It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subterranean Worlds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Are there "lost" subterranean civilizations?

Are there pockets of Hollow in which people live?

Are there ancient races of beings who view us as "surface dwellers"?

Are there vast ancient tunnel-systems below earth?

And what about modern day subterranean tunnels and buildings built by governments without public knowledge?

I want to re-explore these questions because, after having dismissed the whole issue a few years ago, I came across some inconsistencies.

1. The mythological underworld and the afterlife are two different things

Most are aware that nearly all ancient mythologies refer to a "Underworld".
Popular Opinion has it that this "Underworld" refers to the "Afterlife".
But what if it doesnt? What if the ancients had other words for the "Afterlife" and by "Underworld" they simply meant subterranean worlds?

Look at all the cultures that had names for the Underworld:

Aztec mythology Mictlan
Babylonian mythology Kurnugia
Buddhist mythology Naraka (also Niraya)
Celtic mythology Annwn, Mag Mell
Chinese mythology Diyu
Christian mythology Hades, Hell, Limbo, Paradise, Purgatory, Devil
Egyptian mythology Aaru, Anubis, Duat, Neter-khertet
Estonian mythology Toonela
Fijian mythology see Melanesian mythology.
Finnish mythology Tuonela
Greek mythology Elysium, Asphodel Meadows, Hades, Tartarus

Hebrew Biblical mythology Sheol, Gehenna
Hindu mythology Amaravati, Bhogavati, Naraka, Soma, Svarga, Patal
Inca mythology Uku Pacha
Inuit mythology Adlivun
Islamic mythology Jahannam, Narr, Jannah, Barzakh, Araf
Japanese mythology Yomi, Jigoku
Latvian mythology Aizsaule
Mapuche mythology Pellumawida, Degin, Wenuleufu, Ngullchenmaiwe
Mayan mythology Metnal, Xibalba
Melanesian mythology (includes Fijian) Bulu, Burotu, Murimuria, Nabangatai, Tuma
Norse mythology Gimlé, Hel, Niflheim, Valhalla, Vingólf
Oromo mythology Ekera
Philippine mythology Kasanaan, Empiyerno
Polynesian mythology Avaiki, Bulotu, Iva, Lua-o-Milu, Nga- Atua, Pulotu, Rangi Tuarea, Te Toi-o-nga-Ranga, Uranga-o-Te-Ra
Pueblo mythology Shipap
Roman mythology Avernus, Hades, Pluto
Slavic mythology Peklo
Sumerian mythology Dilmun, Kur, Ki-Gal
Vodou mythology Guinee
Wagawaga mythology Hiyoyoa

Source

Having read many of these underworld accounts I saw that many of them dont refer to the process of the soul transmigrating from the physical world to the spiritual world (for which Mythology often has other names) but plenty of specific description of going "under the earth", "underground", "into caves", "beneath the earth", etc. I will be quoting such lines when I find the time to search through my books. For now, contrast the accounts of going Underworld with the Accounts going into The Afterlife

They dont seem to be the same thing. It would seem that our scholars from medieval times have misinterpreted underworld to mean the religious afterlife.

2. Its easy for an ant to find a crack in the earth it can slip into

What do I mean by that? I mean that its highly improbable
that in thousands of years of civilization nobody has come up with the idea to live, hide or build towns in caves, subterranean dwellings. Compared to the earths size we are like ants and could easily slip into one of the earths cracks.

Is this why legends of subterranean people, strange beings coming from caves and underground cities have persisted to this day?

Looking at these very real subterranean places, how unrealistic is it for people to live in them:

3. Modern Subterranean Facilities are being kept secret

If anyone read Richard Sauders books on subterranean and underwater government facilities which are well documented and would pass in any court of law, they know that its not too difficult to keep subterranean activity secret and that our governments are doing just that for military or emergency purpose.

Could it be that some ancient people had the same idea as our modern day governments?

Help collect information on subterranean worlds. Maybe we´ll find out.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Interesting idea for a thread. The subject is indeed intriguing, with many aspects that really need investigation. The internet pipes are seriously clogged with nonsense about underground bases and tunnel systems, but I can't help thinking there is a real signal "buried" in all that noise. The fact that the world's governments have spent billions on underground facilities over the past 70 years or so is well documented.

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Double_Nought_Spy

Yes, Im wanting to avoid the beaten path on this subject and look at a few new angles a bit more down-to-under-earth than commonly known dulce, deros, hollow-earth tales.

I feel the idea has been discredited by all the nonsense although its an idea worthy of inspection.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
i have read some info on military personnel who claimed to have lived in the center of earth, they claimed it is hollow and that there is an entire civilization down there and that they had lived there for years. ill try and find the articles, but he went into a lot of detail about it which made me wonder.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Howdy Sky

Humans don't do well underground unless they have technology to provide the UV that will cause Vitamin D3 to be manufactured in our skins.

Lack of sunlight causes SAD, which is depression. Being that we evolved in opn terrain we do seem to miss it. Lack of D3 causes death.

Could unmutated people live, without technology underground? Yep if they had access to other sources of Vitamin D3, as in fatty fish, fish liver oil. poultry eggs or mushrooms. However the mushrooms only work if they can be exposed to UV before being eaten.

People use to live in caves as a matter of choice but of course sought the vast majority of their food outside.

The Roman's and Chinese found that slaves condemned to work in deep mines tended to die off. In the 19th century living underground in deep mines came back. The 19th century experience was the same as the earlier tries, the people didn't last very long.

Jules Verne wrote a book about a community of cave dwellers.

-another problem with living underground are the limited food resources.

So could there have been underground civilizations? Yes with a few assumption:

Like light colored skin is an adaptation to catch more sunlight, or developing the ability to digest lactose is a mutation to allow greater use of food resources a human population could develop a mutation that allows production of D3. Or they might have developed the tech to fortify their food with it (which is what our civilization does.

Where cave living develped (in Anatolia and elsewhere) the caves were not used full time and only as homes and storage areas. Food production was outside.

When ancient man would look at the world, strange places could be in two locations, in the sky or in the ground. They could see what came from the sky and what came out of the ground. They would have also noted that dead bodies-return to ground as they decompose. Waste also goes to the ground.

They probably made a decision as to what came from where based on those factors.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Howdy Sky

Humans don't do well underground unless they have technology to provide the UV that will cause Vitamin D3 to be manufactured in our skins.

Lack of sunlight causes SAD, which is depression. Being that we evolved in opn terrain we do seem to miss it. Lack of D3 causes death.

Could unmutated people live, without technology underground? Yep if they had access to other sources of Vitamin D3, as in fatty fish, fish liver oil. poultry eggs or mushrooms. However the mushrooms only work if they can be exposed to UV before being eaten.

Or they mutate.

Thanks for the interesting data.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So your stating its impossible for a natural todays human to survive underground in these condictions?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I've heard storys about a subterranean world having "heat like the sun", of course it wasn't as hot as the supernova sun but a manipulated creation for the subterranean world.........Interesting thread...................

I've always woundered how magnets are affected towards the sun ;-)

[edit on 1-6-2008 by CosmicVegeta100]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

So your stating its impossible for a natural todays human to survive underground in these condictions?

If they have those D3 foods they can do so but they will tend to have depression. This depression and D3 effect is noted in those who live above the arctic circle and even in those who work night jobs and/or avoid sunlight.

So long term, without sunlight or foods that have that D3 I wouldn't think humans wouldn't do well at all. I couldn't find a time frame of how long a human can live without D3.

Human skin evolved to allow more D3 conversion in those living in the norther hemisphere, or so the theory goes. Such northerners generally have lighter skins.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   

If they have those D3 foods they can do so but they will tend to have depression. This depression and D3 effect is noted in those who live above the arctic circle and even in those who work night jobs and/or avoid sunlight.

Then why are the people of Iceland, who have much less sunlight, ranked as one of the happiest and prosperous in various studies?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Theres not really any food down there though? Theres no usable soil to make into farmland, theres not any significant fish populations of large fish, theres no large animals at all... How would a decent sized human population survive on bats, mice and rats, all of which carry deadly diseases?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 1-Cent

Those who research this topic, will note that the majority of 'reports' involving interactions between surface dwellers and those below - indicates the various dwellers below always have significantly advanced technology to our own.

IF - this is the case, then the questions about health, food, lighting etc, would be 'explainable', so to speak.

Duncan

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

The Book of Numbers (Judaism) identifies sheol as literally underground (Numbers 16:31-33), in the Biblical account of the destruction of the rebellious Korah, Dathan and Abiram and their 250 followers, although it is speculated that this passage should be read literally, signifying an earthquake or split in the earth.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This is where the shapeshifting reptilians live, they most likely grow some type of animal on the cave walls like mushrooms for there food, and they draw their energy directly from the Earths core. uh ok

Cool thread Sky
I remember reading comic books about the underground dwellers attempting to over take us surface dwellers but we drove them back down and sealed their caves.

I'm sure there are enormous caverns somewhere down there. Do they support human or human like life, well that is the question at hand.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I see no reason for there not to be groups of people living in caverns. As for not getting enough sun... hah! I barely get any sun myself and I'm still alive.

Humans, like ants, are very resourceful. If we want to live underground, we'd find a way.

Although that doesn't necessarily mean that every story of the "underworld" should be understood in this sense. There may be other forms of perception in which the experience could also be defined as existing in an underworld.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
There may be other forms of perception in which the experience could also be defined as existing in an underworld.

Thats another level to consider, yes. I would bet good money that certain levels of awareness perceive different things than others.

Personally, I go into it here though because Im looking for some hard-indicators of subterranean activity.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This material might be too contemporary to compare to your list SKY, but i think it adds a bit of weight to what you are saying. It also says to me that if the circumstances are forced upon them, people will live anywhere which makes your post interestingly possible.
www.fragiledwelling.org...

One of the oldest surviving homeless communities in New York City stretches for two and a half miles underground on the Upper West Side. Hidden from public view in an abandoned freight tunnel, this habitation existed for sixteen years before it was discovered by Amtrak crews

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thats good atlasastro.

The whole idea is:

Whats going on below?

Im seriously certain there is something going on people-wise, I just dont know what.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Then why are the people of Iceland, who have much less sunlight, ranked as one of the happiest and prosperous in various studies?

They have light skins and eat large amount of oily fish - which has D3, as noted above. They also have a good culture which promotes outdoor activities. Iceland is also below the arctic circle.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
cavernous living I am posting this only because I think Cappadocia is beautiful. If I was going to live in a cave underground it would be here.Cave Dwellings

above ground

underground map

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join