It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Explosions on the Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

100 Explosions on the Moon

science.nasa.gov

May 21, 2008: Not so long ago, anyone claiming to see flashes of light on the Moon would be viewed with deep suspicion by professional astronomers. Such reports were filed under "L" … for lunatic.

Not anymore. Over the past two and a half years, NASA astronomers have observed the Moon flashing at them not just once but one hundred times.

"They're explosions caused by meteoroids hitting the Moon," explains Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office at the Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC). "A typical blast is about as powerful as a few hundred pounds of TNT and can be photographed easily using a backyard telescope."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Im not a scientist, but would meteoroids make flashes on the moon. I mean the moon basically has almost no atmosphere, and less than half the gravity of earth. There isnt really any way i can picture a meteorite making bright flashes of light while hitting the rocky,dust layer surface of the moon.

science.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Have you had the chance to look through John Lears Moon pictures thread? This is covered in there. It is 263 pages of craziness, but it is some of the more fascinating material on ATS.

Take a look if you haven't already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSGUY

Oh My God! Thank you so much for finding and posting this article, I am printing it out to show all those people whom I have told about seeing explosions on the moon! No body believes me, but, I work 3rd shift, I smoke, I go outside constantly and look up at the sky while having a cig. One night I was on the phone with my hubby and I saw this unbelievable explosion, it splashed fire up and away from the moon! He did not think I had really just seen this happen and brushed it off. I was awestruck. So I have kept on watching, in the last 2 years I have seen this happen so many times, it is the reason I wound up finding the site 'the living moon', which in turn brought me to ATS. By the way, my hubby finally saw this happen too, but he said he saw a show about it being some kind of electrical event, I can't wait to show him this article, because the first time I saw this it was quite large and I knew it was not just electricity, it was an explosion.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATSGUY
There isnt really any way i can picture a meteorite making bright flashes of light while hitting the rocky,dust layer surface of the moon.

When you think about the impact in conventional terms it doesn't make much sense. A rock strikes the surface and probably burrows itself into the moon. There might be some stuff thrown out of the crater but no flash.

Flashes come from the release of energy. The rock that hit the Earth that made Meteor Crater struck the ground with an explosive force greater than twenty million tons of TNT. I'm sure that made a flash. The energy comes from the kinetic forces involved. A rock traveling at several thousand miles per hour has A LOT of kinetic energy. That energy doesn't simply disappear. It's expended through an explosion.

Meteor Crater

[edit on 27-5-2008 by LazyGuy]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Have you had the chance to look through John Lears Moon pictures thread? This is covered in there. It is 263 pages of craziness, but it is some of the more fascinating material on ATS.

Take a look if you haven't already.

Karl beat me to it, star for Karl.

If John Lear IS correct and they are up there mining the moon then I bet we WOULD see explosions up there ALLOT!!.....

I have never seen any moon explosions, just for the record.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSGUY

I started a thread on this a day prior to this one and it can be found here:

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Different lighting effects have been observed on the moon for centuries and have become known as TLP's, Transient Lunar Phenomena.

Nasa released a record of these under Report No R-277.

"The purpose of this catalog is to provide a listing of historical and modern records that may be useful in investigations of possible activity on the moon."

Unfortunately it is no longer available on their report server but there is a copy here :

www.ignaciodarnaude.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It seems all those links are dead too..

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy

Originally posted by ATSGUY
There isnt really any way i can picture a meteorite making bright flashes of light while hitting the rocky,dust layer surface of the moon.

When you think about the impact in conventional terms it doesn't make much sense. A rock strikes the surface and probably burrows itself into the moon. There might be some stuff thrown out of the crater but no flash.

Flashes come from the release of energy. The rock that hit the Earth that made Meteor Crater struck the ground with an explosive force greater than twenty million tons of TNT. I'm sure that made a flash. The energy comes from the kinetic forces involved. A rock traveling at several thousand miles per hour has A LOT of kinetic energy. That energy doesn't simply disappear. It's expended through an explosion.

Meteor Crater

[edit on 27-5-2008 by LazyGuy]

How many times does something need to be explained before it is acknowledged?

Didn't john lear get banned from ATS?

edit; i gave you a star, if that's any consolation.

[edit on 6-28-2008 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
And I will formally give my thanks to the moon here for being the shield for all I know if it were not for the moon being where it was at the point, that explosion could have been my house : )….so thank you moon….

Best regards,
Richie

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
There is an already established thread on this topic here.

Please add any further comments/questions to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join