It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An 81-year-old Australian man has shot himself dead with an elaborate suicide robot built using plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

An 81-year-old Australian man has shot himself dead with an elaborate suicide robot built using plans he downloaded from the Internet.

www.foxnews.com

An 81-year-old Australian man has shot himself dead with an elaborate suicide robot built using plans he downloaded from the Internet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don't know what is more intriguing.
The fact that this man was 81 years old and built a robot from the Internet or that he built it to kill himself.

Weird world we live in.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It was able to fire multiple shots into the man's head after he activated it.

.22 with 4 bullets...

at 81, building a robot to shot ONE round would be difficult enough..
but his robot fired 4... A+ in engineering... not retirement home
material. IMO
I wonder how many of the 4 landed??

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Uh oh, looks like someone didn't obey the rules!

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

This robot should be sent to the robopsychologist.

I am just joking.

Seriously though, I guess he wanted suicide, without the baggage of actually topping himself (even though technically he did) At 81 years of age, I figure it's more self euthanasia from not wanting to be reliant on others, than an actual case of suicide from psychological problems. He was basically at the end of his life and wanted to die with dignity (and probably fame), not in a nursing home.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Sure is!

I feel bad for the man's family.

A part of me believes that a person should retain the right to end one's
own life, because of age, disease, or sudden impact to quality of life by
outside, or unexpected forces. Like inability to afford the essentials, or
pay the bills.

But sensibly, everyone deserves a life worth living!

" Can ya loan me ten bucks? "

[edit on 3/19/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

sty

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
He was quite bright for 81 years old! He could use his skills for better purpose..

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yeah he could have got a job as a consultant for the US military.

I wonder if his life insurance policy still payed off?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrDead

Also he didn't fill out the proper form

Tisk tisk, people always fill out the proper form before terminating yourself. Shesh! :shk:

I don't ever feel bad for people that kill themselves. It's their wish. This guy obviously really REALLY wanted the job done right.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Rube Goldberg probably met him at the Pearly Gates.

This is sad and I'm sure that his family is grieving his loss, but I would suppose that a man who has the wherewithal to build his own suicide machine also has the wherewithal to determine the means by which he will die.

I'm not advocating suicide per se, but an awful lot of us take risks with our lives and are often applauded for our joie de vivre.

We might also conclude that people who jump out of airplanes are committing suicide, because if something goes wrong the likelihood of surviving is so small, as opposed to many thrilling activities that have a little more room for error.

I'm not sure that these men are to be considered equal in their enterprises, but the elderly man in the picture below is less than a second from his death.

[edit on 2008/3/19 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join