It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov installing keystroke loggers on new computers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is an old link that I discovered a while back but I was curious if anyone knows of anything similar going on still today. I have no idea of the depth of what was really going on with this but if it was really going on (or still is today) then isn't it proof of domestic spying? Everyone I bring this up to has no idea what I'm talking about. here is the link:

www.infowars.com...

-ChriS

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Technically, they wouldn't need too.

If they wanted to key log they would of already and not the average EXPERT computer user would know they we're logging.

I'm running TPF 2005 and I can guarantee I havent seen any activities on my computer, yet my internet keeps turning on and off..... I'm on a wifi router, but it's never done it before.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
like someone said they probably wouldn't have to, I would imagine that market research has that covered already. Im not too savvy with internet laws and whatnot, but I think they still need a warrant to use any of that information to prosecute you. But if this is just an issue of not wanting someone else to have access to what you type on your computer, I think that battle has long been lost. That is unless you never plug into the internet.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychedeliack
like someone said they probably wouldn't have to, I would imagine that market research has that covered already. Im not too savvy with internet laws and whatnot, but I think they still need a warrant to use any of that information to prosecute you. But if this is just an issue of not wanting someone else to have access to what you type on your computer, I think that battle has long been lost. That is unless you never plug into the internet.

No they don't need a warrant.

All they do is say "It's a matter of national security" and they are the king of planet mother*dfs8dfs8 earth.

What I'd tell a government official if he tried too clown me,

DUKE NUKEM STYLE: "Blow it out your arse."

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This comes up every few months.

Fact is, in this particular case, using the methods described in the article, is a hoax.

The original site this all originated from is long gone, but it's several years old.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
3rd party software keyloggers are not really secure, and fairly easy to ferret out. Hardware loggers are the best, but not really widespread and I doubt you could get every manufacturer to install them.

The very best would be to "get in bed" with a very large operating system manufacturer and force "him" to install a backdoor---hardcoded--- into the very system that most everyone uses.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox
3rd party software keyloggers are not really secure, and fairly easy to ferret out. Hardware loggers are the best, but not really widespread and I doubt you could get every manufacturer to install them.

The very best would be to "get in bed" with a very large operating system manufacturer and force "him" to install a backdoor---hardcoded--- into the very system that most everyone uses.

I see what all of you are saying and it makes sense. Why would the gov put in a suspicious "eavesdropping" device in new computers when people are constantly messing with components and fixing problems. It seems to me that if this were true, people would have been discovering these objects and more people would have made a fuss about it. It's not like we wouldn't eventually find out since there would be devices in all these computers. It wouldn't exactly be cost-effective either to build all these devices, pay the manufacturer to install them, etc... Only for people to find out that they're being monitored with all kinds of little chips and eavesdropping hardware inside their computers.

It seems more likely to me that if there is something substantial going on it would occur during the programming process, possibly integrated into the OS itself (which would then give you complete access to all computers using that OS). It would be so much easier. You would have ample time to code it, hide it, etc. The gov also wouldn't have to pay near as much or use up as much of their time, but would get as-good or better results.

For all we know it is happening right now though right? Are there any interesting theories about this?

-ChriS

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Of course.
Vi$ta has had rumors from the beginning, mostly in the DRM and ADS, logging and tagging for easy recovery. (DRM= Digital Media Rights, ADS= Alternate Data Streams) and some tests on how much longer it takes to copy data using vi$ta vs XP seems to indicate a doubling of effort.
I don't have the time or desire to peruse several dozen million lines of code looking for alligators, though.

new topics

top topics

join