disclosure. So it is the geriatric conspiracy.

<<   2 >>

join