It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a real life picture?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I was wondering if this is real, CG, real and CG combines, or a toy model? Wikipedia claims that it is real and that the pic was taken by a Navy photographer, but it just doesn't look right. The pebbles on the ground are the same size as you look across to the plane. Shouldn't the ones farther out look significantly smaller than those up close?

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Looks like a screenshot from a video game to me

errmm, not really a one liner, honest

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I'll agree, it looks fairly fake, though I can imagine how a shot like that would be taken. That said, it's also wikipedia. It could be a fake someones trying to pass off as real.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Everything looks so clear, except the pebbles up front and the people. The plane looks clear everywhere, but the people look blurry. Their not even moving that much. Look at the person in the middle, the one that looks like a sumo wrestler, he looks like he's just standing there, yet he looks so blurry.
It doesnt look like a real picture to me.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza
I was wondering if this is real, CG, real and CG combines, or a toy model? Wikipedia claims that it is real and that the pic was taken by a Navy photographer, but it just doesn't look right. The pebbles on the ground are the same size as you look across to the plane. Shouldn't the ones farther out look significantly smaller than those up close?

upload.wikimedia.org...

That's tough. If it's a real picture it's a posed photo and the guy told the marines to sit tight for a few seconds, that would explain why they are only somewhat blurry. There is also exterior lighting (looks somewhat bright judging by the cockpit reflection). The sun appears on the horizon. I'm not photo expert, so I'd say inconclusive. There are a lot of high definition pictures out there that are pretty sharp and "look" fake.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Impreza

I'm not a photograph expert but maybe the picture was taken with a long exposure or whatever its called. And thats why the soldiers look kinda blurry.

But then again It's a guess

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Its real.

If you had done a bit more research you would see that the image came from this page (Clicky)

they also like to take shots from that angle as can be seen in numerous shots like this one (Clicky)

Here is the original image Clicky

And just to add the image notes:

"Crew members refuel an A V-22 Osprey before a night mission in central Iraq, Feb. 2, 2008. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Petty Officer Joe Kane"

Hope that clears it all up

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Pretty sure it's CGI.

I can give you tons of CGI pictures that most people think are real.

jra

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
It looks real to me. It's just a long exposure taken at night. That's why the people are blurry (due to moving while the shutter was open). Plus the links freakyclown posted show that this is indeed real.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It's clearly a real photo. I have taken photos that give about the same effect. It is, as mentioned earlier, probably shot with a shutter time of 10 seconds or longer from a tripod or something. The plane (apart from the rotors) is all still, while the people might be moving just a wee bit. Even the slightest movement would cause them to blur out with such a long shutter time. The reason it looks so CGI-like is the amount of light the film or sensor is exposed to as a result of the long shutter time. With a good camera/lens you can get some really insane colorful and almost unnatural-looking shots like this.

It is probably also shot with a wide-angel lens pretty close up, so there is not a whole lot of distance between the pebbles right in-front of the camera and the pebbles at the far side near the plane.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by me_ofef_seraph]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
it looks so fake . . . the only thing that inclines me to agree that it's real, is the randomness of the rocks.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
It's real, as freakyclown, jra and others have mentioned. The image was taken on Feb. 2, '08 using a Sony DSC-R1 with a 10 second exposure time.

Pretty cool shot, too.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It looks like a HDR photo to me,
High Dynamic Range

A composite of many long exposure through serious high quality digi cams.

HDr = amazing High Def photos.

Check this HDR/normal digi comparison:

www.oreillynet.com...

Hdr on the left obviously...

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It does look fake, but then again i'm no expert whatsoever. Would the long exposure as some have stated also explain the stars showing up?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
How can people be so stupid?

CGI? It's a long exposure. *snip*

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Impreza

having an extensive photography background. It looks real to me, the process was mor ethan likely a process called HDR photography, (high dynamic range) it basically is a shot shooting separate pics for various exposures on a tripod, so one exposure would be for the highlight areas, one would be for the dark areas and so on sometimes up to 7 exposures, then in photoshop you can merge the exposure giving it the surreal color and wide exposure range.
The pebble issue is due to the lens more than likely, it appears to be a very wide lens, and the wider the lens, the camera was fairly close to the helicopter creating a strange distance relationship. The people are blurry due to a longer exposure for the low light condition, as well as the spinning blades.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Seriously this thread should have finished after I posted my last link....please people stop with the "i think its fake/i think its cgi/i think its real"....the question has been answered....end of.. please move on! let go... go on its easy and cathartic sometimes things have nice easy answers and not everything is fake.

Take 30 seconds to read each post - specially those that prove things (not just this thread).

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Alright, I'd like to thank Freakyclown for the links proving that this is a real photo, your help is much appreciated.

Also, thank you to ringing for the lovely explanation regarding the development of the photograph.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
No problem, I was happy enough to do some leg work and show that not everything on ATS is fake!

Besides I liked the gallery I linked too, some awesome shots in there.

flags to those that deserve it (and boy do i wish i could give negative ones to some!)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
It is a fantastic picture i have to say, would make a cool poster for some kids wall, im gonna go buy me one of those cameras.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join