It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA Wants Access to Your Virus Scanner!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

RIAA Wants Access to Your Virus Scanner!!

www.dslreports.com

Public Knowledge posts a video from the recent State of the Net Conference, at which the RIAA's Cary Sherman discusses ISP piracy filters. Of course, many piracy filtering systems like the one being tested by AT&T could easily be bested by encryption. Sherman has a solution for that: spyware/software on your PC, buried in your anti-virus software or within your modem that would restrict you from viewing certain content...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.publicknowledge.org
gizmodo.com

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
*shakes head*.....how about let's not do that, and then say we did....

www.dslreports.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

...Or better yet, why not discard the idea entirely.

Then disband the RIAA, MPAA, and any other corporate advocacy group that wishes to infringe on the right to privacy of a public citizen in the name of corporate profiteering.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wow! The RIAA really knows how to alienate the consuming public. Since their escapades of using their corporate largesse to bully around children, I have sworn to NOT PURCHASE a single product that falls under the auspices of the RIAA. And this oath I have maintained for several years now. I used to purchase 100 to 200 CDs every year - I haven't purchased a single piece of music in over 4 years that has been put out by a member company of the RIAA. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of muscians who are self-publishing and self-distributing their own music and I have been more than happy to spend my hard earned dollars on them!

Notice to the software companies... ever hear of freeware!?!? If you so much as install a single line of code on my computer that snoops on my content and reports it without my permission, you will lose the roughly $100 per year spent on your software licenses.

I am, as I believe most people are, fed up with these corporations believing that they can dictate and control our lives. I would MUCH rather do without your products (Which are becoming so inferior anyway) than have to cow-tow to your ridiculous and intrusive demands!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
All the solutions are simple.
Dont buy anything you cant mod . Go LINUX. Pick up a surfboard modem. . Buy a wrt-54g (wireless router you can install Linux on) And that about bests all there attempts. Linux=no virus scanner needed. + Linux router means you can drop rst packets + Surfboard modem = Fun fun fun

If you would like a better run down of this equipment. u2u me

[edit on 7-2-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I am, as I believe most people are, fed up with these corporations believing that they can dictate and control our lives. I would MUCH rather do without your products (Which are becoming so inferior anyway) than have to cow-tow to your ridiculous and intrusive demands!

Definately, to top it off, most corporate published software can be trumped by opensource freeware widely available on the net.

Not to mention their failed investments into anti-piracy methods which often interfere with genuine attempts to play music or run software...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I wish someone would "cut the internet cable" to the RIAA. They are way too gustapo for me.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Just use PC TOlls Antivirus, it is free and PC Tools does not use spyware. Also, you can use UseNeXT for $10 a month, but have 10GB HIGH-SPEED and UNLIMITED 1000KbS DOWNLOADING A MONTH!!![snip]

[Edited the illegal activity portion out.]

[edit on 8-2-2008 by TheBorg]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Wasn't EMI thinking of Pulling out of the RIAA? IF they pull out, the whole orginisation could crumble behind them.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is one reason I stopped allowing Windoze Defender to update itself. Much too easy for Microsloth to 'update' it to include blocking content or other nefarious things.

Soon we'll need virus scanners to scan the virus scanners.

top topics

join