It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On My Faith and My Church

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

On My Faith and My Church

www.huffingtonpost.com

Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.

(visit the link for the full news article)

punctuation-edit

[edit on 14-3-2008 by Skyfloating]

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 3/16/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
There is another thread on here about his pastors remarks so I thought I'd start a thread about Obama's statement.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Interesting, plenty of views but no response. I guess it's only a hot topic if we get to reflect negatively about someone but when it's clear theyre speaking out about something... no cheers, no applause, not even a good but I still won't vote for him. Nothing.

edit for spelling

[edit on 14-3-2008 by whoreallyknows]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You´ll notice that many here are not interested in anything good the establishment might be doing or saying. Sad, isnt it.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whoreallyknows

yeah, all echo-y in here...

I give him credit for being about as clear in his remarks as he could possibly be, though how this incendiary pastor managed to sail under the radar so long and how Obama never thought this might be a problem is still beyond me.

That said, as damage control it's a good start, though he should have seen this coming, and he'll need to do more than speak fine words to erase this.

I suspect some childcare/family/community feel-good initiative is madly being cobbled together on the Obama campaign jet as I type.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is a great rebuttal by Senator Obama and I'm glad he took a stand, stepped forward and made his thoughts public. Rev. Wright's rhetoric has been all over the MSM and I wondered how Obama would address it.

Nice to know he has - and with dignity.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Too little, too late.

Obama spent DECADES at Wrights church.
Obama donated money to Wrights church.
Obama picked Wright to baptise his children.
Obama picked Wright to officiate at his wedding.
Obama picked WRIGHTS WORDS to be the title of his book.

Obama fully knew the racist crap Wright spewed from the pulpit (he can't truthfully claim ignorance on that) and Obama fully knew that the parishoners there applauded and cheered Wright on every stink'n time he spewed ... and yet Obama chose to sit in the pews instead of getting up and walking out. His very presence in the church and with those people means he agreed/agrees with them. A good person would have been sick to their stomach at the first sign of the hate filled racist and anti-American crap ... but not Obama. He not only stuck it out, he sucked it up (and titled his book after Wrights words).

He denounces now? Too little, too late.

For him to denounce it now .. now that it stands in his way of being POTUS ... is pathetic and shows he's just a typical politician. He can 'denounce' all he wants ... it means nothing. He had the opportunity for the past 20 years to denounce .. and yet he continued to contribute to Wrights church.

and double
There is NOTHING Obama can do with this. His denouncing is just pathetic as being silent. He made his own bed with Wright .. now he can sleep in it.

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yeah he was pretty clear and direct.

Nothing wishy-washy about that response.

I am not as enthusiastic an Obama supporter as some people, but he's clearly the "least worst" of the remaining options IMHO.

I think we're beginning to see the right wing hate campaign against Obama begin to get into gear now though, now that he appears to be holding his lead.

If you thought Swift Vets For Truth was fun, you're going to love the things they're going to come up with this campaign

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I've been talking about his Marxist, pro jihad pastor for some time. Barak's has known about his philosophies for a long time. He's preached liberation theology from the pulpit. Ask Oprah, she goes to this church too.

I have little doubt Barak secretly agrees with the majority of the pastor's thinking. That's why you have to do a little background checking on your political heroes. Most likely they are zeroes in the way they have been compromised.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

pro jihad pastor

Umm, he's a Christian pastor, not a Muslim imam.

He may not be your preferred variety of Christian, but he's certainly a Christian nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What is wrong with what he said?

I think "God Damn America" is pretty accurate. This country has nothing to be proud of. We kill innocent people, start un-warranted wars, spy on our own citizens, torture people, sit by and watch our government tear our nation to shreds, give money to some dictators and then turn around and go to war with others, etc..

I'm embarrassed to be an American citizen, and I'm confident in saying I am not the only one. In fact, I'll go on the record as saying every single American citizen should be ashamed of what this country has become.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Have you been to his church's website? Obama's church specifically says black only. That blacks are the chosen people, and that they only preach about black problems and black issues. If Hillary, or McCain went to a white only church with white only problems and sermons, they would be considered horrible people, racists, and wouldn't even be considered for president. Obama goes to a black only church and his personal priest is clearly a racist war monger who Obama clearly loves considering his involvement in his life. He almost accidentally accepted Farrakhan's support and then remembered he had to pretend and refused it, everyone saw him hesitate. People who support Obama, or any candidate need to seriously consider there character, and what they believe.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ruggeder

Thank you for adding to this thread. You mention a church website, I think it would add more weight to your statement of he's church only allowing blacks only, if you could post that link or screen shot for all of us to see here. Otherwise it is just rumor not fact.

I think we at ATS have to be careful not to add to the disinfo. So if your going to say the man belongs to a church that has a website that says "only blacks allowed" you need to have a link to that for everyone to see.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Too little, too late.

Obama spent DECADES at Wrights church.
Obama donated money to Wrights church.
Obama picked Wright to baptise his children.
Obama picked Wright to officiate at his wedding.
Obama picked WRIGHTS WORDS to be the title of his book.

Obama fully knew the racist crap Wright spewed from the pulpit (he can't truthfully claim ignorance on that) and Obama fully knew that the parishoners there applauded and cheered Wright on every stink'n time he spewed ... and yet Obama chose to sit in the pews instead of getting up and walking out. His very presence in the church and with those people means he agreed/agrees with them. A good person would have been sick to their stomach at the first sign of the hate filled racist and anti-American crap ... but not Obama. He not only stuck it out, he sucked it up (and titled his book after Wrights words).

He denounces now? Too little, too late.

now he can sleep in it.

[edit on 3/14/2008 by FlyersFan]

big qoute i know im sorry, but 110% wot this guys said^^ and ive tryed so very hard to say in the previous thread on the pastor rev hitler, its just incredible to here that sort of ranting in modern day america for all thay have done to make things right for black afro americans thay have all just been tared with the same brush and shafted up the wrongen, imo

it really dont matter wot obama says now because of thos facts stated in this quote above,

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Trinity United Church of Christ - About Us

Well it doesn't say 'No Whites' but yes it is clearly a 'Black' church... interesting as a European to see this ethnic Christianity, which is clearly wrapped up in the pre and post Civil Rights black experience. Does that make it discriminatory? That is not rhetorical, I am asking what people from the US think on this?

Q

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I would have to wonder about how uncomfortable white people feel during these sermons there. Unfortunately most blacks and other minorities have been feeling that way in most other places. We had to know that this political race would get to this point eventually, especially the possibilty of death threats by extreme white hate groups. It's pretty sad and obvious that others like Obama haven't had the same educational and oportunity experiences he has had.

I would prefer to hear what people like Bill Cosby and Eddie Murphy would have to say about these typical sermons and what they really mean to them. At some point we are all slaves to the same system of corporate greed and manipulation. Keep in mind the simple fact that the cost of living increases the majority usually see each year are a joke and insult also.

It's way past time to choose the people over the same old corporate politics. We could at least have one type of nationalized brand of fuel to choose from. Let's stick with the more important issues.

Gas at $4.00 a gallon will mean even more crime such as stealing gas out of your cars while you sleep. How long before matial law?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights
What is wrong with what he said?

I think "God Damn America" is pretty accurate. This country has nothing to be proud of. We kill innocent people, start un-warranted wars, spy on our own citizens, torture people, sit by and watch our government tear our nation to shreds, give money to some dictators and then turn around and go to war with others, etc..

I'm embarrassed to be an American citizen, and I'm confident in saying I am not the only one. In fact, I'll go on the record as saying every single American citizen should be ashamed of what this country has become.

God didn't damn America. America damned America, from its inception, founded upon lies and the blood of the native people who were here before America or the Europeans.

Enough with the flag waving and huffnng and puffing about "ohh he said something bad about America."

GOOD! Say more bad things about America in the press! Give people the truth, instead of brainwashing them into root root rooting for the hometeam like some brainless football fanatic. The thing here is America isn't playing a fun little game. It's killing people, separating people, corrupting people, manipulating people, and it's the biggest contributor to everything that threatens our very existence...

and yet, grown adults with good educations still get all foamy at the mouth because of some juvenile obsession with taking sides and drawing llines in the sand. Grow up.

Down with America. There, I said it. We're better off without it, I promise you that. But of course, you'll hate me and whatnot, even though I in no way have insulted you... but if we were on a battlefield, you would kill me for telling the truth, just because of a petty conviction to a fictitious place where everything is gravy and g strings.

It's not that way AT ALL! Is there a surgery that fixes this.... maybe it's an inner ear problem.... maybe people just don't process sound and light correctly anymore because of all the prescription drugs that are laced into our drinking water. That's it. Everyone is high.

ANYHOO...

I dunno what else the pastor said, but I do agree with him on that one thing.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by indierockalien]

Oh yeah and I agree with you, quoted guy.... BY the way....

[edit on 15-3-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
There are plenty of resons to disagree with the policies of Barack Hussein Obama, and the PC mantra that a man's faith is irrelevant is wrong and mature people know better or should.
That said,
The only way this Church could be considered discriminatory in my opinion is if they refused membership to whites. Has anyone looked at the demographics of this church? Or does anyone know of a white couple or single person who has been refused membership?
I'd be willing to bet, there are few if any whites but before we call this church racist we need to look at the demographics and membership policies.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I agree completely.

His denouncements ring rather hollow considering that he and his family have supposedly been attending on a regular basis. Its possible that he's sincere, but it certainly appears hypocritical that he's only trying to distance himself now that the national media has picked up on it.

Too little, too late, indeed.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Back on topic... yeah, Barack may not be able to recover from this one. Whether I agree or not with the statement "God damn America", I do realize that a presidential hopeful having any connection to anyone saying anything other than "Praise the Lord for personally making this glorious country. We shall forever worship at it's beautiful feet." is gunna suffer for it. Americans are just SO led like sheep by the people on the nightly news and such, it's like you could say "Ghandi actually really liked Satan" on the news, and the American people would demand that we bomb India because "God good, Satan bad, Oog start fire".

It's rediculous. I'm living in a zoo.

Barack Obama would've maybe been slightly better than Clinton or McCain... but I guess now, we're #ed ever so slightly more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join