It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS, UFOs, and an International UFO Database/Association

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm putting this post in Skunkworks because it is part thinking aloud, part idea/suggestion, part wishful thinking.

My idea/thinking concerns putting ATS at the centre of a worldwide UFO database/Association.

It seems to me that one of the biggest things holding back the investigation of UFOs is it's fractured and chaotic nature.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems we have one or more UFO investigating bodies in practically every country, all doing their own thing and occasionally sharing information, but that's about it. Countless people running around, collecting data (to various levels of standard) and no one place where all this accumulated, but disparate, data can be gathered together, analysed, and used to aid in furthering our understanding of the UFO phenomena.

Why gather all this international data into one place?... I can think of several potentially worthwhile reasons.

1/ The scientific method can not (at present at least) be applied to UFOs directly. There's very little direct/physical evidence, and the phenomena is not one that can be repeated at will, thus be scientifically tested. However, it is entirely possible to apply scientific analysis to raw data that's been collected about the phenomenom, and it is possible that this in itself might yield suprising results.

2/ If enough data from enough International UFO investigators is gathered together in a relational database it might be possible to analyse the phenomenon in some serious depth. For example... How many sightings of black triangles worldwide in a given period, general number of witnesses, type of locations (near military bases perhaps), is the same type of BT being seen in several countries at the same time. Is there any correlation with other local or world events. It might, for instance, allow investigators to predict the likelyhood of future sightings at a given time/location... and thus make preparations to gather extensive info/evidence firsthand.

3/ If the database was run along WIKIPEDIA lines it might be entirely possible for members of the public (from anywhere in the world) to add there own sightings, Granted, there would always be those who add hoax sightings and info... but these could be subjected to a certain level of scrutiny by staff. (volunteers, of course.. lol) This would mean hopefully,in general terms, the combined data from UFO Agencies and the general public going into the database would be a true reflection of what's happening worldwide. Did I mention?... I envisage a database that can be used by all ATS members, not just investigators.

4/ ATS is growing BIG... It's only going to get bigger and more successful (in my opinion, anyway). If you were to put ATS at the centre of a worldwide UFO investigation effort, where ATS literally becomes the hubb where all UFO investigating bodies touch base, the effect could be pretty spectacular. With it's large, and growing worldwide membership, and it's obviously growing media clout and reach, it will become increasingly more difficult for mainstream media to both ignore and ridicule the UFO phenomena and those who've experienced it. It's kinda hard to call millions of people worldwide idiots or mad, especially when those millions are part of, and sitting on, a place (ATS) that has collected and organised some serious and comprehensive data on UFOs.

Continued below...

[edit on 7-2-2008 by Dagar]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
So why would any UFO institution want to bother with joining such an effort?... Who's going to bother?... I actually think the old maxim 'build it and they will come' would apply here.

If, for example, ATS was to get some of the big fish in UFOLOGY behind the idea, and contributing to it (Stan Friedman, Timothy Good, etc), and it started to collect data from it's own membership, I don't think it would be that difficult to convince individual agencies like MUFON or BUFORA to contribute. After all, they might have to put some effort in, but what they would get back is many times more... ie: reference information and data about the UFO phenomenon on an international scale.

Like I said at the start. I'm sort of thinking aloud here, and just throwing out a few ideas and suggestions for you all to comment on. To be honest I'm not really sure if what I'm suggesting has been done before, or is even practical or feasable. I'm sure some of you can shoot the whole idea down in flames.. hehe. Please feel free to do so, as I'm just thinking aloud here.

Comments?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
No comments, suggestions, or critiques eh?

Ah well... Like I said, it was just an idea, thinking aloud.

Down she goes !

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think your idea is great.

However, there is a site that is [maybe] similar to your idea? Check it out to find out:

www.nuforc.org...

You can report your sightings there and look through their report database.

I havent searched the site much....It does say "National"....but you are talking "International".

[edit on 7-2-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for the reply

My thought was to combine something similar to your link (except on an international level), with ATS' increasingly high profile, the databases of as many UFO institutions around the world as possible, and have it all as a searchable relational database.

That nuforc site looks pretty nifty!

[edit on 7-2-2008 by Dagar]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dagar
My idea/thinking concerns putting ATS at the centre of a worldwide UFO database/Association.

Hi Dagar,

I think you may be interested in this thread : ATS UFO Reporting Database - isawaufo.org.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I read it, cheers Isaac

I actually asked Skeptic Overlord about this on his 'ask SO thread (for the podcast) and he replied on the show, hinting at what's mentioned in your linked thread.

I think it's GREAT!! ... Hopefully it'll really take off, maybe even attract worldwide UFO agencies to add their current databases to it. It should be a humdinger of a resource, regardless.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
There is no shortage of great places to report and search on UFO sightings--however I think the real value would be to aggregate those into a single source.

I'm not sure if ATS is going to simply have another reporting database or if it going to attempt to aggregate some of the best existing ones...

A single database, along with other key data, would allow researchers to do some data mining and kick out some new knowledge.

delius

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by delius

A single database, along with other key data, would allow researchers to do some data mining and kick out some new knowledge.

delius

My thoughts precisely!

For 60 years all investigation, worldwide, has been fragmented & disorganised. Put it all together and both analysis and investigation might yield some really fruitful results.

new topics

top topics

join