It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open War in Lebanon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Open War in Lebanon

www.cnn.com

BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- Gunfire broke out in downtown Beirut Thursday after Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said recent government actions amount to "a declaration of open war."
art.tires.afp.gi.jpg

Government loyalists add tires to a burning barricade Thursday outside Beirut, Lebanon.

"Just in the past few minutes ... things have gotten a lot worse," CNN's Cal Perry reported from downtown Beirut. The sound of automatic gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades could be heard throughout his live reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It looks the powder keg that is the middle east is might be getting even more explosive very soon. I think this needs to be watched very closely

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
As much as it comes a shock to us, Hezbollah has been silently brooding in the wind for a long time and now their about to erupt. They have garnered 60% of seats in parliament and have a lot of popular support from Lebanon's middle and lower, working classes.

The fact is after Hariri was assassinated things have been the same in Lebanon. Too many foreign powers have jammed their noses in, the Israelis, the Syrians, the Iranians, probably even the US (covertly albeit).
This makes for a sh*tstorm of epic proportions.

I could see a civil war erupting from this quite easily. It could be like 1985 all over again. The Lebanese want a government that represents Lebanon finally, not one just representing the Christians, the Maronites, the Sunnis, etc...

Israel's 2006 invasion helped curb ethnic tensions because everyone's aggression was focused on the Israelis but now they're simmering again.
Lebanon is a melting pot of cultures and peoples, they need a government that can understand their diverse needs/beliefs and they need less foreign intrusion, all that does is strengthen one sect over the others and bam! suddenly they're in charge.
It turns into vicious cycle of "who dares wins", and in the end the Lebanese people get screwed over again.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I saw this on the front page of my yahoo news as I opened just now, thanks for the thread, I will be watching to see how this unfolds.

Why on earth with everything going on would they do this? Could they have been set up? Like a pre-emptive strike to make it 'look' like the opposite?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think we may draw the parallel here to the "civil war" in palestine of Hamas vs Fatah.

This is merely the voice of extremism in the form of Hezbollah taking over another country.
It is a sad day for Lebanon. I hope that the land of the holy cedars can resolve their internal strife and come out the other side a better, more coherent nation.

Actually, I think this was semi-expected ever since the assassination of Rafik Hariri- it was only a matter of time before the flashpoint was reached and the situation ignited.

I doubt this has more broad reaching concerns for the time being. Other nations have no reason to get involved in this conflict at the moment. Perhaps if Hezbollah take control and put Lebanon on a war footing, then there may be more wide ranging concerns for regional stability.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Yo dood I'm there with you it's divide and rule time in the ME. The Brits came up with the idea. We carved up the ME along with Franece and the United States of America. Let them fight it out in the joke entities called the pal areas. Take out Iran the main pillar within The Axis of Evil by all means at our disposal before Israel does it. The Israelis haven't got our tools to do the job properly. If they don't do it properly then Iran may strike back. We better do it properly, we have the tools at our disposal to finish off this Iranian lot for a couple of decades/centuries and eliminate the threat properly. Mr Ourmaninadinnerjacket supplies the Iranian proxies in Lebanon a once peaceful nation. Finish Hisbollah then finish Hamas and you are left with one big problem....Iran.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I just wonder why do Sunni always have to get played into the tricks of Western forces, and at the end of the day they are big loser like Saddam.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Rather incredible- thats not what I said at all!

I want non-interference from all other countries so that Lebanon can sort out their own internal power struggle.

Where did you get divide and conquer from?!

Also, this only moderately links to Iran by the funds they give to Hezbollah.

Man, I've never seen one of my posts so misinterpreted!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinadetta

what has the leboenese goverment (the ones back by europe) done for their country? when they were being bombed back to the stone age, while their people were being slaughterd by the masses by Israeli air strikes?

open war?
this country is devided more then ever
one side that will defend them at all costs and the other which will do the way of the ostrage and put its head in the sand

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
They have garnered 60% of seats in parliament and have a lot of popular support from Lebanon's middle and lower, working classes.

Where are you getting that figure from. The last election (2005) Hezbollah garnered 14 out of 128 seats. From my math that is 10.9%. Don't make it sound as if they are the majority party in Lebanon, they are not. If not for Iran's moneybags, Hezbollah would be two bit players. Hezbollah is almost exclusively a Shia party.

Research a little more ok?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

posted once again from a closed thread.

keep spouting off the company rhetoric, do you personaly have something at stake in a war of hezzbolah vs lebanon? i mean seriously what has iran done to deserve being considerd "the main pillar in the axis of evil" and i dont want goverment propaganda or biased mainstream sources that mistranslate what they have said none of this wipe isreal off the map bull either. is Ahmadinejad a good guy? no certainly not. but he isent some evil monster out to destroy the westren world. and even if he was how could he irans military is compleate crap comparaed to the us or the british. by the way qouteing gw bush the master of terror himself wont get you much back up.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by Vinadetta

what has the leboenese goverment (the ones back by europe) done for their country? when they were being bombed back to the stone age, while their people were being slaughterd by the masses by Israeli air strikes?

open war?
this country is devided more then ever
one side that will defend them at all costs and the other which will do the way of the ostrage and put its head in the sand

What did Arafat ever do to his people? He raped little boys and stole many millions of dollars that were supposed to go to the Palestinian people. Yes, his security men have confessed of many little boys they delivered into his evil hands. Just because somebody is from the region, does not mean they are there to help their neighbors.

I seriously doubt Hezbollah is the concerned, humanitarian organization they make themselves out to be. They are brutally taking advantage of people. Hezbollah is an intruder into Lebanese politics. They should leave for the same reason that the US should leave Iraq. For the same reason that ALL THE INSURGENTS SHOULD LEAVE IRAQ AS WELL.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by krill
[ i mean seriously what has iran done to deserve being considerd "the main pillar in the axis of evil" and i dont want goverment propaganda or biased mainstream sources that mistranslate what they have said none of this wipe isreal off the map bull either.

I'm not defending the other guys comments mind you. However Iran is the primary financier and mentor of both Hezbollah and Hamas. Hezbollah would not exist save for Iran's Revolutionary Guards. They are poking around in Afghanistan and Iraq and causing further problems there. Their work in those areas can hardly be called constructive.

Add on top of it their nuclear ambitions and their hiding of it in the past and their current stonewalling. It's pretty obvious that they are assembling all the necessary pieces to join the nuclear weapon club. They are researching Long range ballistic missiles, have gathered up plans for a nuclear warhead that will fit on them and are starting an enrichment process that will give them the ability to manufacture weapons grade material shortly. You add that up and tell me what they are planning to do?

As for the President of Iran's numerous comments about the destruction/end of Israel, do you honestly think he is not working towards that stated goal of his? How many times does he need to be "misquoted" till you realize that he really does think in his mind that he is hastening the return of his religious leader? Even clerics in Iran are starting to voice concerns over some of his comments, that should give your pause.

The Govt.of Iran remains one of the most pressing concerns to the U.S. and the West. It is pretty clear we are heading towards more, not less confrontations with Iran. I bet that Iran will be one of the defining Debate topics of the upcoming U.S. Presidential Season.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by pavil]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
An update

Hezbollah gunmen seize control of Beirut neighborhoods
news.yahoo.com...

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Shiite Hezbollah gunmen seized nearly all of the Lebanese capital's Muslim sector from Sunni foes loyal to the U.S.-backed government on Friday in the country's worst sectarian clashes since the 15-year civil war.

The situation is getting worse.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
ok first you conviently forgot to qoute me saying "is he a good guy? no certainly not" i dident say that irans leader is a good guy and in the right i was saying hes not done any overt act to be worthy of the comparison to hitler. axis of evil? comeon!. as for iran wanting nukes good for them, the us , russia, india, china, noth korea, isreal, pakistan all have nukes if he wants them i dont see why he shouldent pursue it . if he uses them it will be a suicide move and iran will be turned in to a radiated parking lot .same as any of the other nuke nations. and as for him wanting to get rid of isreal . i cant realy care less do i hate isreal? no. do i care if they live or die? no. its of no concern to me. but the "whipe isreal off the map " remark was mistranslated. hes a holocaust denier and a religouse fanatic. so once again is he a good guy? no , is he comprable to hitler? not even close.

edited for many spelling mistakes and typos.
[edit on 5/9/2008 by krill]

[edit on 5/9/2008 by krill]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

I didn't forget it, I chose to focus on another part of your response. You are the one equating Iran with Nazi Germany with the Axis remark. It (AOE) was meant to distinguish those nations that have other bad people gravitating around them. North Korea is a major ballistic missile exporter and now a Nuclear Technology spreading country (See Syria). Iraq was a country that had developed Chemical, biological and Nuclear programs in the past and was judged by multiple countries to have been reconstituting them. Iran as was previously state is a major sponsor of Hamas and Hezbollah and has been one of the main supporters of radical Groups in the Middle East.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Hey Mike I just heard from a source that the 10th and 13th Syrian armored divisions just moved into southern Lebanon north of the Litani river or right on the small border area. The source claims that the IDF is watching them move.

If this is true then Bush has to give Israel the green light to do what ever they want and then we must spank Iran no? Iran needs to be taught a lesson as they have gotten away with to to much. Same goes for Syria not heeding our warnings.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Israel already has that green light from America.

What has Iran gotten away with? Aside from daring to infringe on the global supply of Oxygen by *gasp!* breathing?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
ok first i wasent the first one to bring that up "Take out Iran the main pillar within The Axis of Evil by all means at our disposal before Israel does it.--ufoorbhunter" you know the post i was replying to ? any way as for them supporting hezzbullah and hamas their a soverign nation and can support who ever they want. the cia created alqaida does that mean that we should be attacked? well it can be argued both ways. as for northkorea supposedly spreading nuke tech to syria. i have yet to see solid proof of that besides blurry pix of buildings that could house anything. do you belive everything the goverment and msm puts out? as for iraq and wmds, from what info ive seen while researching it we sold him most of his arsenal of chem and bio weapons. isent it funny that once we got there they were all gone? hmm maybe someone dosent want those weapons looked at to closely considering youd then know who created them.

[edit on 5/10/2008 by krill]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Sky Watcher, can you be more specific on your, "source?" Is this a source in a position to know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join