It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Crack Down on the Terminally Ill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Police Crack Down on the Terminally Ill

www.int.iol.co.za

Sydney - Australian police on Wednesday raided the homes of two terminally ill patients who had appeared on television saying they planned to take their own lives.

The officers seized lethal drugs and a diary from the homes of a 78-year-old dying from the asbestos-related disease mesothelioma and from a 54-year-old with inoperable breast cancer, according to euthanasia campaigner Philip Nitschke.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Do you believe this should be illegal in the case of terminal illness? We seem to have more compassion for the prevention of the suffering of animals. What is the legal difference between pulling the plug in a hospital and euthanasia in the end of terminal illness?

www.int.iol.co.za
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I would have to agree with you there DancedWithWolves.

These people are in pain, they should be granted the freedom to chose whether to die now, or whether to die in agony.

They are going to die soon anyways, and in allot of pain. So long as it was their decision to make, then they should have that right.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

And I agree.
What an abomination this is for the police to raid them in their homes as if they are criminals.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I guess the lesson here is, dont announce your plans to the general public.

The cops are stuck in a tough situation. On one hand, people would scream at them for not doing anything if they went through with it. On the other, people are screaming for doing something about it.

Personally, i support the persons right to choose and consider this to be a sad miscarrage of justice.

I wonder what they will be charged with and what they're sentence will be.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It may just be me, but I don't (and never have) seen the problem of someone taking there own life if they were terminally ill. Now if someone else was doing it sure, but why raid a sick person's home if they own there own free will want to end there life because of the immense amount of pain. I can't help but continue to think that euthanasia is the act of someone else doing the deed or helping. Rather than the person actually committing suicide themselves. Not sure of the laws in Australia so I'm wondering if anyone could clarify it for me.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Leviatano

From the article...

Euthanasia is illegal in Australia and police in the past have threatened those preparing to commit suicide with court action.

There are, however, countries in which this is legal.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
How ridiculous they should get the death penalty.

I'm with the let them make thier own choice group. It would be awful to know you have something your dying of and can't do anything about it.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I saw that in the article as well, but it still makes me wonder about their motive for conducting the raid. I can't help but still think that euthanasia is supposed to be assisted suicide and not just suicide.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Just to chime in.. yes, total agreement that a person should have that choice when the end is in sight.
Unfortunately, as INSPITEOF said... don't announce your plans to the general public.

I see the police in this case as being in a bad spot, whats the motto " To Serve & Protect ".

For them to do nothing after their plans were publicised, could look bad on them.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

Kind of makes you wonder. I mean, im sure these people knew the law in this instance, so was telling the public a publicity stunt to raise awareness of this issue in Aussy land? Its hard to say for sure. But whatever punishment the courts dish out will pale in comparrison to the punishment they suffer everyday. Seems stupid to waste tax dollars in prosecuting these people.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Just wait... there's likely more. Soon-ish they will be declared incompetent as well as criminal... Then some jerk-wad will try and "save their soul", then the other crew will try and havvest what organs are servicable while they are still warm...

Institutionalization kills in some cases... nosocomial and iatrogenic complications... so many risks to the dignity of those whose fates are sealed... many, sealed not of their own doing. I'd inform folks what was up in NL but... I'm no advocate. Scary, but from the other side of the fence. At least one group advocates that the assisted option be allowed for "healthy" seniors over 75. Really. It gets complicated. Evey end of life event is unique and solely the possesion of the soul in situ unless otherwise interfered with by "society". Rules? Guidelines? Get stuffed.

Glad I already cut my own deal. Helps to have grown up with one's MD. For me it's between me and my MD.

Vic

[edit on 5-3-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If i was one of these people i would get a hold of the others and stage a mass suicide on the court steps. Get the people together quietly and all blow our brains out at the same time . I would love to see them stop a few people with guns from shooting them selfs lol . It would definitely get the point across.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If anything in this world you should have total control over your life and whether you want to end that life. Like that show called Futurama, there's nothing wrong with those suicide booths on the street corner.

How far do we take this ?
I'm in the process of killing myself and the government is happily collecting taxes on every cigarette I smoke. They also seem quite content to tax me as I destroy my liver with the alcohol I buy at a government liquor store.

How is my slow suicide any different from there's ?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

To answer your somewhat rhetorical question, you cant tax someone who is dead.

I dont think anything the Aussy government does will change what fate these 2 people have, and ultimately, what choices they will make in the not to distant future.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm just like Jesus in Southpark:

When the kids asked him if it was okay to euthanize Stan's grandpa, Jesus said, "I'm not going to touch that with a 10 foot pole".

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

here in south carolina USA that is a good way to get locked up. i dont know what the actual crime is called but its illegal to do here. also in my oppinion its selfish and cowardly. if you dont have the nerve to handle your problems it would only do for you to kill yourself...

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

also in my oppinion its selfish and cowardly. if you dont have the nerve to handle your problems it would only do for you to kill yourself...

If the person is already dying how do you see this as a selfish and cowardly act? Is suffering required of them? If your pet is in pain and on his "last legs" do you not take him to the vet and have him humanely "put down" so that he doesn't suffer needlessly? Humanely being the operative word.

I don't see this as someone not having the nerve to handle their problems. I see it as legal red tape that is not consistent. If a loved one is in the hospital and there is no hope of recovery, you are urged to pull the plug and not leave that person in this state. How does a loved one have more of a right than the individual with the illness to make that decision? In my opinion, how and when they chose to go is a matter of dignity and a profound ability to handle one's own problems. Do you find it more generous to let your family watch you waste away and suffer to the bitter end?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
i should have cleared that up what i ment when i wrote that was the ones who do it because a girlfriend left them or they lost a job.

if you are ill and gonna die anyways you should have that option expecially if you are in a great deal of pain..

top topics

join