It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Suspends Teens for Wearing Crucifixes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

School Suspends Teens for Wearing Crucifixes

www.foxnews.com

ALBANY, Ore. — A pair of Albany teenagers suspended for "gang-related behavior" because they were wearing crucifixes say they were only wearing gifts from their mothers.

Jaime Salazar, 14, his friend Marco Castro, 16, were suspended from South Albany High School recently after they refused to put away the crucifixes they were wearing around their necks.

Salazar said Principal Chris Equinoa saw his necklace and told him to put it away. "I was like, why?" Salazar said. "He says it's related to gangs."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-2-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This could create fireworks of...well....Biblical proportions.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
He shouldve told his teacher to take off his tie, as that's related to gangs also.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Now, I'm all for the separation of Church and state, but this is over the top. Related to Gangs? He might as well say most gang members are young, so young people are hereby prohibited from going to school.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Mother Confirms Crucifix was Gift

Speaking through an interpreter, Maria Salazar said she purchased the crucifix, on a necklace of blue beads, last year in Mexico. She said she gave it to her son "because it has the cross of God. We are Catholics."

Jaime Salazar insists he is not affiliated with any gang. He and his friend Marco Castro, 16, who was also suspended, say they believe their Latino background makes them targets.

Salazar said he has worn the crucifix necklace off and on since school began.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yet another reason why the public school system is failing... moronic administrators. Just because you have good intentions doesn't make you right.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The principle must have read Freedom FROM Religion instead of Freedom OF Religion. Poor guy.

Another perfect example of the foolishness of Zero Tolerance.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
He shouldve told his teacher to take off his tie, as that's related to gangs also.

QFT

Could someone please get this man an award for most truthful, quickest and wittiest response to any OP?

That was good... almost... too good.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm willing to bet there's more to the story than this. Chances are that a specific gang in the area is using the crucifix to identify themselves.

Besides, it's not the crucifix, it's the Faith that connects you to God.

IMO, it's premature to just assume that these boys rights have been violated.

Equinoa said religious items are not banned. But, as principal, he reserves the right to ask a student to remove, or cover up, any item he feels could indicate gang affiliation even a crucifix.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We're not trying to squash any religious symbols and we're not trying to get into religion, but we are trying to get into student safety, and that's what we're really concerned about," Haggart said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But Albany police say fellow officers in Salem and Hillsboro have been contending with crucifixes and rosaries as gang markers for the past several years. Their appearance at South could be an indication that the markers are moving in, said Officer Ken Fandrem, who leads a gang task force that meets monthly.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
One of the many reasons to start home schooling your children. I have yet to read one positive story about schools in America. Since when have teachers turned into parents?

Seems to me the parents now a days have less authority over their children then the schools themselves. If its not a story about a power crazed authority figure I read its a story like this one.

And don't get me started on the American curriculum's in general.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This news is further confirmation of where our country is headed. Down the toilet!

Sure, I'll be reading/watching for "the rest of the story" as to why this school acted against students wearing crucifixes---but I believe eventual investigation will confirm an increase of intolerance; being aimed at public displays of Christian identity.

As sheeple we must remember NOT to offend another---especially those new to our country that have none of our social, political or religious values. (Please note the scarcasm here).

As sheeple we must remain silent and politically correct. (Notice the irony here as compared to those who come here demanding for their rights).

Furthermore, as sheeple we must, under no circumstance, request that people wearing any form of religious identity or familiarity with religion of any stripe be asked to leave their veils, turbans, prayer rugs, etc AT HOME! (Please not the hypocrisy here). Oh, for those of you that will scream "What about those Jews, Buddhists, Zen masters, etc...aren't they to be included?"...Let me say this first.....OF COURSE you idiots! Didn't I just say ALL religious persuasions!

HYPOCRISY to allow one religious organization to demand allowances and retro-fitting of our entire society---whilst all others be banned from the same public displays of religious affiliation. You think my assertions are incorrect? Well, just ask any muslim to leave their belief at home....They ain't going to comply. That'll be YOUR proof.

Rant over

[edit on 25-2-2008 by deenamarie53]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
"Police say crucifixes are used by gangs in Salem and Corvallis" www.iht.com

Bud Bunce, spokesman for the Roman Catholic archdiocese of Portland, said his office has received no reports of gangs using crucifixes or rosaries to identify themselves.

I am having a hard time finding information on what gangs wear crucifixes for identification. There is quite a lot of tattoo information related to gangs and crosses.

The important thing( I think) is these boys said they were not in a gang.
Aren't most gang members proud of what gang they are in and won't deny it?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by starskipper

Didn't you know that the testimony of the students themselves (along with their families) can't be trusted? We must let liberalist academia tell us what we mean when we open our mouths. They're not in their chosen field of education to allow us to think for ourselves, lol!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Not only do we have in idiot in charge as President but apparently we have idiots in charge of schools. Why do we let idiots control the world, why? I am ashamed to be a member of the human race, we are controlled by idiots and we like it.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Idiots don't understand the things they do. I don't believe were discussing idiots.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It actually can be gang related. I don't know how many of you watch the show, Gangland, on the History chanell, but, I was watching about this group in New York, the Latin Kings, that wore crucifixes that did signify that they were part of the gang. Of course it was color coded, black and yellow, but they can be used as a gang symbol. If you want to watch this episode check the episode guides for when it comes on again; it's called, "Kings of New York" and here's a link to the episode archive: www.history.com...

[edit on 26-2-2008 by ChrisJr03]

[edit on 26-2-2008 by ChrisJr03]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There is a difference between "take off" and "put away". I wonder if the students had covered the offending material under their shirts would we be reading this?

Of course, since this is America, the students/parents have the right to go to a different school. Perhaps a Catholic school, a school that would be more understanding of their expression of faith.

Either way, what a waste of news in my opinion. They were told to comply to a rule, and didn't. Therefore they were punished. If it had been a shirt with questionable content foul would not be being cried. Or just a good old fashioned necklace, still no foul. Throw religion into the mix, and look out!

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
Yet another reason why the public school system is failing... moronic administrators. Just because you have good intentions doesn't make you right.

And possibly (probably?) for also wasting our tax dollars paying to educate illegals. I noticed that the mother needed an interpreter to explain why her son was wearing the crucifex.

BTW, it would be more proper to say that the crucifex was cult-related than gang-related.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I think those gangs should start wearing that schools colors and mascot. What would the school do then? I wouldn't worry that much about this issue though. We are talking about Oregon. The people in that town will group together in one large 'gang' and take out this Principal and the school board.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I watched the interview of the boys on a news channel. This boy was dressed well, wore a belt with his undies under his pants and not showing. He had a t shirt and a flannel type shirt over it. I believe it was blue or grey. The necklas was one color and not that large but did hang down a little.
The boy was well spoken and did not flash any type of "gang" symbols for the camera. I read somewhere that gangs have a rule not to talk to the press.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join