It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan government set to split

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Pakistan government set to split

news.bbc.co.uk

Both sides were eager to avoid the appearance of a major rift, but analysts called the pull-out a huge set-back that could lead to growing instability.

The BBC's Barbara Plett in Islamabad says further cracks in the alliance may give a lease of life to pro-Musharraf parties which were defeated in recent elections.

However, he indicated that he would support the Pakistan People's Party-led government from the backbenches on an issue-by-issue basis. "We will not become part of any conspiracy to destabilise the democratic process," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Another development in this increasingly unstable and volatile region.

What is your take?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
And this disease of hate, discontent, disillusionment, etc... just keeps spreading. I think we all know where ALL of this is eventually heading...

I U2U'd LOYAL to get some input here, as [he] is in or near Lahore, Pakistan.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Thanks for the U2U... i was offline. therefore didn't notice this thread.

Well!!! this was very much predicted here i meant none of us here is surprised by that. Benzair Bhutto and Mushraff had officially declared to reach a deal..... therefore there is no way PPP Led Govt to mess with Mushraff, and her death was a major setback to Mushraff, on the other hand Nawaz is always deemed as rival to Mushraff since he ousted his Govt in a Military Coup back in 1999... and this guy Nawaz is really an idiot .... he rarely thinks before speaking or making any decision...

Overall, i don't see it would bring any major change to the country, since people are more worried about higher inflation rate and issues like that, only a bunch of freakin' lawyers would be on roads along with 'hired' political workers of some parties... and that's it..!!!

No one here is taking it as seriously as Western media might suggest!!!

[edit on 13-5-2008 by LOYAL]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

Thank you
That certainly does give quite a different outlook on this really affecting anything *too* much. Peace.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LOYAL

Thanks for the post, great to know the mood over there

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Pakistan Coalition Teeters Over Removing Musharraf (Update1)

``The country is on the brink of a social upheaval because of food prices and the fact that people are struggling to survive,'' said Ishtiaq Ahmed, a political scientist at Quaid-i- Azam University in Islamabad. The division ``strengthens the hand'' of Musharraf's camp, ``which keeps power through a strategy of divide and rule,'' Ahmed said.

The Peoples Party will leave unfilled eight positions previously held by Sharif's party while it tries to resolve the dispute, replacing only Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, another member of the Muslim League.
``This is the budget season and there are pressing economic issues that call for the effective presence of a full-time Minister for Finance,'' Pakistan Peoples Party spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.

With half of Pakistanis struggling to afford food, according to the World Food Program, the unraveling of the coalition may fuel social unrest. Musharraf's party lost the election in part because of soaring food costs. Every day, fights break out among people waiting to buy subsidized flour and other staples. The city of Multan erupted in riots April 14 over the nationwide electricity shortages that have shut factories and thrown laborers out of jobs.

``This is bad news for Pakistan because the country is facing problems too big for any single party to handle,'' said Talat Masood, a retired general and independent political consultant. ``For the Taliban, for the nationalist militants in Baluchistan, it's good'' because it narrows the government's political base, he said.

Just giving another take on this from another 'press' outlet. Is this the beginnings of a political 'mountain being made from a mole-hill' here, LOYAL... or does this mole-hill actually have the potential to grow quickly...?

It does convey, however, that your people are 'feeling it' from the food prices and inflation, as it seems most of the world is

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser
Just giving another take on this from another 'press' outlet. Is this the beginnings of a political 'mountain being made from a mole-hill' here, LOYAL... or does this mole-hill actually have the potential to grow quickly...?

People here are very much frustrated because of the growing inflation rate, food prices and gas prices in particular, therefore they are paying less attention to political issues at hand like Judiciary .... People here eventually get used to higher prices ... Because there is nothing else they can do, everyone knows Oil prices are soaring high along with rice prices are skyrocketing ..... People overall as i said are very very much frustrated they don't know how to cope with these food inflation... but i don't see if there would be any big crisis that could lead to disaster that is beyond Govt's control...!!!

new topics

top topics

join