It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is YOUR religion Better?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It is a mystery to me why so many people focus on their religion's differences then their similarities to others.
Why is your's the "right" religion?

Me? I am a Ghandi like Christian... I'm about the "golden rule" ....treat others as you would like to be treated.

(yeah, I obviously know Ghandi wasn't a Christian)

So why is your religion right for the world?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This also includes my fellow Christians and their denominations.
It seems that we have the most to be critical about because we go after each other more than we do another entirely different religion.
If someone says they are a Christian you have no idea really what that means. It is like saying they are American but not knowing the difference between Republican or Democrat for example.
So you can take my question to also include...why is your denomination of Christianity better than (or more correct, if you prefer) than anyone else's?
I like that there have been views here but nobody willing to throw it out there. That also gives me the opportunity to also ask that no one post scripture as support. I want "your" opinon and not what you have been told.
For example; I don't need scripture to support that my religion is better than any religion that wants to kill me. Because my religion doesn't want to kill you.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Well... my "religion"(quite the misnomer, as I'm not a fan of organized religion; "belief system" would be the better term) ISN'T inherently 'better' than any other. It's just what's right for me(for now, anyway; one should never get too comfortable when it comes to religious matters, I think). Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
My religion is best because it accepts all others as possible truths. I tend to gravitate to anything that allows its follower to ascend in any manner. I'm like a buddhist who isn't as egocentric and prays to a non-descript all powerful being.

Plus, mine doesn't involve church, so that's automatically the winner.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I think my religion is better because it is different.
If my religion was too similar to other religions, it would be worthless.
If they were all the same, why follow yours, and not another?
I would go so far as to say that every denomination, other than my own believe in a false god.
It is possible that a few people who belong to another religion may be saved, but as a whole, I think not.
But, I could be wrong, and it could turn out that just having the right theology is not enough to be saved.
The Pharesees believed they had the correct religion, but closed their minds against new light.
If you are not looking for inlightenment and are content to just sit in a pew once a week, you may be in danger of missing the truth that is available to those who serch for it.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I would rather not believe in a God who is vein enough to send good people to hell because they didn't grow up in a region where his teachings were available. Seems a bit like an ego maniacal power whore.

I'd rather think that my God wants everyone to be saved and doesn't base their salvation on anything more than being a good person and living to further themselves and the world they are afforded.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
And the conspiracy is?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

God does want everyone to be saved.
What is good?
Jesus said to love God.
If you love a god who is your own invention, how is that good?
You need to seek Him out where he is, not inside your head.
God went through a lot of trouble to reveal Himself, and if you ignore Him, that is not obedience.
It is rebelion, and is the spirit of satan.
Self obsorbtion is not religion and does not worship God.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Personally, I would narrow it down to the effect upon ones heart and what is coming out of it. That is the true test of any religion, I think, transformation of the heart. Not many religions, per say, can reach in and do this type of work.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

i am not a member of any religious organization of this world because i can find none yet so far that keeps all of G-D's laws.

my wife and i on our own try the best we can to follow the Messiah's teachings and the laws He gave to His servant moses-----animal sacrifices cannot lawfully be made without G-D's temple being rebuilt and for the time being the government of israel is standing in the way of its construction

ezekiel 40 to 48 makes clear that animal sacrifices will be resumed on a permanent basis when Messiah returns and the aaronic/levitical priesthood is restored.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I am agnostic but I also follow the golden rule. There seems to be some form of the golden rule in nearly every religion, and it makes sense. If you treat others the way you would like to be treated then I feel like you are following many of Gods other rules naturally.

So I don't think my belief system is better than the others. My personal belief system includes many of the main attributes of many worldly religions, and if you truly look closely, you may realize that the main components of many religions are the same.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If I were to say that my religion is "better" , it would miss the point. I could give a laundry list reasons why my religion is better, but that, also, would miss the point and could even be refuted. It is not about what religion is better and which are not.

When it comes to spiritual matters, I am interested in only one thing. THE TRUTH. I'm not interested in finding "my truth" or what "feels right to me". For such is the way of those who would try to mold the reality of the universe to suit their own tastes and emotions. It is not even possible and the truth is not that way. It is what it is, regardless of perception. Therefore, I will settle for nothing less than the truth.

I'm not here to tell anybody what to believe. All I can really say is that whatever religion gets me closest to the truth shall I not only consider to be better, I shall consider it the best.

[edit on 3/24/2008 by Lightmare]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian

I am agnostic but I also follow the golden rule. There seems to be some form of the golden rule in nearly every religion, and it makes sense. If you treat others the way you would like to be treated then I feel like you are following many of Gods other rules naturally.

So I don't think my belief system is better than the others. My personal belief system includes many of the main attributes of many worldly religions, and if you truly look closely, you may realize that the main components of many religions are the same.

---------------------------------------------------------

Almost all of the replys are singing the same tune, but I want to hear from those that follow a specific religion. There are obviously many of us that don't believe one religion has all of the answers but some people feel that their's does. It would be great if I was wrong because then there would be a new religion or faith that has only the "main components" they all have in common. We wouldn't have to try and explain Obama's Trinty chuch to other Christians let alone to other religions.
Church and community is important so we can't really hope that we hold church in our holy minds and expect to get any good from it.
Maybe the question should be, why does your religion exclude others?
There are people out there that adhere to at least 90% of what their religion tells them to, aren't there? Those are the people I want to hear from, although I appreciate every ones input but we are all preaching to the choir since we all feel basically the same way.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
You are not going to get the respose that you want because the practitioners of the religion you are tryng to describe are not going to talk about it.
Those are the secret societies that you have to go to some extint of vetting before they hand out the real facts of their religion.
These are worshipers of demons and devils that the church worked so hard to drive underground.
Christianity is the opposite of religions that try to exclude people.
Christians are pretty open about their religion because Jesus gave the great commission to his followers, to spread the word.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
My religion is the best because it allows drunkeness,debauchery and very fast motorbikes..

No church on Sunday,No priests,no commandments,no punishments,no limit on the amount of wives..

I just haven't found a name for it yet...
Anyone else want to join send £10,000 to C.ASH via anyone that will deliver it here../sarcasm off]

Sorry no offence to you directly,but someone else mentioned it too..
The amount of religious threads in here is getting ridiculous..
Can't we have a seperate forum for this kinda stuff?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
because my religion is to simply to good

(major props if anyone gets the reference)

that's it.
i'm an atheist, and my religion is to do good.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
My "religion" is the best because it doesn't allow speculation, which would be the true tool of "evil" should it exist. Speculation is the best and most easy way to mislead people. All religions aside from being agnostic allow speculation, even atheists. Atheist speculate as to why there is no god.

Speculation is the pursuit of "truth" even though all your doing is coming up with theories or a hypothesis you neither have the means nor desire to "prove" without a doubt. This is speculation, and if evil exists, that is its tool. All religions are speculative.

If there is a god, the signs are clear as day. It would be speculation to say whether it was nature or god, but never the less, it is evident as to who I am, my purpose, and what I know. This is either the proof of god, or it is the proof of the power of nature. Which it is, I cannot speculate.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think the whole concept of God in any religion is acknowledging that there is a power that is far better and greater then we ever will be. It makes us imperfect but by doing so it gives us the capacity to improve and better ourselves and strive for perfection.
All religions have good points about them that teach us to live in peace and harmouny with each other. It gives us hope when we may find none and the strenght to move on through trying times.
By beleaving in god( whichever religion) we humble ourselves and realise how small we are compared to this universe.
Unfortunately many power hungary humans take it upon themselves to mis-interpret a relegion's teachings and knowledge and twist it to suit their own needs.
It is up to us to look at what is right and what is wrong. Weigh evrything that is told to you on a scale and then decide if its worth listining to.....including all that i have just blurted out here:-)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
why are there so many religions?

2 corinthians 4:[4] In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

1 corinthians 10:[20] But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

someone once said to me ¨where is the best place to hide a tree.... in a forest.¨

if there is a ¨true¨religion and satan is the ruler of this world, is it any surprise that the world would have so many different beliefs?

do all religions lead to god? are all religions good?

judges 10:[6] And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim, and Ashtaroth, and the gods of Syria, and the gods of Zidon, and the gods of Moab, and the gods of the children of Ammon, and the gods of the Philistines, and forsook the LORD, and served not him.

mark 7:[6] He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
[7] Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctines the commandments of men.

rom 10:[2] For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
[3] For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

so not only are there forms of worship not acceptable to god, but knowledge is also needed.

what about religions that are good but dont completely follow the bible?

2 cor 11:14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
[15] Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 tim 3:[2] For men shall be ....
[5] Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

interfaith?

2 cor 6:[14] Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
[15] And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
[16] And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

is the true religion organized?

heb 10:[24] And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
[25] Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

1 cor 1:[10] Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

(true religion would be a unified organization)

1 peter 2:[17] Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

matt 24:[14] And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

(in order for the gospel to be preached, wouldn´t it help if the preaching was organized?)

is love for fellow man all thats required?

love is required, john 13:35, gal 6:10, 1 peter 4:8, 1 john3:14,16,17.

love for god is also needed

matt 22:[35] Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.

obediance to god´s comandments is also needed

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
1 john 5:[3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

what are the qualities of the true religion?

1. are its teachings from god? or men?

2 tim 3:[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

mark 7:[7] Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctines the commandments of men.

adherence to the bible is nessesary (sorry my english is horrible today)

2. does it place importance on god´s name?

john 17:[6] I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

matt 4:10 [10] Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

(in original translations, god´s name was were ¨lord¨is)

3. is faith in jesus backed up with works?

james 2:[26] For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

4. is the religion mostly ritualistic or is the bible a way of life?

1 cor 5:[9] I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
[10] Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
[11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
[12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
[13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

eph 5:[3] But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
[4] Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
[5] For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

gal 5:[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
[23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

5. do it´s members love each other?

john 13:[35] By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

6. is it separate from the world? or do they get involved politically or in wars?

john 15:[19] If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

1 john 2:[15] Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
[16] For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

7. does the religion preach?

matt 24:[14] And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

<<   2  3 >>

join