It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Club 33, Disneyland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Years ago, late 80's, I used to work across the street from Disneyland, at a Robotics company. The Company had a membership card, that we could borrow from time to time. It gave us access to a Restaurant just off of Main Street ( I think, It's been so long). The place was very fancy, served alcohol, and high end meals (no churros or cheeseburgers on this menu).

Once we were done with lunch, we then had full access to the Park..So it made for VERY long lunches.

It was just a door, with the number 33 on it..You knocked, someone opened a little window in the door (like the old speakeasy style). You flashed the card, and they let you in.

Anyone else been there?
It literally dawned on me, minutes ago, that this might be something related to Masonry. At least in the beginning.
Link Provided at the bottom of this post.

Comments?

Club 33, Royal Street, New Orleans Square, Disneyland

The colorful realism and the precise architectural detail of New Orleans Square in Disneyland captures the atmosphere of the nineteenth- century New Orleans French Quarter. Glancing upwards to the second story balconies and the ornate iron railings hung with flowers, one would hardly guess that they surround the little-known but quite elegant Club 33.

Years ago, Walt Disney felt that a special place was needed where he could entertain visiting dignitaries and others in a quiet, serene atmosphere where superb cuisine and distinctive decor would complement one another. He asked artist Dorothea Redmond to provide watercolor renderings of what such a place might look like. Accompanied by renowned decorator Emil Kuri, Walt and his wife traveled to New Orleans to select many of the beautiful antiques that are on display. After years of planning, Club 33 became a reality in May of 1967. Sadly enough, it was never seen by its creator because of his untimely death five months earlier.

www.disneylandclub33.com...

[edit on 21-5-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Disney himself was not a Mason. The explanation I've heard is that 33 is, in fact, the street address of the building housing the restaurant. All the other shops are numbered as well, but they usually have names too.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've seen the 33... it's a little hard to spot, you really have to pay attention.
We were there a couple of years ago, and I was telling the wife all about the 33 Club, etc.

I also found the 33 at DisneyWorld in California, it's hidden also.

Cool stuff.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I remember how "special" they made you feel.
The service was outstanding. the food was great too.

I wonder why Ole Walt decided to have the club at this particular Address?
Was he a Mason wannabe? Or did he think it would add to the mystique.
Maybe just a coincidence?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

I wonder why Ole Walt decided to have the club at this particular Address?
Was he a Mason wannabe? Or did he think it would add to the mystique.
Maybe just a coincidence?

Probably coincidence. He had been in the DeMolay Society when he was a teenager, so if he'd wanted to become a Mason, he easily could have. Since he didn't, I would assume he didn't know or care about any similarities to Masonry.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Sadly, Walt passed away prior to it's completion and the club had no name.

When the park was opened, there was a select number of lessee's who were the major sponsors of Disneyland, so the designers of the club realized these were going to be the first initial members of the club.

33 leesee's where the first official members of the Club, thus, Club 33.

Disney was not a Mason, and Masonry does not have a copy right on the number 33. I would simply say it is a coinsidence that there where 33 leese holders to Disney Land and 33 degrees in Scottish Rite Freemasonry.

EDIT: turns out 33 is a number not a letter
.. and the link is actually and ironically the same as the OP's.

Click on Club 33's history and "where it got it's name" .. they also list all the various conspiracies and rumors about the name.

At the bottom of the page is a detailed list of all the major corporations that held lesses at Disneyland nad made the park possible. Like I said above, because of the 33 major lesse holders, the club was named in honor of them - club 33.

[edit on 5/21/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Thanks folks.
And here I thought I was onto something.
I just don't know enough about Masonry to have made an educated guess.

thanks a lot for the responses!

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
No prob Space. To be honest when I saw it at first I thought that the club was named in honor of a 33rd perhaps that did something Disney found note worthy. Or perhaps that Masonry was a major contributor to Disney's project. Turns out Kodak and Coca Cola had more to do with the club then any Mason! lol

Of course, we would have to find out the CEO's and owners of all those companies, I wouldn't be surprised given the time period if several of them where Freemasons. Maybe not 33rd's though.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Interesting,my brother is head of security for Disneyland in Anaheim,I'll ask him tonight see what he says

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I've eaten at Club 33 once.
When I was in highschool, I went to Disneyland with my girlfriends' family.
Her father was not a mason. He was an architect but a not too successful one. I don't remember how he got the reservation but he was not a member and it was given to him by someone else.

The door is out side of the exit to Pirates of the Carribean in New Orleans square in Anaheim's Disneyland. As you exit Pirates (near the entrance to the Blue Bayou Cafe), you hang a right and the second or third door has an oval shaped marker next to it with an ornate 33 on it.
There is a buzzer under the maker, like to get into a secure apartment complex. You give your name and reservation into the speaker and they buzz you in.

There is an old-fashioned cast-iron open-sided elevator, with a staircase going around it. We used the stairs.

Upstairs, the restaurant was a standard steak and chop house. It was very small, brightly lit, and most of the patrons were casually dressed for a day at the amusement park.

As I recall, the service was excellent. The food was good, but not great.

Fraternally,

dhlesq

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Thanks folks.
And here I thought I was onto something.
I just don't know enough about Masonry to have made an educated guess.

thanks a lot for the responses!

No need to give up that easily. Maybe one or two more digs will reveal that which was concealed.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Members only...

An attorney friend of mine in Los Angeles is a member; we have never found cause to dine there... Even during the weeks we dine out three or four nights together...

I guess if we ever work our way down to that level, we will...

Michelin Monkeys, not just for three stars anymore...

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
I guess if we ever work our way down to that level, we will...

Michelin Monkeys, not just for three stars anymore...
Ah, you meant down to that level in restaurant quality... I thought you were just dissing Anaheim, which is understandable.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I guess there is one,my brother said it was for snobs mostly,he said Club 55 is much better

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

What?
You palate is not comfortable with food delivered on a pallet?

I was there about 17 years ago, and it was WAY better than Denny's.
I wonder if the whole scheme has been downgraded a bit?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Well. if you had ever had the occasion to dine with me, you would know the answer to that...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I don't know some people think or say walt was a nazi! And in hitlers private army, 33 was significant number. but it not 33 its SS or two lightning bolt looking S's which they wore on patches on their sleeves which in masonic numbers SS stands for 33 hitler believed to be a skull and bones/mason member himself. So maybe 33 or club 33 was some sort of symbol of walts nazi lifestyle, significant to him.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by truthseeker816]

top topics

join