It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 DEAD in Myanmar!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

100,000 DEAD in Myanmar!

www.cnn.com

YANGON, Myanmar (CNN) -- The death toll from the cyclone that ravaged the Irrawaddy delta in Myanmar may exceed 100,000, the senior U.S. diplomat in the military-ruled country said Wednesday.

"The information we are receiving indicates over 100,000 deaths," the U.S. Charge D'Affaires in Yangon, Shari Villarosa, said on a conference call.

The U.S. figure is almost five times more than the 22,000 the Myanmar government has estimated.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Fixed quotes.

[edit on 5/7/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Insane, 100k dead.

So far Myanmar has not let any one in the country, the UN fears that the Junta fears if they let us in, we will dispose of the regime.

The US has offered a mere 3.4 million dollars and naval ships. Also 6 hellios with supplies to reach the Delta region.

The numbers went from 10k to 22k to 100k. Amazing.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I got a question not exactly related to the deaths or the refusal of offered help or anything but about Myanmar.

Why is it that last Fall when they were gunning down monks in the street the news everywhere referred to it as Burma but now when the news mentions this cyclone it's Myanmar?

Am I missing something, they're the same place, right?

When they gun down monks we deny the military government their desire to be called Myanmar but when they suffer of a natural disaster we get all nicey-nice and start calling them what they want to be called?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Crazy! Remember the 2004 Tsunami? Didn't those estimates start out at 20,000 and then hit 300,000? In contrast, when the towers fell, people estimates 15,000 deaths, however it was reduced to around 3,000.

See what happens when there is a warning system in place for "Some" people?

God be with that region, however throughout history, many major events have caused more to perish. I believe in ancient china during one flood, almost 500,000 people died. We really need to get our cities away from the oceans and seas. Imho, of course.

AAC

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Myanmar is formerly Burma. The United Nations officially recognized the name change. The United States did not, for the simple reason that it did not recognize the military that instituted the name change.

Popular use is still inconsistent. My guess is that the Associated Press is recieving updates from the Myanmar government and feels obliged to use the newer name.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Yeh. When the numbers of dead started to jump so dramatically, I got the impression this was going to be another mega disaster. The storm surge of a hurricane can be likened to a tsunami of sorts. The super low pressure of the eye builds a big hump of water beneath it, and when it comes onshore, the water comes with it.

According to a report by the Agence-France Presse, Myanmar's social welfare minister, Maung Maung Swe, told reporters on May 5 that 95 percent of the homes in Bogalay had been destroyed. Bogalay has a population of 190,000. The destruction of lives and property was blamed on the 12 foot (3.6 meter) high storm surge that accompanied Cyclone Nargis.

The Associated Press reports that satellite maps provided by the United Nations show that the storm's damage was concentrated over an area of about 11,580 square miles (30,000 square-kilometers) stretching along the Andaman Sea and Gulf of Martaban coastlines. That stretch is home to nearly a quarter of Myanmar's 57 million people.

source

That's a 12 foot high wall of water, with a 12 mile crest (the width of the eye), 12 miles thick, coming onshore. With the population figures noted above, the death toll could well go a lot higher before its all said and done.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
for me, the only part that's sad is that the government didn't tell it's people about what was coming, or try and do anything to get people outta the way..

aside from that.. this has and will continue to happen.. they live in an area thats prone to certain things, it happens.. grass huts aren't good protection from 120mph winds.

but yeah.. damn... 100,000... too much.... but it will get worse as other things start to set in.
and as for the ruling military gov, what are they gonna have left to rule after this? not a whole lot.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

It's the same place, when the Military Junta took over, they changed the name.

In America, we are not supposed to like the Junta, so we call the country by the name it's rebels give it - Burma. However, it is officially Myanmar. When discussing Myanmar without revolutionaries and so forth, it's just Myanmar.

However, it could be we are calling it Myanmar now because the Junta is refusing Visa's to aid workers, thus the government of Myanmar gets a bad name, not the Government of Burma.

Tricky politics. Works quite well.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Those poor people do not deserve the natural calamity that has befallen them. I sure hope that the support pours in to help them. Now is the time for governments to ignore politics and focus on the victims.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is all over the news right now. All the channels.

How often is there a "SUPER" storm that does this kind of damage?? This is really sad, 100k is HUGE numbers!!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
If the biggest concern right now is getting fresh water to them, and protecting them from diseases like Malaria - mosquito's - which will explode with so much standing water..

Coupled with the fact the Junta has refused Visa for OVER A WEEK!!!! ...

The death toll from political ignorance has probably already accounted for half the deaths! And that is the part that infuriates me..

The government is their only source of hope, they put their trust into their hands and where betrayed.

They could clear the streets of the capital so that businesses could resume but they couldn't have the Junta drive water to isolated villages.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Wow the numbers are staggering, and I have a feeling its about to get much worse. As people try to survive without proper supplies of water and health care, many more may not make it though the week. All in all a horrendous situation, I am sending my prayers..

My 2 cent's worth

Dredz

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Is this Really the same place that the problems arised against the Tibetan Monks just weeks ago?

Honestly, this is just the most amazing situation. If it is so, then China had BETTER stop tearing down the heritage and see this as a direct sign to concede and free Tibet.

If they report 100,000 perhaps they have done something like set off an atomic or biological against their own people the Tibetans? Blame the cyclone! I thought they could 'Control" the weather ?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
was this really a 'super storm'? or was it the way the citizens built their houses that caused the large amount of deaths? When I saw the reports on tv, it looks like their homes were not made to survive a cyclone/hurricane.

(they are the same, aren't they>?)

Tela

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
WHOA hold on here Antar...

Burma - Myanmar lies to the East of India off the Gulf of Bangal.

China has nothing to do with Burma (officially) .. and Burma is pretty far away from Tibet.

Myanmar is it's own country, and the riots where about 9 months ago to a year ago. The ones a few weeks ago where in Tibet, which has not and will never see a cyclone.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Oh good I was ready to freak, still any country big or small that closes its doors during a disaster of this proportion has something to hide.
It sounded like the MO of the Chinese.

What of the Americans and such on visit to Burma? Will their families be able to know if they survived without the Red Cross and other qualified agencies going in to organize and structure aid and People to families?

Sorry I freaked there...Still something horrible just happened to far too many of our fellow earthlings, this is tragic beyond belief.

Here is a Picture of monks clearing Debris from blocked roadways in Myanmar:

From LA times:

www.latimes.com...

[edit on 7-5-2008 by antar]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The US has offered a mere 3.4 million dollars and naval ships. Also 6 hellios with supplies to reach the Delta region.

You make it sound like a bad thing. How much have you offered the folks there?

Who says the US has to offer anything in the first place?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Don't let your ATS "Mood" get in the way of your reason. You just lashed out on a speculation.

Get happy.

AAC

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

A mere? Really? How much do you feel is enough? That is a lot of money and supplies for that region. The US doesnt have to give anything.

Plus, I thought everyone wanted the US to butt out of other countries business. Eh.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is staggering. I cannot comprehend the impact...all those people. Please send at least prayers to the region for all those affected. Thank you ATS'ers here for bringing up this very important issue. I hope aid is permitted, comes quickly and saves all it can.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join