It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this What You Believe In? (Quotes From The Bible)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
"Women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but should be submissive, as the law also says."(1 Corinthians 14:34)

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

"One of illegitimate birth shall not enter the congregation of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 23:2)

"Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ." (Ephesians 6:5)

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her." (Deuteronomy 22:28-29

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 )

is this truly what you believe???

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

Quotes need to be in the (context) of the message of the whole Bible.
Those who have received that message have a whole new view of everything. You certainly haven't seen that insight. I hope and pray that someday you do. Keep seeking.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Though I'm not a Christian I am getting a bit weary of threads that exist simply to rile up or bash the Christians that are members of this site. Personally I can agree with some of the anti-Christian sentiment, but most of the Christians on this site are actually really good, interesting people and I find it highly disrespectful to post something of this nature.

Considering you posted this in the Conspiracies in Religions forum, where exactly is the conspiracy?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
whats so disrespectful about this post???....im not bashing christians....(i do think christianity and every other organized religion is a load of bs) but this was in the bible wasnt it??? so how is it disrespectful?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

It is in fact in the bible, and though I don't agree with those passages it was written by men. Divinely inspired or not much of what was commonly believed about women, the society and the world by such men made it's way into the book. I don't believe I have ever met a Christian that subscribes to any of those particular beliefs.

The implied disdain for Christians and Christianity in the OP is what was disrespectful. If it wasn't your intention to bash Christians, or to demonize the religion I don't believe you would have posted it to begin with.

It has been a constant back and forth between Christians and atheists on this site lately, and it's getting a bit sickening. I just don't want to see another thread that exists to continue and unnecessary ATS feud. I'm not going to dwell on this or debate it all day..... but my opinion is that the your intentions in this thread are very disrespectful. You're probably a fine person, and I have nothing against you personally, but I do disagree with the nature and intention of this thread.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

I've been wanting to ask this for awhile, and it's offensive, Iknow, but let me ask it.
First off, I am Christian. I don't think the Bible should be taken literally, there is to much I think disagrees with a good and peaceful existance to believe so.
I want to know, if the Bible is not be taken literally, then how come the Earth is believed by several to be only a few thousand years old?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I'm not quite sure why one would believe that. My father does believe that the Earth is only about ten thousand years old based on his interpretation of the bible. Which I suppose if the Garden of Eden/Adam and Eve were shortly after the creation of the world, coupled with when we know civilization started to rear it's ugly head on the planet it would make sense that the entire planet/universe is still very young. It makes sense to me, and if I were a Christian I suppose I would probably believe the same thing as well. It's only logical.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I have no problem with these scriptures as long as they are taken in context with the surrounding scriptures, compared to other scripture, and understood according to the situation in that particular time frame.

Pulling verses out of the Bible without context acheives nothing but confusion.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
Though I'm not a Christian I am getting a bit weary of threads that exist simply to rile up or bash the Christians that are members of this site. of this nature.

Thank You,
I try to be subtle, but to be bashed over a over again becomes tiresome.
I wish the bashing would stop and diolog could begin.
WIS

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WalkInSilence

YW. I just don't understand the point of attempting to tear down someone else's belief structure whether one agrees with it or not. It just seems destructive. Frankly much of the bible contains great wisdom on how to live your life.... I just lack the most important qualification to being a Christian... I don't believe in God. I think everyone has the right to inner-peace and the faith in something greater than themselves, and those who are absolutely true to the essence of their religion, whatever that religion may be, have my utmost respect. I for one sure as hell won't let people trash other's beliefs so that they can get some twisted joy out of it.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I think the first thing to do is seperate the old and new testament stuff.
Then interpret the new testament stuff in parable when you come across the hacking off your hand stuff. You are smart enough to understand the message of that scripture, aren't you?
Literal interpretation is some dangerous stuff and turns people into either zealots or Atheists.
So far you haven't had anyone from the crazed Right jump this thread but it won't be long.
We, my type of Christians, focus on the teachings of Jesus. We aren't all about people going to hell. We are about serving, being humble, loving our wives and kids, our families, we are about tolerance, and about forgiveness. We apologize in our heads just moments after we give you the finger for cutting us off in traffic. We are flawed. We want and strive to be better. We are not anti-gay, nor anti-Muslim, we judge not less we be judged. We look for reasons and ways to love and try and struggle each day not to hate.
You will find "Christian's" that say something different and they will be showing up real soon I imagine. If it ain't Love, it ain't Christian.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Right on. You rock Res Ipsa.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Ok... so you have kinda taken those verses out of context there.

Deuteronomy is an old testiment book - the rules of that kinda dont apply anymore - although the old testiment is full of great things to keep in mind some of those things you mentioned are not.

Corinthians and Ephesians are books written to those churches by Paul - you just need to remember when reading them that the things in them are ment for that church and whats going on there.

Not to sure what you are getting at in luke.

For mark you need to relise that thats not ment literaly (as RuneSpider pointed out). I think its about how you should disconnect yourself from the things that are keeping you away from God - not about cutting hands off.

-fm

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

To me, it's more logical that humans have a hard time understanding time, much like how people worry about ten year weather patterns signaling the end times. People have already forgotten most of the early 1900s,ask anyone about times earlier than that only specific dates stick out. The further back you go, the harder it is for people to believe. Believe we were there at the beginning is a belief I understand, but do not aggree with.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

You do bring up a good point, the perspective of time could certainly play a role. I think most likely humans can't understand the difference between the passage of time in relation to god. Maybe what God would consider a day would be hundreds of thousands to millions of years. I do, however think that if I were still Christian I would take at least some of the more important features of Genesis to be literal fact. I dunno, but good point nonetheless.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her." (Deuteronomy 22:28-29"

That's out of context, but lets put it this way. THAT rule, right there, is STILL better than what we do now.

If someone rapes someone now, they go to jail and are taken care of for a few years (given a place to work out, play basketball, read, make connections, YOU KNOW? become stronger and smarter criminals!), pay no fine, are not committed to any kind of service (like marriage) and when they return to society they rape someone else.

That's working great!

I bet you that a sane person would be less likely to rape someone if the old rule was still in place.

BTW, the 50 pieces of silver in biblical times is equivalent to $1,583 American dollars today. For anyone curious, JC was sold out for less than a grand. Somewhere around $980 dollars

Despite that fact that your quoting things out of context, all of the things u quoted are really not that bad at all compared to the way we do things now. Look around you.

[edit on 5/9/2008 by JPhish]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
i wasnt trying to "attack" christians, i think people have the right believe what they want to, even if what they believe in doesnt coincide with what i believe in...and i do have my opinions on religion and the bible so i was just trying to make a point, by pointing out some not so humane quotes from the bible.....

oh and im not an athiest, to me an atheist is just as closed minded as a theist because they both make outstanding claims without any proof....the same way that a theist cant prove that god exists, an atheist cant prove he doesnt...so im agnostic

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Well first off let me just say, "long time lurker, first time poster". Secondly, I also consider myself a Christian, I follow the bible, I belong to a Methodist Church, etc. But I do disagree with things in the bible, and contradictions that are made between the old and new testaments. But besides that, I'd just like to add that I heard one of the most profound things a Pastor, or man of the cloth could say a few nights ago on Coast to Coast AM. (Which I listen to when I get a chance.)

This pastor said, "Yes I believe in the biblical term that the earth is only a few thousand years old, but the book of Genesis says to go out and re-populate the earth. You don't re-populate unless something was already populated." I thought this was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard. So, just something to think about...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. What you need to understand is that ATS is a virtual tinderbox of religious angst anymore, and to start a thread such as this, in manner in which you started it really does nothing but stir things up. It seems very negative in nature, especially since those who read the bible are already aware of these passages, and most have disregarded them because they are antiquated. Specifically mentioning them in a manner that seems to condemn the religion seems a bit crass, and disrespectful. Perhaps if you were to add more of your personal feelings in the original post your intention might not be so easily lost.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverycke

Welcome to ATS. I don't recall the "re-populate" part of genesis.... but I will certainly look into it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join