It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABS kicking in constantly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The ABS system in our truck has suddenly becomed posessed! It will kick in whether is wet, dry, hot, cold, asphalt, dirt road...it doesn't care. It's pretty much everytime we brake, but especially when coming to a slow stop...like rolling up to a stop sign or light. Luckily, it doesn't seem to kick in when you slam on the brakes, but just when gently coming to a stop.

It's very annoying and potentially unsafe as the truck doesn't completely come to a stop when you want it to. It was in the garage recently for another issue and we had them check it over. The diagnostic showed no problems, but the mechanic said the sensor looked pretty dirty and cleaned it off. But, it's still doing it.

Any suggestions?

Michelle

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
What do you mean exactly?

ABS is supposed to work when you slam on the brakes to keep the brakes from locking up.

That's a safety feature.

ABS essentially pumps the brakes for the driver?

Do you mean that even while braking gently, you can hear and feel this pumping action?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Sorry Grady, I totally forgot about this thread, and have been away from ATS for a while when we had to format my computer.

Yes, even when coming to a slow, gentle stop, the ABS is kicking in and pumps the brakes. Actually. its ESPECIALLY when coming to a slow stop. There have been times when someone has cut in front of me and when I slam on the brakes, the ABS doesn't come on. I'm talking on dry road, so the ABS reacted properly.

Then, I'll be just coming out of my street, only going about 20km/h because there's a stop sign almost right away, I'll press on the pedal lightly to gently roll to a stop...and bam...the ABS kicks in, starts pumping the brakes and makes a horrid noise. My husband and I are now wondering if it's maybe something else? But whatever it is, it feels just like your ABS kicking in.

We are going to have to take it in soon...more $$$$$

Michelle

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well, I wish you luck.

I'm no mechanic. I just wanted to clarify for anyone who might know specifically.

If it doesn't show up on the diagnostic machine, I suspect that it has nothing to do with the computer, which controls almost everything.

I won't second guess your mechanic, but that was a pretty half fast response to a problem that is so critical.

Perhaps the dealership would be the best place to take it.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Did you get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem with my car.

Thanks, Kris

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I had this problem with my 2000 Chevy Astrovan. A simple brake adjustment to the sensors was neccissary. It was done with the front pads we had replaced.

Hasn't been a problem since.

So yeah. If you have a good, honest mechanic, tell him to check the pads. He'll most likely say you need new ones and when he replaces them, he'll reset the sensor, eliminating the problem.

Hope this helps,
Cuhail

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If the abs warning light isn't comming on it could be air in the brake line or a warped rotor,a warped rotor will make the brake pedal unjulate,but then again with new cars and sensors not sure unless I was testing car

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well, we ended up having to take it to the dealership and bad news

It's the ECBM and BPMV...did I get those right? Anyhow, both computerized parts....and costly as hell. It's going to be about $3000 for parts and labour. We're in the process of getting some other quotes as the dealer has always tried to rob us blind!

Thanks everyone for your replies

Michelle

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Could be bad sensors as well,I had a truck tire explode in front of me in Arizona,tearing up front and underneath my car,ever since my computer was giving off error codes,the jolt loosened sensors,sensors are only about 50 bucks each

top topics

join