It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Govt did admit UFO existance what would that change?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Let's say tomorrow at 3pm EST that President George Bush holds a press conference to admit the existance of UFOs.
Let's say the government releases all of their photos and vides of UFOs.
And lets just assume that the government has only observed these crafts. Perhaps they've collected some debris and reverse engineered it. But that is all.
How would this change anything?
If they haven't been able to communicate with the pilots of these crafts any better than us on this site have...
If they haven't gotten instructions or advice from the beings onboard...
If they simply say: "yeah, there are UFOs flying around."
How does that change anything?
I will go to my job next Monday, same as normal. My daughter will still go to school next Monday. Nothing in our daily lives will change. And we will still have nothing but questions about why those crafts are in our skys and what they want with Earthlings.
We push so hard for government honesty, and I personally want it too --- because it is right. But would it really affect any of our lives or answer any of our questions?
i mean besides people who have seen UFOs and spoken about it not being called crazy anymore...

[edit on 16-1-2008 by BOTAL]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The Brookings Inst. did a study that found social order would break down.

www.presidentialufo.com...

Personally if discloser took place I wouldn't move from the puter and TV until I felt that I had the truth and as much info as I could gleen. Especially to go to work. The truth is much more important to me than work.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
UFOs do exist, their 'unidentified flying objects. But if the government told us all they know, that extraterrestrials do exist and they visit us daily, could have all kinds of chain reactions. Maybe for the good maybe for the bad. For me, I don't really know, maybe a greater sense of awe. Because right now it is only speculation, but a definite 'yes they do exist', would have profound effects on civilization, at least in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't know exactly, but I sure hope it somehow changes my tax bracket.

Stupid reply to stupid post. Sorry.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The government would be in a heap of # because so many people would be pissed off at them for admitting that they flat out lied to us for so many years. They will never admit that they knew about it all along. If anything, they will act surprised as if they just found out themselves.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Also known history, science etc. would all go to pot,
It however would also open the ability to improve our modern sciences,
As it would let the people of earth KNOW that what they dream of
can also become true, In a sense, it will add hope and thus speed up the process

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BOTAL

Well, the scientific significance of this would be massive. I think its impossible to even forecast the most important implications, but start at the beginning - the universe is therefore likely teeming with highly advanced civilizations...

But then, science has no real affect on our daily lives....

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Mega-things would change including a whole new set of questions such as: Has/is the Government in contact with any of the EBE Races? Would there be sixty years of Govt denial on that next?

My first thought might be the effect on religious beliefs should it be known we are the product of EBE science? Also wonder what might become of Biblical control for self control over the masses..would social turmoil result?

There's just so many questions on the questions once admission is made.

Major Media UFO Reports:
www.wanttoknow.info...

I put in the above link as I feel major media has begun to open the door from "your crazy if you've seen little green men" to "People are seeing things. what is it their seeing?"."

The Disclosure projects 1 & 2 are very-important as we have extremely credible Military and Civil-Military Employees speaking out about spectacular UFO events which they-themselves had a role in seeing or witnessing the results of.

Dallas

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
In my opinion nothing would change at all. People have the great ability to react to adversity (although we don't welcome it at all either).

Remember, the Bumble Bee is not supposed to fly either...yet it does! So, just remeber that just because there is a Brookings(???) study done on anything..well that does not mean that it will happen!?

Look at it this way, maybe we would have some great new friends and some cool new techy gadgets to play with..........OR, we have a reason to try out all our cool weapons Independence Day Style

Peace, have a great day...just my opinion of course. Why worry about what we have no idea about, even if we did there is not a darned thing we could do about it.

Mondo

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mondogiwa

Well, I hope you know that that old saw about the bumblebee is nonsense. It was recently raised again by that twit Huckabee, but it remains utter bunk.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think having confirmation would help unite humanity whether the aliens are hostile or not. We may finally realize that we should be working together to better ourselves. It would be comforting to know that life has a rhyme and reason. For the religious minded, it would help comfort us that God didn't create this huge universe just for humans. For the non religious, it would help comfort us that we aren't just some random combination of organic molecules.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You are talking about perhaps the greatest discovery in the history of the human race. You can't even begin describing the changes that would occur, with religion, social aspects of society and if peaceful contact is made, advancement in technology(free energy),perhaps they can show us our real history as a human race and our theories in science will be no longer be theories. It is just not as simple as getting up and going to work on monday, if it were we would have disclosure. Again picture a event like 9/11,the tsunami or pearl harbor now times that by 100 million, not a very good anology but I hope you see my point.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiousbeliever
I think having confirmation would help unite humanity whether the aliens are hostile or not. We may finally realize that we should be working together to better ourselves. It would be comforting to know that life has a rhyme and reason. For the religious minded, it would help comfort us that God didn't create this huge universe just for humans. For the non religious, it would help comfort us that we aren't just some random combination of organic molecules.

Actually, we non-believers already know that we're not a random combination of organic molecules. Evolution is very, very non-random.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
www.presidentialufo.com...

I highly recommend every member of ATS read this link. The report whaaa mentions is only a small sliver of what this article discusses.
Really, it gets into what I think are very real issues. At this point I believe that 99% of the members of and visitors to ATS believe in aliens. Spending time and energy looking for pictures that finally PROVE it to be true... it isn't necessary to "re-convince" those who already believe. Holding online contest to see who can present the greatest video proof or most convincing personal experience narrative... it is nice to have our beliefs reinforced,but most of us ALREADY believe and don't need further convincing. OK, enough about that. I am new here, and still exploring. So if I am way off base, I apologize. I just wish that this very intelligent and open minded community here at ATs would spend more time and energy planning what to do about the aliens as opposed to trying to prove that there are aliens.

In reponse to some points brought out in the article whaaa links, ( article = reasons the government shouldn't disclose what they know about UFOs.)

"The government doesn't know much more than we do. The aliens themselves are secretive. The aliens choose to float at the edge of our vision, and choose not to simply land in plain view."

----- This was kind of the point of view I wanted the group to take in discussing this post. If the government admitted having seen the ships and shared the photos / videos and even mentioned discovery of the occasional wreckage, but didn't know much more than us.

"If the government revealed the existance of aliens members of the general population may try to attack the aliens."

------ Well, first the regular guy would have to get a chance to attack the alien. AND , whether the govt. admits UFO existance or not, normal guy may shoot at a ship if he sees one over his house, and he may shoot at a being if it is in his driveway. Government disclosure wouldn't influence this behavior. This is one of the weaker points in this article, I feel.

"citing President Carter's change of attitde as an example, the government is using reverse engineering on UFos and disclosure would compromise national security."

-------- Huh? Why couldn't the govt. just say: we have these photos of UFOs, these videos, and these cases where we recovered their crashed ships, and share that with its citizens. Reporter asks them what they learned from the recovered ships. Govt says we are attemptng reverse engineering. We learned how to make the stealth bomber and how to make computer chips better so far. I cant say what else we are trying to learn because it would compromise national security. Is that so hard? If there are certain parts of what te govt. knows about UFOs that can't be shared without compromising security -- fine. But the simple acknowledgiment of the existance of UFOs cannot possibly corrupt national security by itself.

What replies do the rest of you have to the list of excuses that whaaa has kindly linked for us?

In response to some others of you besides whaaaa.......
If aliens landed and started openly communicating with us, THAT would be monumentally earth shaking. Just to have our government say " yup, we seen 'em too." I don't think would be as huge.

And the government could always find a scapegoat to blame for why they've been hiding this for 60 years. example: It was all the air forces fault, and so we disbanded the airforce and incorporated the within the navy. Man those airforce types were rotten and deceptive, i am glad we did away with them.

When europe found out there was life on america, different looking and different sounding and different acting people, i believe the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker still went about their business.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

[edit o

[edit on 17-1-2008 by BOTAL]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The problem with "disclosure" is that the US government does not act as one coherent enitity.

If you want the government to admit that UFO's exist, they already have. Police men have seen them, public officials have seen them, trained observers have seen them, high ranking military officers have seen them, governors have seen them, presidents have seen them, etc. Even the CIA has released reams of documents of unexplained cases.

There is more than enough evidence to prove that UFO's exist in any court of law, yet about 70% of the American public still do not believe in them. Ironically, that's about the same number of people that don't trust our own government. Therefore, even if the President did come out and tell everyone on national television that there are indeed UFO's, only 30% of the people would trust him enough to believe him anyway.

The only thing that will really change society would be a large-scale event. If there were to be interaction between humans and visitors in some way on a massive scale that could be documented in real time.

Don't hold your breath for full disclosure either. The government will never tell you everything they know for the obvious reason of national security.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Forums like this would be filled with people using this as evidence of 60 years of tyranny, thus calling for the overthrow of existing power regimes. This would begin to gain traction and the argument would find its way to mainstream political rhetoric.

Scientists would question the necessity of our current power supply, and hence, the nature of our current world economy.

In order to maintain the current hierarchy, overt dictatorial action would become necessary, or, the power base would dissolve.

Belief Factions would use the existence of a new Reality to wage philosophical war with other belief factions, further disestablishing the 'peace' and potentially shifting value systems for large segments of the Earth's population.

Belief systems would arise that questioned the very nature of human independence, liberty, willpower, human domain over the earth, etc. It would be bad news for those who will send people on midnight canoe rides in order to defend the status quo.

In my mind, all good things if truth conquers irrationality. But Senator Clay Davis, 'sheeeeeeet', he would not approve of losing his money supply. And for the masses, irrationality would probably rule supreme in a time of great uncertainty.

But that's speculation, of course.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Actually for the religious minded their reaction would depend on the particular religion they believe in. Christians for example believe their god created them in his image, they believe they are his special creation. To Christians the knowledge that aliens exist would be quite a shock and may decrease their faith.

I'm an atheist and I don't see how the confirmation that aliens exist would change my belief that life on our planet was the result of a random combination of organic molecules. If a random combination of organic molecules resulted in life on our planet, why can't that be the case for other planets as well?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by disownedsky

Actually, we non-believers already know that we're not a random combination of organic molecules. Evolution is very, very non-random.

I think what he really meant to say was that we non-believers think life originated from random combination of organic molecules.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
There would be some buzz about it for a while but it would quickly down die. Then people would go about their lives as normal.

I seriously don't think very many people would care.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BOTAL

do you think they would impose an alien tax?

<<   2 >>

join