It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if one gallon regular would put ya down $10?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I came across a treat called Beer now cheaper than gas. Unfortunately there is no option to react on it, so I start this one instead.

I couldn’t help wondering what America considers expansive for gasoline. I came across this site and I think US citizens ought to consider yourself utterly lucky with those prices.

Over here (That’s Holland) our litre of regular (euro95) fluid-highway costs one euro fifty. That’s in USD ehm chuckle, I dunno. two and a half? That’s for just one litre that is. So a gallon would cost me what 6.60 euro? That’ll be 10.40 USD for a gallon.

Now you know why we drive those snug little Spanish dinky toys over here.

Fuel prices Holland
euro-dollar conversion
litre-gallon conversion

So here's the not so far fetched question: What if one gallon of regular would put ya down $10?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Then it would be time to get back to making moon shine and fueling the car with it. Hey why not. Its cheaper and it will work.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
With any luck, it'll promote more logical uses of power in our forms of transport. Such as solar as well as the many energy generating forces on a traditional car. The rotation of the tires, friction of brakes etc. Some of these technologies already exist in limited part, but they'll certainly become more mainstream.

Steam power from water was always useful in the old days, why not today?

So many alternatives exist and more are being created all the time, we'll finally make use of them when the price for good ole petrol hits crazy digits like $10.
I foresee many things coming around again from the past when we had to be more creative to get around.

However, this is only if the world maintains some civility. Which of course is in limited supply these days. Unfortunately, I'm thinkin more along the lines that the pursuit of cheap fuel creating a war scarred planet will leave us with little need for the same form of travel that exists today. People will be partnered in local communities for both work and home. Those that wish to thrive and succeed when common world wide transport becomes quite limited will have no choice but to contribute to society.

ya never know...

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Friday night, on the way home from work I got to thinking about what I could do when the price of gas gets too high to be worth my money. I live at the oposite side of the city where I work. The only solution I have is move near work so I can walk a few blocks instead of driving.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think I would name my new horse - Trigger

Cowboy Up!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

ATS MIX is a RADIO SHOW..... you REACT by calling the toll free number.

Dave

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by hildar
Then it would be time to get back to making moon shine and fueling the car with it. Hey why not. Its cheaper and it will work.

Hilda

Polishing the moon. Now that’s a creative way to get around with a solar panel powered vehicle at night. So that’s the reason NASA plans to return to the moon for about ten years? I knew there was more to it. Great find!

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey With any luck, it'll promote more logical uses of power in our forms of transport. Such as solar as well as the many energy generating forces on a traditional car. The rotation of the tires, friction of brakes etc. Some of these technologies already exist in limited part, but they'll certainly become more mainstream.

When the fuel is getting expansive, the people with little purses, such as myself, are looking for ways to get around cheaper. This means maybe to purchase a car for economical reasons rather than purchasing an ego boost. This trend is now some time on the way over here. It is somewhat forced upon the people by overtaxing the fuels at the pump, resulting in people wanting fuel economical dinky toys. When people want fuel economical dinky toys the manufacturers are going to produce those, resulting in ever more innovative fuel saving techniques. I for one are driving such a car, built like in 2001. It’s doing (advertised) 16km/litre (45miles/gallon) using regular gasoline. I have double-checked this and it is not far of, this probably the result of my driving skills.

The latest ‘dinky’s’ burning regular are advertised doing 23km/l (62m/g) where the ‘greenest’ dieseldinky is advertised doing 26km/l (73m/g)

So yes you are correct thinking fuel consumption will become a big deal for manufacturers once the consumers demand such characteristics in there holy cow.

Steam power from water was always useful in the old days, why not today?

So many alternatives exist and more are being created all the time, we'll finally make use of them when the price for good ole petrol hits crazy digits like $10.
I foresee many things coming around again from the past when we had to be more creative to get around.

Steam power from water sounds great but the last time I checked it’s mainly generated by burning fossil fuel like coal. I wouldn’t want a car that has to boil for half an our to be ready to go, nor would I like to be in a head on collision involving two good ol’ steam boilers under pressure, for example. The main reason I think taking a step back is not the way is because I don’t see that step taken over here. Remember us poor Dutchies paying you’re craze digits already and it is not getting cheaper.

However, this is only if the world maintains some civility. Which of course is in limited supply these days. Unfortunately, I'm thinkin more along the lines that the pursuit of cheap fuel creating a war scarred planet will leave us with little need for the same form of travel that exists today. People will be partnered in local communities for both work and home. Those that wish to thrive and succeed when common world wide transport becomes quite limited will have no choice but to contribute to society.

This is a possibility of course if there are no alternatives found to cope with the problem of getting around affordable. It is however a worst case scenario to say the least. I for one think the development of ever fuel economical vehicles will result in cars that are going to steer clear of fossil fuels al together. In a way becoming the steam powered cars you did mention.
One thing I know is that ever rising fuel prises will set the consumption back but not the miles to go. The consumer dictates the market.

(added quote by)

[edit on 20/4/08 by D.Wolf]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sanity Lost
Friday night, on the way home from work I got to thinking about what I could do when the price of gas gets too high to be worth my money. I live at the oposite side of the city where I work. The only solution I have is move near work so I can walk a few blocks instead of driving.

That of course is a way to cope with the problem if you have no other use for your car then work related miles to burn. Heck you can get a bike or scooter or one of those two wheeled electric thingies to Pendle one way and back. Alternatives are there. But what if you have loved ones living beyond the reach of those alternatives? I for one would still have the need for transportation and I am having just that paying $10 a gallon regular, getting around cheaper then I could do with public transportation as it is.

Originally posted by KMFNWO
think I would name my new horse - Trigger

I would surname it Happy for the bite.

Originally posted by KDave Rabbit
ATS MIX is a RADIO SHOW..... you REACT by calling the toll free number.

Dave

Yeah I got that part after I had an answer formulated. Whilst English isn’t my native tongue I have to put some sweat breaking effort writing in it. When I was about to post to you’re topic, I discovered I could not. So I made a new one out of it for I think a point of view by someone paying $10 for a gallon of regular can shed some light on the seemingly bleak situation in the US.

(added from who the quotes came)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
D.Wolf he doesnt mean Polishing the moon but making home made booze aka moon shine.

Then use the alcohol in it to fuel the car.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Damn, and me thinking I had NASA by the b@lls! I almost started a new thread out of it!

Thanx for stopping me making myself look utterly intoxicated by my own moon shiny stuf!

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I think... we're being offered a solution slowly... because you forget that the ATS crowd represents an "enlightened" but relatively small portion of the populace of the world... and people become so dependent on things, that weaning people off things takes slaps on the hand... and in this case, slaps on the asscheek that carries your wallet.

I asked people at my job what they would do if gas prices went up a few dollars more, and NOBODY said they would stop driving. They would sacrifice almost everything they had, just to DRIVE to work. Wow.

Borderline insanity.

Strange times.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Well... I dunno who's offering us the solution... but I know they view it as screwing us over... but if this is what we need to WAKE UP!!! then it's a solution, albeit a harsh one.

Why does it always have to come to this in order for us to get it? Don't ask me. I just work here.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
Damn, and me thinking I had NASA by the b@lls! I almost started a new thread out of it!

Thanx for stopping me making myself look utterly intoxicated by my own moon shiny stuf!

Haha but hey this polishing of the moon thing could infact be something to generate power at night.
The moon would be a giant mirror for the sun. I wonder what the effect would be

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf

Or I could just polish my butt and power it that way. No it really is home made booze that they used many years ago and folks actually were thrown in jail for having it. Oh and by the way I am a she not a he. And that new ethanol they are making is about the same thing as moon shine. Its illegal for us folks to make it but the Government can make it and its a whole different story.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
I think... we're being offered a solution slowly... because you forget that the ATS crowd represents an "enlightened" but relatively small portion of the populace of the world... and people become so dependent on things, that weaning people off things takes slaps on the hand... and in this case, slaps on the asscheek that carries your wallet.

I asked people at my job what they would do if gas prices went up a few dollars more, and NOBODY said they would stop driving. They would sacrifice almost everything they had, just to DRIVE to work. Wow.

Borderline insanity.

Strange times.

The way I see it when solutions are presented slowly is because of shifting demands towards manufactures of cars, them pressing to fabricate automobiles that do posses fuel-economic solutions. When the fuel is getting more expansive, this demand will grow. Development takes time though, so the solutions will lag the demand somewhat.

In the $10 petrol country, the roads are more and more clogged with cars. It is an exponentional growing problem. Now that is somewhat telling the same story as you’re colleagues do. We will not make less miles but we will require cars that do more miles per dollar because we’ll demand just that when the fuel prices are skyrocketing.

Well... I dunno who's offering us the solution... but I know they view it as screwing us over... but if this is what we need to WAKE UP!!! then it's a solution, albeit a harsh one.

Why does it always have to come to this in order for us to get it? Don't ask me. I just work here.

I dunno if there`s a scheme like that but I do think there is some waking up to do. This waking up though will automatically happen when people can no longer afford to pump a 4WD. When the consumer no longer purchases vehicles with whirlpool™ petrol tanks, the manufacturers will create cars that don’t, because the concurrent surely will. Thus answering you’re question about who will offer the solution. It’s you and me eventualy, the consumers.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeroenske

Haha but hey this polishing of the moon thing could infact be something to generate power at night.
The moon would be a giant mirror for the sun. I wonder what the effect would be

Ehrm, I think you’ll demand curtain manufacturers to develop watertight drapes?

Originally posted by hildar
No it really is home made booze that they used many years ago and folks actually were thrown in jail for having it. Oh and by the way I am a she not a he. And that new ethanol they are making is about the same thing as moon shine. Its illegal for us folks to make it but the Government can make it and its a whole different story.

Hilda

I think the problem with boozing up your own fuel is the fact that for starters it will undermine the economics of the big milk cow. The industry won’t like that to much so yeah it’s banned. Secondary I think it’s quite hazardous having a homemade fuel fabric on literally every attic in town. That’ll go with a boom sometime. Especially with people sampling the goodies out of the barrel with hand high yelling cheers at it.

For example: In Holland we have weedshops (called coffeshops) where it is legal to buy and use marijuana. On the other hand it is not legal to grow your own supplies (more then tree life and kicking plants is illegal.). So you may buy it, you may use it but you may not make it yourself. Now what would be the idea behind that you think?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Maybe they're trying to push everyone into the major cities by making it strenuous to get anywhere in any place other than tightly packed urban areas?

For what purpose that would serve I don't !!!!!!KABOOM!!!!!! know.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Out of curiosity, how much money do you spend per week on gas?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Maybe they're trying to push everyone into the major cities by making it strenuous to get anywhere in any place other than tightly packed urban areas?

For what purpose that would serve I don't !!!!!!KABOOM!!!!!! know.

Everything is possible, but then again wouldn’t that be something you would see happening in a country were the price of a gallon is tree times as high as it is in America?

As this tightly packing is not crystallising, I think it is or a doomy worldview or ‘they’ are failing miserably in their evilish objectives. Either way I like to think there is a bit more sunshine in the world.

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by D.Wolf

Out of curiosity, how much money do you spend per week on gas?

That depends on how much I drive but I use my dinky to get to work and back most of the time. This puts me down around thirty/ forty euros a week. (forty-seven and sixty-tree USD)

If I would make more miles I would consider purchasing a somewhat newer, thus more thrifty, car burning diesel, getting close to twice the mileage (45m/g) out of the same money. I would have to start calculating then though, cause those ‘diesels’ are somewhat more expansive to purchase and are taxed more. (Holland has a tree-monthly tax system for road usage where diesel cars are taxed approximately four times as high as a regular cars while diesel-fuel is some twenty €cents cheaper at the pump.) There is a mileage break even point to consider before purchasing a tin can.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I pay slightly less than you for now but I should be on par by the end of May if we hit 4.00/gal like they are predicting.

All I can do is deal with it for now. I live 7 miles from work and I would ride a bike to work but our roads are not set up for that very well. There are many, many spots with no shoulder and no bike lane so you are thrust into 45+mph traffic. We had someone die on the route I would have to ride just a month ago.

Not only are our roads not set up well for riding or public transit, our options for vehicles are quite a bit fewer than yours. Over here they consider 35mpg *efficient. And you pay quite a premium to get a hybrid that is 40+mpg.

I think if we hit 4.50-5.00/gal I will just end up getting a vespa or something and just risk it out amongst the larger vehicles that aren't used to seeing small scooters on the road.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join