It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad Psychics- Sylvia Browne

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Oh i just wish Hoodini were still around. I suppose we still have Randi trying his best to show up these frauds but the sad aprt is the ones who simply want to believe it. Or at the absolute worst, the emotionally vunerable who have recently been bereaved and want any hope they can find.

It truly sickens me to see these poor people grovelling at the feet of this woman and people like her, John Edwards also, that pathetic little man. They use peoples emotions, they say that they help give them closure, as if that's a good justification. The sad part is that it doesn't really do that, it just gives them incentive to keep paying her.

I wish it required a license to practice, a standardised test would have to be set up that isn't cheatable, by a true skeptic. If anyone can get through the test then hey, let them say what they want. If you can't pass it then well, practicing it should be illegal, becuase they're doing far more harm then good.

There is one part that seriously troubles me regarding the law, confidence trickery or "grifting" for monetary gain is illegal. Plain and simple it's illegal to get someone to hand over money under false pretenses. These people are using psychological techniques and claiming to be psychic, isn't that false pretenses? Isn't that a con game? How is it legal?

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
kudos I can't stand that woman she's seems to be so fake I trully loath her!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This abomination is either liquored up or on stimulants when in public showing. She is so full of it that it smells to high heaven. Any one who follows this has to have neural trauma from frequency weapons used by the cia/nsa.

The thing is a beast that looks to be sent by the dark side to confound the humans into wonderland.

I change the channel when she comes on. Pathetic!

And another thing about this thing, she has to many books out for something like her to be a prolific writer. she has to be using ghost writers

[edit on 18-5-2008 by Peepers]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Oh i just wish Hoodini were still around. I suppose we still have Randi
I wish it required a license to practice, a standardised test would have to be set up that isn't cheatable, by a true skeptic. If anyone can get through the test then hey, let them say what they want. If you can't pass it then well, practicing it should be illegal, becuase they're doing far more harm then good.

Yeah, but there are tests. A few posts ago I wrote about a woman on the bad psychics web site who applied for a phone psychics job and got it, (beating out 100 or so other applicants), despite not having any psychic ability. Her point was if she can do it, then anyone can..lol

Randi has done a few of thosestandardised tests, where psychics have failed repeatedly. He has even reproduced feats that the psychics have actually done, including performing psychic surgery, telekinesis and cold reading. Unfortunantly psychics and their deluded supporters claim that Randi's tests are biased and unfair.

If they were really psychic they wouldve seen that they were going to fail his tests wouldnt they?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Yes Silvia is a complete fraud along with all the rest of them, but even using the "shot-gunning" technique makes them right about some of what they say, not being psychic or anything.... Yeah John Edwards is another funny guy, if you wanna see a good show about the way they trick their audience watch South Park it's hilarious!.....

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
i remember about a year ago there was a report the she and her husband at the time were busted for fraud i think it was in the 80's.. she got off with probation and he went to jail..my mom and younger sister were big fans of hers.. as soon as i read the story i had to call and let them know..
. so the fraud things been with her for quite a while...
.. i'll see if i can dig up the story..

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
when my dad died of mesothelioma (the asbestos companies are all bankrupt, so my mother now pays his treatment off for him posthumously), Sylvia Browne books provided her much comfort, and that means the world to me.

yeah, it is obvious she is a fraud. but some of the stuff in a few of her books inspired some great thinking for me. it jarred me back into thinking for myself.

but she is certainly a money grubber and fraud. no doubt about that.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
its on a web site called stop sylviabrowne.com.. it was six counts of grand theft and investment fraud

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

dont get me wrong she does have an intelligent mind and can shed light on many subjects...and can be very soothing and comforting i'm glad at least u'r mom was able to get some comfort from her books..

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
OzWeatherman,

Thank you so much for posting a thread on this douchette Sylvia Browne. She is by far and away the creepiest woman on the planet!!! Her long fingernails, caked on makeup, and raspy five pack a day smokers voice makes me want to yak!

Montel Williams is also a frickin hump for allowing this rambling dolt on his show! I hate when every time this woman makes a pseudo prediction about one of the audience members Montel is like "Wow...right on...you go girl...shoot...thats just crazy..." It's like he's in total awe of this modern day charlatan.

It's funny when, on the rare occasion an audience member asks specifics from Sylvia, Montel is quick to interject and say something like "She just told you you had ten fingers, what more do you want from here?!?! Come on now..."

This woman should be absolutely ashamed of herself.
Then again, it's like P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
In my experience there are some psychics who are right on the money(accurate).One rule of thumb is they don't need to advertise,another is they have a long waiting list and a regular clientele.I detested Sylvia Brown after I saw her on Montel casually telling distraught parents their child was dead.How does she sleep at night?Well ,what goes around comes around as they say.As for Derek Acorah getting posessed?Do me a favour?It was more like a hilarious comedy act.If he got posessed then I'm Britney show my millions so I can kick K-Feds ass.Usually these frauds get their just desserts and get hoisted on their own petard.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I just found another of her predictions from her book - 'the other side and back'

'Breast cancer will become preventable and curable by the end of 1999'

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
She cold reads most of the time,everyone has some psychic ability some people are mediums BUT most of the time they cold read til they adjust the energy, as for Sylvia Brown, Ive heard her do readings and it is Soooo Cold reading,

A Woman once asked her on a phone in the name of her Spirit Guide and right away she said something random and FAST like "William" I mean seriously, if anyone WAS to do that they would have to tune into your energy not in 2seconds on a phone in costing buckets of cash, SHOCKING!

I am psychic (which is weird to me haha) but I would say not say I am attuned enough to read for others with confidence yet and would NEVER lie or cold read a person, thats just ego boosting and glory hunting or CASH hunting for them when they do it.

Recently saw a well known UK psychic who I thought wow this guys good as he read the audience, when got to me and people I was with Literally EVERYTHING he said was the opposite of the person, even down to saying they had been dead a long time, Well if 2weeks is a long time then WOW! but the specifics he was saying were Soooo off, yet the people with me were nodding and agreeing out of politeness but I think the expression on my face said it all to him as he got shakey and started stuttering and panicking making excuses that the energies werent quite with him and they spirit couldnt communicate properly.

I think most of the people making this crap happen are those that are either gullible and taking everything to be relevant or those being polite, now I AM a believer but also very skeptical as I would expect others to be If I was giving them a reading, but some Mediums take advantage and Sylvia Browne is shocking in that fact,
Medium abilities are a gift, to give a person comfort of heart and mind and pass those messages on SHOULDNT cost Hundreds of pounds/dollars, THAT is a HUGE con! disgusting, How can you charge for easing someones soul?

As for what the first post said, Despicable to say someone is dead how callous and cruel, insensitive and emotionally damaging, they should have sued her for stupidity

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Chris Angel and Derren Brown have publicly shown how cold reading is done using general things that at some point apply to everyone so shows how gullible people can be when in grief and grasping for answers.
#Living is easy with Eyes Closed!# But keep the ears open! cant believe the blatant tricks used these days!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

I can prove Acorah fakes a lot such as possession, he has psychic abilities but majority of what he did on Most Haunted he was TOLD to do for entertainment purposes, worked though look at the ratings, and I know for a fact certain aspects are faked, ive seen some on tv that other people hadnt noticed.
Such as Yvette breathing in someones ear LOUDLY and you saw it happen, THEN when asked if she heard that loud breath Yvette said *innocently* "No? Why what did you hear" Couldnt believe how blatant that was!!! and the throw stones issue on there, I worked on a ghosthunting thing with many people and what they do is film it and pretend stones are coming to them, when really its either camera man or person behind them, being dark and nightvision you cant see.
Still entertaining though if you are watching it for that reason alone.
Uri Geller is bl**dy hilarious too, ive seen him fake the spoon situations, I can bend a spoon, but not from my mind, cant believe how much money he raked in from it. He is a nice guy dont get me wrong, as is Acorah and Yvette, but I am not going to sugar coat my perceptions of his abilities because of that or anything I have mentioned, just saying it as I see it.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Yeah,Diamonds I think the cats out thebag completely with Most HAUNTED.I think they are under pressure to deliver some results in evry episode,whereas befor you'd get episodes where bugger all happened.It's getting jaded .They know it.They're going to have to think of more and more sensationalisitc things to please the audience such as Yvette trying to summon the devil in Turin.Nver mind it was good while it lasted.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Didnt know who this woman was, but just watched clips. I know Randi as I've seen him on quite a few programmes and he seems on the level to me.
Is he still offering $1 million to anyone who can display paranormal abilities under controlled conditions? If so, I may be in with a chance.
I've taken online psychic tests to show I am really, really crap, more than common chance can rationally explain.

Theoretically speaking, I could be the worlds greatest discovery

So ignoring Sylvia Browne, who IS a good psychic?

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Mark Roazhar]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I've taken the 'Have you been abducted test' and got a 'maybe'.On a personal on e to one level there are good psychics.The 'Gift'definately exists.But as for people in the media spotlight there are probably one or two at the most.I think David Wells may be kosher but I have'nt got anyhard evidence.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I really wish Randi hadn't been brought into this conversation...
He is every bit as "fake" as Sylvia, in the sense that he has ZERO intellectual honesty - the one thing that any serious thinker, let alone researcher, cannot do without.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I stand in agreement with everyone. Silvia Brown is a fake, a fraud, a charlitan, that, and, well, sorry but she's ugly as hell. Seriously, I bet she has to charge those high rates for her 'readings' just so she can bribe the hair/nail girls to do her! LOL...

People are lost today. They know something is 'off', 'wrong' with the way the world is, they can't put their finger on it [It couldn't be our gov't, they wouldn't lie to us (ROFLMAO)]. But unlike the folks I've read on ATS (soon BTS I just haven't dug thru those forums yet) we KNOW what is wrong with this world. We tell others what we've found, and we are doing what we can to change it. Not the 'sheeple' that follow people like Brown and Edwards. These are probley the same people that think new medicines are safe, believe the other lies out gov't tells us, and that our gov't has nothing but 'our best intrests at heart'.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join