It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who coded ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Just wondering, who wrote the code for ATS? Is it the same php program used in the beginning and evolve, or is it an open source bulletin board system with modified changes?

I ask this because I study .com's

Any help would be appreciated.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It looks like it's Powered by AboveTop:Board v2.3. So I'd say a modified version?

If you want to look at the source just right click any page and choose "view page source"

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

Thanks! That is what I was thinking but abovetopboard sounds like it belongs to ATS or the Above Top Network. Meaning, that either they made heavy modifications to an existing open source software in which they could coin it as there own, or SO did it from scratch.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
to my best information they modified the XMB open source forum software... and now it's totally different than the original....

[edit on 18-5-2008 by LOYAL]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

Yea, I took a look at XMB site and man, they did a complete makeover. Thanks for the answer.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The actual warm human body that WROTE a good portion if not most of the code for ATS is non other than our own SkepticOverlord........he is the man to give you the real answers here, as most everyone else will just be guessing.

[edit on 18-5-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Yea, if someone could point him to this thread, I would appreciate it. Also, thanks for the replies so far.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I would also like to know if the code is for sale

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

I doubt it, but if your interested in a mother-in-law...

... we might be able to work a deal.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Could one buy into ATS?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Perhaps a bit off topic. Apologize in advance. But my uniblue picked up and removed a trojan last weekend. I run it every other day. My surfing of the net is lame. CNN, BBC, ATS, C2C among a few other mainstream sites. I never open any email I don't recognise. My thoughts is I may have picked it up clicking on a link. Is their a way to scan submittal links with a virus scanner. I am a cyber dummy. At 45 I only learned how to use a mouse in '96.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
Yea, I took a look at XMB site and man, they did a complete makeover.

Yes indeed.

About five years ago, back when the XMB code was not yet open source, we purchased the rights to the source code to make whatever changes we wanted. About 10% of the total code of ATS has some remnants of the old XMB legacy code (mostly in U2U's and other non-thread functions). The important code and data schema that stores and displays posts has been significantly modified for high-performance and high-traffic. And lots-and-lots of custom add-ons (like the flags and auto-generated site home page).

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

A very impressive job I might add. Your skill is apparent here, KUDO's!!

I dabble in html and asp but am so kindergarten, I laugh at myself.

Love the site btw.

p.s

In case you haven't notice I don't think I've logged off this site since I joined, he he.

[edit on 20/5/08 by Rhain]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I have not heard of one to date. But, you could have picked up one running flash on a site, viewing a virus ad (far few, but some are out there), or yes by clicking a link.

Just make sure when something pops up that says click yes or ok, then make sure you click no. Unless, you know of the site. But, if you don't know make sure you click no or cancel. I know alot of times it pops up saying accept or something like that but in essence it is just downloading something you don't want into your computer.

Example of what not to click, unless you know of it.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by jhill76]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

No thanks . . . one is enough for me

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
About five years ago, back when the XMB code was not yet open source, we purchased the rights to the source code to make whatever changes we wanted. About 10% of the total code of ATS has some remnants of the old XMB legacy code (mostly in U2U's and other non-thread functions). The important code and data schema that stores and displays posts has been significantly modified for high-performance and high-traffic. And lots-and-lots of custom add-ons (like the flags and auto-generated site home page).

So, does that mean it's nearly all yours then? And I'm assuming that means its you who owns the source code for the site now? I'm just curious as I can't see exactly where on the site it says that we can't reverse engineer the board code for our own purposes. Not that I intend to but it would be quite good if more forums looked like this one, all the other's I've been on look exactly the same.

Or is only the old 10% now open source?

Just wondering as I've taken an interest in free software lately and it just seems ironic if we're discussing governments taking our freedoms away while doing so over non free software.

Of course, it's understandable if it isn't as I highly doubt a high percentage of the members know how to code anyway so it would be a bit pointless.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by apex]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Looking at the HTML source, kinda reminds me when I used to code asp in notepad (as in there are no IDE headers or such and the items are indented), what is it you use to code in?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

Yes... I did the code (LAMP platform).

The "AboveTop:Board" code is so specialized and specific to ATS, there'd be no viable way to make it portable for any other boards other than those that might spring off ATS. We have a "devil's brew" of highly-optimized PHP that has been tweaked in a way that is specific to our modified data schema, with a slew of cron jobs that generate the HTML for semi-static content (like the site home, forum summary pages, thread sidebars, etc.).

Originally posted by spitefulgod
what is it you use to code in?

I'm 100% geek and on a Mac, so I hand-code in BBedit. In fact, I can look at a color and pretty much give you a very-close hexadecimal equivalent off the top of my head. Great fun at cocktail parties.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I'm 100% geek and on a Mac, so I hand-code in BBedit.

Best...editor....ever. Wish it were available on more platforms

Is there a doc about the specifics of the LAMP setup anywhere on the site? Or is it more of a secret?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Oh I see, it's a very customized version of what you started with. And the way you word it, would I be correct in assuming it's basically a lot of code that looks complex but fits together in a way that it only works for the site? In that case it's understandable, but it is a pity it couldn't go to others, it is a very good design.

I'm 100% geek and on a Mac, so I hand-code in BBedit.

You mean... You did all this from source just source code and no visual editing of the page with an IDE? That is impressive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join