It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All this nonsense about my genes being responsible...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Flipping through the news media not a day goes by we dont read some article on how are genes are responsible for almost everything. I recall a few claims recently read:

"Genes are responsible for obesity"

Oh yeah? Then why arent any people shown on concentration-camp pictures fat?

"There is a smokers-gene. People smoke because of a genetic deficiency"

Oh yeah? Does that mean I have no choice if I start, stop or continue smoking?

"Depression is genetic"

So it has nothing at all to do with the fact that Mrs. Martha is sitting in front of the TV all day all by her lonely self without sun and fun?

"We are attracted to the opposite sex because of their genetic make-up"

So it has nothing at all to do with the mind-games?

For me personally the message sounds like "You have no choice. You are not responsible. You are not self-determined. There´s nothing you can do about it".

I strongly disagree with the attitude, neither does it make any sense on a day-to-day-experience level.

But people are starting to believe it. "Did you know that you cant loose weight because its in your genes?" someone once told me. I proved the person wrong by changing my movement and diet behaviour and it hasnt been an issue since.

So, who´s to blame for this? Science or junk-journalism? Or a bunch of people who are willing to believe they have no choices in life?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
An example of this (but these are still a tame example of the no-choice message)

Smokers Gene

Some smokers are genetically predisposed to have difficulty quitting. Scientists at the Keio University in Japan have found that smokers with a specific genotype, CYP2A6del (deletion) find it hardest to give up smoking. CYP2A6 is the gene responsible for metabolising nicotine. People with the ...

Obesity and genes

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Genetic makeup can make people more suceptible to certain conditions...obesity, addiction, cancer, mental illness...

It's not to say that the blame for being fat or an alcoholic can be placed squarely on the shoulders of genes...it's more along the lines of the genes having "primed the pump" for some diseases/conditions, and if the right catalyst is added to the equation (too many Twinkies, etc.), WHAMMO, you got yourself into a load of trouble.

For instance, the presence of the JAK2 gene in my body is one reason why I have developed rheumatoid arthritis...but, other risk factors come into play with RA, such as me being a smoker since the age of 17 and being female, so who knows...maybe if I never started smoking and was somehow able to change my sex, I'd be able to type faster than I do now.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by ezziboo]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Irresponsible Behaviour

An especially disgusting example comes to mind. An acquaintance of of an acquaintance of mine is insanely obese and I know exactly why he is.

Its due to several psychological issues and the fact that he suppresses them by outrageous overeating and total lack of movement.

And you know what he says? "I dont have to berate myself anymore. I know its genetic. Its not my fault".

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Its quite simple really. Science destroyed religion for many people, losing lots of people who would do what a book told them, live how a book told them and were easy to control because of it. Now science need a new way of destroying hope of people running their own lives again, so they can once again be under total control and fewer will fight for free will.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezziboo

For instance, the presence of the JAK2 gene in my body is one reason why I have developed rheumatoid arthritis...but, other risk factors come into play with RA, such as me being a smoker since the age of 17 and being female, so who knows...maybe if I never started smoking and was somehow able to change my sex, I'd be able to type faster than I do now.

What about psychological and environmental factors?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
i wear levis and my jeans always talk me into things i dont want to do
. ok. ok . stupid joke..

it sadens me too that our society needs to blame problems on something else. it why things never change around here. it is YOUR FAULT.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Awesome thread.

I too am always hearing how people's mistakes are blamed on bad genes or some excuse like that.

I really think that everyone has a choice in what they start doing, whether it be smoking, or eating etc. And the whole blaming it on your genetic makeup is getting old. I believe that it is just an excuse for people who do not want to take responsibiltiy for their actions.

If you started smoking you made the decision to start, you didn't have to. Your'e genetic makeup didn't force you to start smoking.

I believe that there is a conspracy to make people think they don't have a choice, and should just fall in line and do as their told. We are playing right into their hands.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
I believe that there is a conspracy to make people think they don't have a choice, and should just fall in line and do as their told. We are playing right into their hands.

Im glad Im not alone in thinking that. It also seems that the whole genes business is not the only area in which science "proves" that we have no choice.

In fact, both religion and science dont seem too supportive of free will and personal responsibility.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yup they want us to think, well gosh if I don't have a choice than why should I care?

They will keep slowly manipulating the population until no one stands up for what they believe in.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

RA is an autoimmune disorder (meaning my immune system is attacking my joints, connective tissues, and organs as though they were foreign objects that should be destroyed), so being that this is a physiological condition, I very much doubt that any "psychological" factor could have contributed...

Environmental factors as contributors? Maybe...

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

GREAT thread SF. I too believe that regardless of your genetic makeup, in the end, you can't rely on some sort of manifest-destiny to control your life for you.

I don't know if any of you have seen this but I relate to the episode of South Park called "Bloody Mary" where Randy Marsh goes from being just a big drinker to finding out he has a "disease." Once he chalks it up to this "disease," his alcoholism spirals out of control.

AA guy- Your dad needs help. He has a disease
Stan- No he just needs to drink less
AA guy- He must admit that he has no control over his drinking and leave it to a higher power!
Stan- No he just lacks discipline

Hmmmm. Or maybe I should stop getting all my life's knowledge from a profane TV show... Nahhh.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Was your post directed at me? If so, let me explain...in no way was I blaming my genes for "making" me become a smoker...I did so of my own free will. Smoking increases the risk of developing RA, but even if I had never, ever, ever smoked, perhaps the JAK2 gene would have "awakened" on its own...who knows?

The point I was trying to make is that when it comes to certain diseases/conditions, genes can be:
a) time bombs set to go off whether we like it or not,
b) they can remain sleeping tigers,
c) they can be triggered by stupid things that we do.

On the other hand, there can be no genes involved at all...for instance:
a) a person may be fat because they simply eat far too much...
b) someone needs a new liver because the one they were born with has become cirrhotic from drinking a six-pack every night
c) depression stemming from lonliness...such as that of a complete nerd who will never find female companionship due to being socially inept because he chooses to spend his time in the virtual world rather than the real world.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ezziboo

Sorry if my post made it look like it was directed towards you it wasn't.

I know genes can cause diseases and such, I mean heart disease runs in my family so I am probably going to have heart problems.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Free will evolves! It just doesn't suddenly become strong and can overcome everything.

Genes and the environment play a gigantic role in human development. Yes, I understand if they want to blame everything on the genes. No, it's not nonsense, but it doesn't mean I will let people get away for doing criminal activities.

And it's definitely not healthy for their own spiritual evolution if they kept blaming it on the genes. It makes their 'free will' (soul) weak, under empowered.

Google Video Link

Ghost in Your Genes

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well if we are all a bunch of helpless victims to our own genetic makeup we can always turn to the greatest miracle workers of cures on the planet...the pharmacutical industry. There is a price tag on all that scientific discovery, money trumps truth everytime.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
theend, thanks for clearing that up

The phrase "heart disease runs in my family" means that you might be predisposed to developing heart disease due to the genes handed down to you by your ancestors....which is the point I was trying to make

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Awesome thread Skyfloating!

This COMPLETELY ties in with the two major themes spoon fed to us night and day by all the media these days, print, television, news on the internet, every form of media out there....and these two themes are:

A.) "Your world is hideously dangerous!!!": i.e. All the alarmist headlines day and night. "Do you have the Cancer gene??? If you do your %65 more likely to die of prostate or breast cancer!!! Film at 11!!" Every day products in your house that can KILL you...film at 11!!" "The 5 things you are doing that are shortening your life!!!" "Your child's car seat can kill them!" "The plastic containers you put your leftovers in can kill you! Film at 11!!" This is endless and specifically playing on the publics' fears just to garner ratings.

B.) You are helpless and it's not your fault: i.e. All the ways you are not responsible for all the bad things you are doing and all the bad things that we are bringing your attention to endlessly are not your fault, give in, let the government help you, protect you, moderate you, regulate you into safety. Fast food is going no transfatty acids, states are banning smoking, taking away choices, because it's NOT our fault, we are helpless we must be taken care of due to our bad genetic codes that force us to engage in these bad behaviors... this is the message. Let Big Brother become your "nanny". Depression's in your genes you can't help it, take this pill.

And I think the two go hand in hand.

I am not a fan of Michael Moore but I remember a part of Bowling for Columbine, where people studying news reports from the 50's up until the year that movie came out stated that there was something like a %500 increase in news about dangerous felony crimes, stories on violent acts, freak weather tragedies, reports on mass killings, cancer-causing products and chemicals, foods that poison us, etc etc.

It makes you wonder if this is just ratings generated or if there is some huge deep dark conspiracy, but it's definitely permeating society as a whole and not in a good way at all.

What a dangerous and catastrophic message this whole "it's not your fault due to your genes" is, I think it will shape whole generations to come in ways we can't even fathom yet.

Starred and flagged for such a thought provoking thread

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ezziboo

Yeah I realize that diseases and such can be passed down to you through your genes, but I highly doubt people's genetic makeup can cause people to smoke or drink or eat more, maybe in some cases they can. But we as a society need to just start taking responsibility for our actions and not feel so helpless to big brother.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Sky: re your last post: I AGREED with you and added a bit of science to it...am I right in thinking that what I wrote went right over your head?

You initiated a thread, ended up out of your depth, posted a one-liner (are moderators exempt from the rule?) and then you promptly vanished.

Please tell me what it takes to become an ATS forum moderator (besides the ability to type).

I'm off to have a cigarette...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join