It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oort Cloud Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I was watching a NG program recently and have read a "little" about the Oort cloud and was wondering a few things.
We apparently have not fully observed or studied the cloud so is it posible that there could be a star (active or otherwise) in the centre keeping the cloud togeter and could this in fact be a sibling sun to ours?
Do we have any idea how big the bodies within the cloud are? I am by no means suggesting planet x type scenario but could there possbly be planet sized objects? Further to thst is it possible the Oort cloud could be another soler system in the making? (binary solar systems?)
Looking for more astrologicaly educated persons opinions.
ta much
Ant

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Is there anyone with any insight or opinions on this matter? I know I can always research further and even google oort cloud but I was interested in other peoples take on the subject.
Also, apologies for asking for alstrologicaly educated people when I meant astronomically educated. That'll teach me for posting in a hurry and while on baby sitting duties....

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

As far as I'm aware the theory goes that the Oort cloud is like a bubble that surrounds our solar system, so, if that's the case then it's our own star, the Sun which is at the center of the cloud.

If there was another star, then I think we would know from the gravitational effect on the other parts of our solar system.

Anyway, it's not my main field of interest, so I couldn't comment further on it without doing a bit of digging!

Check out this thread though (if you haven't already), which is along similar lines, although I'm not sure if the Oort cloud is mentioned: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally I don't buy the binary-star theory.

Edit for typo

[edit on 10-3-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Thanks for that. "up: Something to think about.
I had actualy been led to believe that the "cloud" was an entity in itself that orbited our system. and if this was the case the gravitational anomilies often referred to could be acounted for by this. Shows what I know then huh....

As far as the binary star thoery goes, I am not a hugh believer either, but as we apparently dont know much about the oort cloud was guessing possible ideas.

new topics

top topics

join