It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we tell aliens we're here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Reuters news link

Alien-hunters are calling for messages to be broadcast directly into space to tell ET that we are here. But others are urging caution, saying it could be dangerous to reveal our existence to other civilisations.

I suppose it depends on what you believe, lots say that if they have devolped to a level of tech so they can reach us the must be benign and highly evolved,

Others say if you believe in evolution, then it may very well be survival of the fittest out there, and certain civilizations may be hostile in an atempt to acuire resources on a galactic scale.

New Scientist reports this week that some in the SETI team are now calling for a radical change by beaming messages into space - just as Nasa did in a stunt on Monday when they broadcast the Beatles hit Across The Universe towards the Pole Star.

And why did Nasa pull this stunt? they were not sending a coded message to someone were they ? lol.

I say go for it 1. they might help our planet , 2. we may unite and stop killing each other, the benefits outway the risks .. i hope.

Anyway what do you all think yes or no should we broadcast our presence to potential alien civilizations?

[edit on 6/2/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well, for those who may not know, we already have. Back in the day, NASA and the US GOV/FED sent a out capsile via sattelite with a absic symbol language engraved on it, along with sound bite recordings which broadcasts, into space directed into deep space which explained our DNA, history, along with a proposed national intention, what ever that is.

I remember this, and this thread makes me wonder who else does so also.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Sending out our DNA seems extremely stupid to me , hey you wanna study us? no need here's 'everything you ever wanted to know about human beings but were afraid to ask'

seems an insanely stupid thing to do .. i dont suppose someone could dig up a picture of what we sent , i know i have seen it before wasnt it sent on a voyager probe?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I don't recellect which space program sent it out, I just remember it being done, but it has elemetary style pictograms on it's surface.

Only thing is, it was sent out quote, one was sent out, that we know of, in a direction towards God only knows where, and it is very improbable EBEs would find it, unless NASA knew other wise, to find it.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Imagine a civilization. They are not even a Type I. They have only really been able to launch a few rather shaky, or temporary low planet orbit habitats.

They have not solved the problems of interplanetary travel, nor do they have any kind of space-based defense system set up, and certainly no advanced technology like giga-watt lasers or forcefields.

There may exist war-like or at least imperialistic, full Type I or Type II civilizations out there, say within a 50-100 light year radius.

Should this infant, not even space-faring civilization risk calling them out?

Would they not be better served to wait until they are a full Type I, and able to easily journey at least to near-by planets in their own solar system and have terraformed one other planet and set up a self-sustaining base in case of comet or meteor catastrophy?

I think they would be wise to wait until they are more robust, at least capable of minimal defense of the home world before inviting anyone here.

OTOH, if there are no other Type I or II civs out there within 100-500 light year radius, and any that might exist can only send or receive normal radio communications and can't visit us, what's the point? We and they will all be long gone before even the first message gets out there.

It's sort of a paradox. Should we have sent primitive probes like Voyager out when it's fairly obvious that before they get too far we may develop technology (say in 100-200 years) that will allow us to zoom out past them in some kind of FTL ships? Likewise, by the time any signals get to 100-500 light years, we should have developed more advanced means to signal.

2 cents.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Normally i would agree with you , but i got this feeling that we aint gonna make it to that level of tech, maybe some outside intervention may be beneficial.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
i agree, it seems very fool-hearty to shoot up such critical information about our species for anything or anyone to find.

that either shows we are very trusting and open-armed to any alien civilization, or NASA did it for the media, not taking it seriously at all, probably thinking the likelihood of any other species intercepting it would be nil.

i think minimal conversational attempts would be good. it conveys our evolved intelligence and hopefully shows a peaceful outreach for contact.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Well, true, I agree we may not get there with more advanced tech the way we're going. But I consider it extremely far-fetched to imagine that not only would we meet an alien civ that could even communicate with us, let alone come here, but also that it would be able to or be interested in helping us.

I think that may be a big misconception that has been around for a lot of years that there are 'space brothers' and that they are going to help us.

Very, very (x10) unlikely.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been mentioned but haven't we already sent our info to outerspace (see www.serpo.com) I am new and don't know how to link. BUT it is my understanding that our DNA has already been sent, especially to Zeta Reticuli....however, I am not an expert. I believe our government has been in communication with these ETs for some while now. DNA was only the beginning...

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
sorry, my mistake, it is [url=http:www.serpo.org/serpo]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I think some would help us some would not , however sending the signal might not be as risky as people think. their may be no one to answer it (and yes i DO believe in life elsewhere) however Our 'type' of life may only form under freak circumstances, of our planets position.. the moons interaction, possibly some type of comet or asteroid impact bringing required materials..

You see in an infinite universe all possabilities must exist, so the probability of life of our kind evolving is 1 in 1 , but what if we are that 1 freak occurence? it very well maybe a big waste of space , but hopefully we will do a good job of filling that space up.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Yes, the Voyager Space Probe Golden Record. pretty good wikipedia article about it.

The joke at the time was the response we'd get back was, "Send more Chuck Berry".

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Nice info thank you

yes i always remember this picture.

Here's what we look like , here is our location , oh and here's our genetic code so you can figure out our strengths and weaknesses.

like i said total insanity especially at our level of advancement.

But i still say go for it !!!! at the rate were going were not gonna make it , or at the very least were gonna make it back to the stoneage.

Einstein - ' i dont know what weapons world war three will be fought with , but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones'

[edit on 6/2/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

new topics

top topics

join