It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Is on US Terrorist Watch Lists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Mandela Is on US Terrorist Watch Lists

news.aol.com

(May 1) - Nobel Peace Prize winner and international symbol of freedom Nelson Mandela is flagged on U.S. terrorist watch lists and needs special permission to visit the USA. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice calls the situation "embarrassing," and some members of Congress vow to fix it.

The requirement applies to former South African leader Mandela and other members of South Africa's governing African National Congress (ANC), the once-banned anti-Apartheid organization. In the 1970s and '80s, the ANC was officially designated a terrorist group by the country's ruling white minority. Other countries, including the United States, followed suit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me in the least. There have been reports suggesting that over a million names are on the US Terror Watch List and we know what happened to Cat Stevens when he tried to board a plane to the US.

Nelson Mandela was indeed a terrorist to the South African Government of the day, but for him to still be listed as a terrorist shows that there's a big divide between what this administration says publicly and what it does privately.

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

This doesn't suprise me in the least either...Because Mandela stands for everything these maniacs do not---The HOPE FOR PEACE..Peace = loss of profits and power for these war and death profiteering animals.

Anyone who thinks differently or speaks out against their atrocities can rest assured they are on a terrorist watch list...I know I'm probably on about a few thousand of them by now. lol

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
They didn`t stop him from visiting the USA when he was president of SA now did they

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
who would have though really

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It seems like there's more to this story than just a clerical error and failure to update the list. They have actually denied applications for entry as recently as last year - for a person that was an ambassador to the US.

When ANC members apply for visas to the USA, they are flagged for questioning and need a waiver to be allowed in the country. In 2002, former ANC chairman Tokyo Sexwale was denied a visa. In 2007, Barbara Masekela, South Africa's ambassador to the United States from 2002 to 2006, was denied a visa to visit her ailing cousin and didn't get a waiver until after the cousin had died, Berman's legislation says.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I didn't realize there was already a thread on this open. Apparently budski opened one as well. Here's my response from the other thread:

Originally posted by biggie smalls
reply to post by budski

Apparently a Peace Prize winner is a terrorist. Right, that makes sense. I guess Einstein and Edison were also terrorists. Damn inventors.

Remember to take everything the US government says with a grain of salt, well many grains of salt. Mandela fought apartheid. As someone said above, that scared the crap out of white people. He has a power to reach the masses unlike many these days. Bushie manipulated the American people for a while, but we soon realized we were taken for fools in another "holy war."

He was considered a terrorist by the South African apartheid government, but maybe for good reason. He was part of the African National Congress and possibly involved with the militant wing. The word "terrorist" from the government's standpoint is anyone changing the way they operate. My definition of terrorist is anyone who creates fear in the people, whether through violence (threat or real) or propaganda.

One could call the US government terrorists in their own country as well as the world. How many dictators have we installed? How many acts of terrorism have we been a part of? How many regimes have we overthrown? The list is endless. We claim to be protecting national security, when in the end its all about our "interests" or business opportunities. The US government is in fact a corporation out to gain profit for its shareholders in the Federal Reserve.

Gandhi was also considered a terrorist by the British Raj. While both these men were peaceful, some of their followers were not. I would not call them terrorists personally, but one can see how a government would call them that.

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

[edit on 5/2/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
The US government is in fact a corporation out to gain profit for its shareholders in the Federal Reserve.

I've come to realize that this is the simple truth of the matter and the people are nothing more than a commodity, to be traded at the government's whim. It's not hard to see why they'd want to keep out anyone with a history of changing the status quo.

new topics

top topics

join