It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.4-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Illinois

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   

5.4-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Illinois

www.foxnews.com

WEST SALEM, Ill — A 5.4 earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people awake as far away as Milwaukee early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.

The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered 6 miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville, Ind. It awakened people in neighboring Indiana and even Milwaukee, Wis., 350 miles north of the epicenter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The quake shook skyscrapers in Chicago's Loop, 240 miles north of the epicenter, and in downtown Indianapolis, about 160 miles northeast of the epicenter. Residents of Cincinnati and St. Louis also reported feeling the earth shake.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I was awake because I could not sleep. Shook my bed and rattled my windows. My dog went crazy.

We are sittiong on the madrid fault. They said that a quake can be felt at least once a year from that fault and 4000 more happen during the year.

I hope that big one never comes around again though, back in 1812 I believe they were hit with a 7 or 8, will have to check my sources.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
i never expected to wake up and read something like this... this is wacked... i didn't feel a thing... i live in central IL and i guess i slept right through it, lol...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This is 102 years to the day of the great San Francisco quake of 1906.

I barely woke up, told my husband to quit doing whatever it is he was doing and went back to sleep. Duh. I think I need to pay a little more attention next time.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Some of you might be interested in this stretch of quakes in the 26 hour period before this one in IL. Scroll to the bottom and back up 4 posts to the one 'posted on 4/18/2008 @ 04:09 AM.' Something like 8 in a 24 hour period, in a range of 5.1-5.5, and then 2 hours later the one in IL...

RabbitChaser's posts - Quake Watch 2008

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
They supposedly felt it here in Iowa, but I was out cold at the time.
I wasn't waking up for nuttin after those damn racoons were fighting outside my window!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Me and my Dad both felt the earthquake here in Dickson County TN! We are, and I'm guessing, about 400 or so miles away. Shook the house just enough to feel it.

What was really weird was, earlier that afternoon, me, my Dad, and a cousin of mine were talking about earthquakes and the New Madrid faultline. All three of us thouht THAT was spooky as h#ll.

new topics

top topics

join