It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profit From Ufology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I've noticed that his seems to be one of the more controversial subjects here on ATS and at other places.

People who write books about their experiences gets discredited because they wish to profit from it.

Or they make a documentary on this subject and sell either on the net or to one of bigger stations for airing, and the documentary and the people behind it because it pulled some money in, it was not as trustworthy anymore.

I find this to be a bit strange....
I know for a fact that, getting books, dvd's cd's printed, copied and burned is not for free.

I can understand that this arguments hold if is about a known hoaxer.

For those who write a book i can understand that they would like to get paid if someone wants it, it's time and effort and money put into it.

Or have i missunderstood this completely?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
*BUMP*

No one thought this to be interesting at all?
Oh well...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Yes I did find it interesting! I just now saw this thread you started, and I always find this topic interesting....to sell or not to sell...that is always the question!

Copyrights on a picture or individual video are one thing, writing a book, or making a DVD is another...and as the Dr. Steven Greer threads go on, and on, and on....and the Jose Escamillo threads I have read here etc... Did they totally sell out for the money? Did all the books on, say Roswell over the years, that sold, for actual cash, mean that the authors were in it for strictly for the money? I can't imagine that they make gobs of money, maybe I am wrong, is Hoagland in it for the cash?

If you Balez, put your heart and soul into a "documentary" project and obtained the rights to all footage, pictures etc, funded solely by your own finances because of your interests in the subject, would you, yourself charge say a paltry fee to pay for just the cost of making your final work into a DVD with a run of 1,000? Hoping you'd at least recoup the labor and expenses?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

If you Balez, put your heart and soul into a "documentary" project and obtained the rights to all footage, pictures etc, funded solely by your own finances because of your interests in the subject, would you, yourself charge say a paltry fee to pay for just the cost of making your final work into a DVD with a run of 1,000? Hoping you'd at least recoup the labor and expenses?

Yes i would sell it as in trying to recover perhaps finances lost during the time put in to it, also you need equipment to produce something.
Everything is an expense

But also if i put all of my time into something, like equivelent to a day time job, should i not also get paid for that?

If i did something like this, would i then be questionable, because my motives perhaps was to make money on it?

Let's take the AboveNetWork as an example, do you find these guys trustworty that runs this place (Founders and owners)?
You probably have noticed, just like i have that we see these ads on their pages....

Should this completely ruin ATS, PTS, BTS as an reliable source for information?
Should we discredit the owners for having ulterior motives?

Just my 2c.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Balez

Yes exactly....where does ATS come up with the cash to even run a site this huge? Advertising I am sure and basic blood sweat and tears and some sacrifice in the beginning I am sure of personal money, if not continued, I don't know...exactly my point, I think anyone doing any kind of thoughtful thorough research on ANY topic, has the right and the expectations that the fruit of his/her labors should at least be rewarded with the "breaking even fairy."

I think that people like Dr. Greer, Hoagland, Jose et all only fall under the blanket of suspicion when, they either can't produce what they promise, or ask too much for what they give ...as witnessed in other threads concerning Dr. Greer's $800 mediation seminars etc. The more I peruse this site the more I find the same INFORMATION, for free, you just have to know where to look?

And another question on the subject as well...how much, are we as interested parties in the topic, expected to pay for DVD's, Books etc that aren't on the mainstream list? Over the cost of making them since it probably took many man hours researching etc? Just cost? Nothing at all? Do we donate money to this or that person? To MUFON? Do we volunteer our time? Very good post Balez, ty for making me think about this issue!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Oh and just another thought here....if you had your choice of two "psychics" that were GUARANTEED to both be accurate %75 or more, but one charged a $100 an hour fee, and the other one only took "donations" but had the exact same record of %75 predictions accurate, which would you choose?

I am thinking that most of us, here on ATS, would see BOTH...and compare notes on the sessions, even if one, we had to pay for, JUST in the spirit of searching for the "truth"

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Do we donate money to this or that person? To MUFON? Do we volunteer our time? Very good post Balez, ty for making me think about this issue!

You are welcome

I think people are drawing to many conclusions on the subject of making money on this topic.

I dont think you make that much, perhaps to get yourself by the worst, but if someone gets filthy rich from it, i highly doubt that.... but please find the one who has gotten that rich for me, so i can do the same.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I totally agree with you on this point! I have bought "documentaries" because the $30 or so here and there aren't in any way, inhibiting my lifestyle.

I am interested in the topic, I feel it's a worthwhile spending of my cash....would I plunk down $5K to be taken onto a "mothership" with Dr. Greer on one of his weekend retreats? Of course not.

Would I shell out $30.00 to see what Hoagland has to say about NASA? Sure, why not. It's all relative don't you think?

That would be another interesting "Profit for UFO" subject in this thread...how much has everyone in their estimation, spent on their interest in UFOS over the years?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

That would be another interesting "Profit for UFO" subject in this thread...how much has everyone in their estimation, spent on their interest in UFOS over the years?

Yes it would be, and i also wonder how many have thrown out money on some of these that has been declared hoaxes, and still defend them

new topics

top topics

join